I'm getting a new fuzzbutt today!!! :D

Options
songbyrdsweet
songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
So some of you might know Aries and Mars, my current furbabies:

n31207658_33517481_1694.jpg

Well today I'm getting another one!!! :happy: :happy:

There are two shops that have male rats..one has a ton of wittle babies that are about 5 weeks old (ZOMG CUTE) and another one has Dumbos, which are also SO adorable because of how their ears grow--on the sides like elephants hehe! Here's what one looks like:

dumbo.jpg

However will I choose?!?!?! I will just have to try and snuggle as many as I can and see who's the sweetest. :laugh:

The only thing that's a bummer is that I have to quarantine the new guy for a couple weeks, and I have to wash my hands and wear different clothing when handling him versus the two I have to prevent the spread of any disease he might have. Then introductions will be...interesting...with three unneutered bucks!

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    Options
    So some of you might know Aries and Mars, my current furbabies:

n31207658_33517481_1694.jpg

Well today I'm getting another one!!! :happy: :happy:

There are two shops that have male rats..one has a ton of wittle babies that are about 5 weeks old (ZOMG CUTE) and another one has Dumbos, which are also SO adorable because of how their ears grow--on the sides like elephants hehe! Here's what one looks like:

dumbo.jpg

However will I choose?!?!?! I will just have to try and snuggle as many as I can and see who's the sweetest. :laugh:

The only thing that's a bummer is that I have to quarantine the new guy for a couple weeks, and I have to wash my hands and wear different clothing when handling him versus the two I have to prevent the spread of any disease he might have. Then introductions will be...interesting...with three unneutered bucks!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    OMGosh! That is the sweetest lil face ever! :smooched:
    He looks like Remy from the movie Ratatouille!
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    OMG! I'd have to go with Dumbo! Love,love,love the lil furbabies ears! I'd kiss em off!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I knowwww, I love dumbos! But the dumbos are older, so intros might be more difficult. The little babies don't smell like 'men' yet so it's easier to introduce them to bucks. But my boys are really friendly so I'm sure either one would work in time.

I have to wait though because the store with the dumbos doesn't open until 11 and the other one isn't getting their babies until 12-1. :sad:
  • gingermoon
    gingermoon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Awww..... they're so cute!!!!!

Hard choice... but I'm being drawn to the dumbo!!
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I rescued a black and white rat from my boyfriend's old roommate's snake before we moved into our new apartment. My grandma rat-sit for a few days and decided to keep him! :indifferent: I figured he'd get more attention at her house, so I let her have him and bought a huge cage for him. But, now, they've fed him SO much he's MASSIVE. And, they let one of their cats in the house, so they really don't take the rat out as much as I'd hoped. :frown:

Regardless, they're so cute!!!! I love the little dumbo ears . . . awwwwww. :heart:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I've got one in a mouse trap out in my shop you can have. I haven't thrown it away yet.

Well at least you're using humane methods...:ohwell:
  • kj9999swim
    Options
    I've got one in a mouse trap out in my shop you can have. I haven't thrown it away yet.

Another sensitive man!! :wink:

I had a rat named Templeton when i was little. He was sooooo cute!
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options

Thats horrible!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I rescued a black and white rat from my boyfriend's old roommate's snake before we moved into our new apartment. My grandma rat-sit for a few days and decided to keep him! :indifferent: I figured he'd get more attention at her house, so I let her have him and bought a huge cage for him. But, now, they've fed him SO much he's MASSIVE. And, they let one of their cats in the house, so they really don't take the rat out as much as I'd hoped. :frown:

Regardless, they're so cute!!!! I love the little dumbo ears . . . awwwwww. :heart:

LOL yea Mars is kinda big around the middle...quite squishy. :laugh: But they were weaned too early so I don't think they're going to get huge. I didn't realize how young they were until last night when I was looking up how to sex rats. We had a really difficult time telling when we got our boys, and it's extremely obvious around 4 weeks, so it looks like their owners just were trying to get rid of them around 3wks of age. Usually they don't wean until a bit later....so it's pretty sad, but at least they didn't end up as snake food!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    We had mice when my son was little and we lived in an apt. which allowed no pets. I remember our "safety password" changed after one of the mice died.... It became "Mickey is burried in the backyard". I'm sure nobody would have guessed that one!
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    I suppose I should add that now we've moved on... We have a cat, a dog (the family pets) and the son that had the mice now owns a beta (such a cool bowl he's got for it... He could care less about the fish, but loves the bowl, lol) and a garter snake named Rex. Rex is only about 8 or 9 inches long and not even as big around as my pinky... He only eats worms right now. The other boys can't wait until he's big enough to eat mice... I'm opting for the frozen ones, so less mess, but my DH isn't thrilled about the idea of warming them in the microwave. Either way, it's a while down the road... If we go with live mice, I'm wondering how many will become pets instead of food, because they are cute lil things!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    We had mice when my son was little and we lived in an apt. which allowed no pets. I remember our "safety password" changed after one of the mice died.... It became "Mickey is burried in the backyard". I'm sure nobody would have guessed that one!

Yeaaaa ours is no pets as well..too bad the woman across the hall has a dog and the apartment owner KNOWS but is okay with it because she's been here a long time! And the guy upstairs has a gf who brings her dog when she comes to visit. And they allow smoking! Ew! That will damage an apartment more than a pet will. I hate no-pet apartments. :grumble: Mice are really cute, they come in all sorts of colors and patterns just like rats. Just tinier hehe :smile:
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    I remember we had an awsome one we named Oscar... His fur was all different lengths. He looked so shaggy and dishevelled. He was the nicest one too... liked being held ALOT. Unfortunately, one New Years Eve, one of my roommate's friends was playing with him, dropped him and he was missing for a few days. I found him hiding in the rolls of wrapping paper, but he was not doing well, because the cat had found him first. Poor bugger.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I remember we had an awsome one we named Oscar... His fur was all different lengths. He looked so shaggy and dishevelled. He was the nicest one too... liked being held ALOT. Unfortunately, one New Years Eve, one of my roommate's friends was playing with him, dropped him and he was missing for a few days. I found him hiding in the rolls of wrapping paper, but he was not doing well, because the cat had found him first. Poor bugger.

Awwwwe poor baby!! :cry: My parents have 3 cats, but the worst one did was just sit on top of the rat cage and watch Rat TV when I went to visit hehe...they will be living there again over the summer, so I'll be checking in all the time!! I have a 4 yr old brother and I don't want him opening the cage. :ohwell:
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    That's torture for a kid to not be able to play with them!... Probably better that he's 4 and not 7 or 8, because then he'd be bustin the cage open and showing off for his friends. But they are soo soft, and I love when they wrap their tails around your finger/wrist (for stability, I am assuming) when you're petting them.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Well I got my baby!
    I got the best of both worlds--I got a Dumbo that IS a baby--and he's a rex too!!!! Rexes have curly hair and silly curly whiskers. He has a black hood and is almost a bareback but has a spot on his bottom. He also has a perfect little white stripe on his forehead. Edit: Pictures aren't working! He looks like the baby I posted earlier but with short wavy hair and big curly whiskers.

He is around 5 wks old and SO cute! There were 5 boys in the tank so I just stuck my hand in there and saw what they did. At first they were all nervous, but then the two rexes came up and started sniffing my hand and grooming my knuckles hehe..so I picked each one up separately, and when I picked this little guy up he climbed right onto my shoulder and then around to the back of my neck and wouldn't leave lol! He even stayed up there when we went to two different shops for food and in the car as well. He fell asleep even. :smooched: Now he is set up in his new cage and exploring. His tank at the shop was very bare and not well ventilated :cry: so he has a little bit of a sneeze, but with his great new diet full of fruits and veggies and better living conditions he'll be fine. He is so funny...he doesn't walk around obstacles, he just pushes them out of the way! And so far he loves cottage cheese, grapes, brocollli, watermelon, and cantaloupe hehe :happy:
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

Thats horrible!

Nope. Thats Max.
    :laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    That's torture for a kid to not be able to play with them!... Probably better that he's 4 and not 7 or 8, because then he'd be bustin the cage open and showing off for his friends. But they are soo soft, and I love when they wrap their tails around your finger/wrist (for stability, I am assuming) when you're petting them.

Well I let him feed them when I'm around, but we keep them in my dad's office which he's not allowed to be in anyway. I always get the tail right in my mouth while they walk around on my shoulders haha :laugh: