Coconut water....

Options
Has anyone tried drinking coconut water? I have read so many good reviews about the benefits of it....I am going to try it...but was wondering what other people thought about it????

Thanks for any info!!

Replies

• StellaBby10
    Options
    BLEHHH!!!! :sick: I think its nasty.... but, everyone likes diff things lol
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have been making smoothies with it...mango or pineapple with yogurt & spinach....DELISH!!!
  • zissou
    Options
    I love it! I drink it every day. Zico makes a chocolate flavored coconut water that makes an amazing dessert!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Just don't drink too much at once, too much and it will have a laxative effect.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i drink young coconut water after bikram yoga. i like the slightly sweet taste (but it must be cold). it helps rebalance my potassium and sugars.

there are a lot of different brands. several are really nasty, so if you try one you don't like, don't give up on it. my favorite brand is 'amy and brian'. http://www.amyandbriannaturals.com/

enjoy!
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    Cant drink it on its own, but its delicious when blended with a can of pineapple, I pretend I hav a pina colada:laugh:
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    It's definitely different, but I always try and drink it at least once a day. It's best when it's almost to the point of freezing. And I agree... a smoothie would be delicious. I would add it to my morning juice with kale, spinach, pears, and oranges. Soooo good. I would drink it an hour or two before working out, and for me, it definitely helped. I did a lot of Bikram yoga about a month ago and without it, I don't think I could have gotten through!
  • StarlaDesiree
    StarlaDesiree Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I tried some last week. It was odd at first, but I started to like it after a few more drinks. It tastes kind of nutty. It doesn't have that strong coconut flavor like you would expect. It's a pretty mild flavor that actually caught me off guard at first.
  • ostar8433
    Options
    :sick: I don't like it at all...
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i've drank coconut water/milk before and like it ok but never used it as a 'diet' source before.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Tried the one from GNC...I expect monkey-piss has a similar flavor :ohwell:
  • tanyar23
    tanyar23 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I seem to only like the fresh coconut water from coconuts. The packaged stuff to me tastes like blech.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    fresh chilled coconut water is delicious! I drank it in Central America and when I got back to the States I was excited to see that you could find a packaged variety. The packaged one tastes off to me though, and I have trouble drinking it straight now.
  • StellaBby10
    Options
    well i've only drank the ACTUAL coconut water and I didnt like it...like... I cracked open a coconut and drank the water lol
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It goes well in a post workout smoothie. Fresh coconut water is so much yummier (I bought a coconut yesterday) but the packaged is going to be the best cost effective choice. Really it's one of those things that's useful if you are an endurance athlete, but otherwise water is going to rehydrate just as well.
  • brntgreen
    Options
    i love it!! it keeps me hydrated and has magnesium and potassium so i dont get leg cramps at night i like the amy and brian brand the best!
  • Theselast50lbs
    Options
    I hear good things about it, I couldnt get past the taste.
  • jgkimo
    Options
    Coconut water is nature's natural electorlyte; Extremely good for you. Takes some getting used to, but I drink it on a regular basis, but be warned it helps as a laxative if you drink too much.
    High in potassium, fat free, cholesterol free, low in acidity and no added sugar, Contains five essential electrolytes--potassium, magnesium, calcium, sodium and phosphorous.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I had the milk from a fresh coconut when I was in Hawaii last year. They actually chop off the top and give you a straw. That was pretty darn good. I've had coconut water sold in the paper boxes here. Absolutely disgusting straight out of the container. I suppose if I mixed it into a smoothie it would be bearable but the flavor alone was definitely not pleasant.
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree! Zico is the best. Chocolate and plain...the other flavors do not appeal to me. They're expensive at a regular grocery store such as Kroger, Target, etc., but frequently on sale at Sprouts.