P90X question

Options
For those of you who have done or are doing P90X, how much is the pull up bar used?
My husband really wants to do P90X, and I wanted to do Insanity.
I'm considering buying him P90X, but our doorways reach all the way to the ceiling. I don't think there's any way to mount a pull up bar.
Can he still do the program effectively? or would you have any other suggestions for the pull up portions?

Thanks!

Replies

• Rob82
    Rob82 Posts: 15
    Options
    I did the entire program with resistance bands. Usually can buy a set of them that comes with a strap with a little ball in it that allows you to use the band for pull ups on any door.
  • shelly0129
    Options
    I have done, still working on p90x. There is an option to use bands instead of the pull up bar. Beachbody sells the bands and the apparatus to attach it to your door. I just bought some generic bands and just loop it over the top of the door and close it. There are also progressions with the band, kneeling and sitting that play on the resistance to make it harder or easier and which gives you a pretty good workout. I thoroughly enjoy the p90x program and think it's a really great investment. Good luck to you both!
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    you will definitely need a pull up bar! we have a cheap one from walmart, it was like 20 bucks. if you have a framed doorway, you can use it. if not, maybe find a metal bar and have him hang it in the garage or basement? theres one workout thats pushups and pullups for like 60 min. so hes gunna need it ( you could PRY do it without, but your not going to get the benefits of the workout for sure)
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    true, you can use the bands, but i didnt find it as hard as the actual pull ups because the bands are very easy.
  • deanmarino
    deanmarino Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can definitely use resistance bands for the workouts including using them for pullups. I use them whenever I travel and still want to do my workouts.

Please let me know if I can help you in any way.

Regards.
  • MThurs
    MThurs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had the bar that stretched in the doorjam (bought at a sports store in my area) - it ended up cracking my doorjam. So, I ordered the over-the-door bar thru Beachbody - sure wished I would've do it from the get go.

You use the pull up bar during Chest & Back and I think during Legs & Back. You are able to use the bands - which as a girl using the bar my quest was to do them pullups with less and less assistance - eventually getting able to do some unassisted. If it's a guy then the bands are kinda light - and the bar is more effective.

The Beachbody bar has one other advantage - 7 ways to use the handles.

Whichever you decide the workouts are great!!

Marni
  • Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    We hooked the resistance bands to the pull up bar and used them instead of the bar itself. I can't do an actual pull up so I had to use resistance bands. You should try that if you don't have a place for the pull up bar.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I agree, the resistance bands are great. I just got a new set at Academy that comes with the interchangeable handles to go with different clip on bands so you can customize the amount of resistance and with an over the door attachment. I use that a whole whole lot & it works wonders especially on the back!
  • willdbill0712
    willdbill0712 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Each routine they show you how to do it with bands if that is all you have. We started off the first few weeks with the bands, but moved to a door frame pull up bar. And are now in the process of installing a real bar in an extra room we have under the stairs.

Any and all of those options will work.

P90x kicks my butt every night, and I love every second of it.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I use bands if you get the stiff one with more resistance they are not easier than a pull up
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I agree that pullups are a better workout even with proper resistance levels on the bands. Pullups are really a whole body thing, as opposed to a targeted exercise. I started going to a gym or a park for one of the pullup days every week, about halfway through, and really liked the workout. Maybe you could do that?
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    He's almost 300 pounds so I dont trust a pressure mount bar (we rent so this is not our apartment!)
    The doors go all the way up so there is no ledge at all to hang a pull up bar.

Do you have any recommendations for bands I can buy? I would definitely need it for the weights and pull bar portions
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The pull-up bar is used a fair amount.

Resistance bands can be used although I feel that the pull-up bar is a better choice.

The type of pull-up bar that hooks over the top of the door frame may not work with your door style but maybe a straight bar that just goes from one side to the other will work instead. A straight bar is really all that is needed as the extra hand holds are not used on the other style.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Doorway-Chin-Up-Bar/2502557/product.html
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everlast-Chin-Up-Sit-Up-Bar/8056490
    Thanks!
    He's almost 300 pounds so I dont trust a pressure mount bar (we rent so this is not our apartment!)

Do you have any recommendations for bands I can buy? I would definitely need it for the weights and pull bar portions
    Saw this after I replied. That explains it.
  • kiku76
    Options
    Thanks!

to clarify, the bands would be more for him than me. I prefer to do Insanity. Though I dont mind trying P90X eventually.
  • deanmarino
    deanmarino Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Yes, I bought a set of these and they are tremendous and have a great guarantee as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodylastics-13-Piece-Maximum-Quick-Clip-Resistance/dp/B0026NANMY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1315933517&sr=8-6

Great stuff there! hope that helps. It has everything you need to do all of the exercises P90X asks.
  • 50Fit
    50Fit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bodylastics are fantastic resistance bands and you can get a whole set for around $60.00 that will provide plenty of resistance for your husband's P90X workouts. They are very well made bands, easy to change and also come with a door jam. P90X and Insanity are fantastic programs. Give me a shout out if you or your husband have questions. I've done both. I am an Independent Beachbody Coach but as you can see from my resistance band recommendation, I don't try to sell people.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have done P90X and Insanity and agreed with the resistance bands. I didn't use the pull up bars at all but there are many other moves that will make your arms burn in agony. LOL
  • kiku76
    Options
    thanks deanmarino and 50Fit for the rec. those look like what I'm looking for. Hubby is a big guy but he's also really strong.