a question about when I weigh myself

Options
Ok, I have a question for all of you here on mfp. So I weighed myself this morning and I have lost weight! My problem is when I first started on here my starting weight is from when I had weighed myself at night. Should I use my weight now as my starting point, or should I celebrate the loss even though I am not sure of the actual amount? Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Celebrate the loss!! Try to be consistent in the time of your weigh-ins for accuracy. And - very helpful to take your measurements now so when the scale "stalls" you can see the inches shrink! Congrats on your loss!!! woo hoo!!!
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    celebrate your loss. weighting at night vs morning is generally like 2 pounds BUT still, celebrate! I would.
  • stacyrhoades11
    stacyrhoades11 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    my morning and evening weights arent really that reat of a difference maybe a pound or two at most, id keep it like it is and be proud of your achomplishment!!
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    and from now on weigh in the AM.
  • MyChance2011
    MyChance2011 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've always heard it's best to weigh yourself at about the same time each time you weigh. And your weigh can fluctuate throughout the week, so weighing once a week can help give a more accurate representation of how well you are doing. I'm no fitness guru, this is just my personal observation.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Check in with your new weight and make it a habit that on your weight in day you'll weigh yourself in the morning right after you wake up and take a pee. If you weigh yourself at the same time, every time, you'll get a much more accurate assessment of your progress.

Congrats!
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Celebrate the loss :) any loss is significant

I weigh myself a few times a week, but I only record my weight once every couple of weeks, usually on a Sunday or Wednesday.
  • kaylynn54
    Options
    Ok, I have a question for all of you here on mfp. So I weighed myself this morning and I have lost weight! My problem is when I first started on here my starting weight is from when I had weighed myself at night. Should I use my weight now as my starting point, or should I celebrate the loss even though I am not sure of the actual amount? Thanks in advance for your help!

I always weigh myself in the morning. I always weigh more at night, so I never use that weight, but I would still celebrate the loss!!! Just keep at it and your dreams will be reality one day. :flowerforyou:
  • amfeierabend74
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I am going to celebrate my loss and only weigh myself in the morning.

11028805.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would use today's weight as my starting point. Then weigh yourself once per week (same day each week), at the same time (first thing in the morning after using the bathroom), either naked or wearing the exact same clothes, with the scale in the same spot each time.

Remember that weight flucuates considerably day-to-day so don't get discouraged if the scale goes up slightly on the days you weigh yourself. Focus on long-term trends.
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I'd say celebrate it as a loss... and from now on weigh in the mornings. About a month into my weight loss I bought a scale, it was about 3lbs off from the scale at work that I used (plus at work I was clothed) so I took it as a loss. Congrats on your loss, btw!
  • melbaby925
    Options
    Keep track of your measurements! I would take them today - don't freak out over them, they're just numbers that you'll never see again - and then take your measurements again every month around this time. You will be more amazed with the inches lost than the pounds on some days. I lost 10 lbs my first month, but 17 inches! So that will keep you going.

Oh, and I agree with everyone else - weigh in the mornings, and make sure it's always about the same time. I do it after I get up and work out for maximum effect ;) Every little bit helps on some days!
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options
    Celebrate it!! yay! and Congratulations!
    I weigh myself in the morning after I pee and before I drink my morning water but I've been logging my weight every couple of weeks. I want to start doing it every Monday so it will be an incentive for me not to go crazy over the weekend. lol
  • gary8964
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. I always weigh myself in the morning when I wake up. Any weight loss is a reason to celebrate....so celebrate!! Good luck
  • melliemel818
    melliemel818 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Celebrate your loss!!! I like to weigh myself in the morning after I've pee'd but before I eat, because at night, your body is still digesting all the food you've eaten. So you weigh more at night. In the morning, you've basically got a clean tank. You'll get an honest weigh in for the most part and I only weigh myself the same day once a week (every sunday morning) so I don't get to discouraged if I see the scale #'s go up or down, but I know a lot of people weigh themselves everyday to keep them motivated.
  • amfeierabend74
    Options
    I cant believe how amazingly supportive all of you are. Thank you so much for the advice and the words of encouragement!

11028805.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods