Portobello Mushroom Caps

Options
I bought the portobello mushroom caps at Sam's to make a risotto and it turned out that I only needed two of them. They're GINORMOUS!!! At any rate, I don't want to throw out the other two so I am looking for some ideas. I'd like to use them in a side dish that I'll put with a protein (or incorporate a protein into). Can any give me any ideas???

Replies

• webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Not a side dish idea, but have you ever tried grilling them whole? Portobello burgers ROCK. A little olive oil, garlic, some fresh herbs ... YUM. :)
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You can make a spaghetti sauce with them instead of using the gound turkey or beef.
  • abbie017
    Options
    I broiled them, then made a mixture of ricotta cheese, mozarella, spinach, and garlic, and then baked for a few minutes until the cheese got nice and gooey. I'm a sucker for cheese and mushrooms, so this was the perfect pairing for me!
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I eat them like I would a hamburger. I love them grilled, with w/low sodium soy sauce, and slapped between an 80 calorie hamburger bun....so good!! Dang, now Im craving a mushroom burger!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Not a side dish idea, but have you ever tried grilling them whole? Portobello burgers ROCK. A little olive oil, garlic, some fresh herbs ... YUM. :)

Oh I LOVE portobello burgers! I'm just trying to feed a family of 6 and 2 mushrooms aren't going to work like that. I will keep that in mind for myself though. Thanks!
  • poustotah
    Options
    You can make a spaghetti sauce with them instead of using the gound turkey or beef.

Ms. Flea I figured you'd have an idea for me. I'm going to pair them with this homemade arrabiata that I made. That's going to be terrific!
  • adventuring
    Options
    I agree about grilling them whole and using them as mushroom burgers. I like to marinate mine in balsamic vinegar, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, and a little olive oil and then put them on the George Foreman for two or three minutes. It's delicious.
  • eh613c
    eh613c Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like to remove some of the grills and put pesto sauce and top it with mozzarella. Then I bake it in 350 deg for 10 mins. Makes a yummy lunch!
  • poustotah
    Options
    I broiled them, then made a mixture of ricotta cheese, mozarella, spinach, and garlic, and then baked for a few minutes until the cheese got nice and gooey. I'm a sucker for cheese and mushrooms, so this was the perfect pairing for me!

Almost like a stuffed mushroom cap? That sounds really good.
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    They add a really nice flavor/texture to sauteed spinach.
  • poustotah
    Options
    They add a really nice flavor/texture to sauteed spinach.

What a great idea! Everyone loves spinach here too!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I make them into little pizzas. I use parmesano reggiano cheese, leeks, and bake it all in the oven. I take off the stems.