Weight loss Tips? What is the best exercise for LARGER Women

Options
2»

Replies

• HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym and they had an optional fitness assessment. I was nervous to do it, but a nice trainer went around to all the machines with me and showed me how to use them. He also had tips on how to make them more comfortable to use for larger women. Like on the leg press machine, if you recline the back of the machine a bit your tummy doesn't get in the way.

And like everyone else said, walking. I like the C25K program (Couch to 5K). It gets you ready for a 5k by having you build up your endurance by doing increments of running or faster walking during your walk.
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Before you begin exercising, think about your overall fitness. Do you have any orthopedic issues, like arthritis or injuries? How about your cardiac health? If your Dr. okays an exercise program, you could first start simply by walking. In fact, before doing any other exercises including weight training, a gentle warm-up, like walking, is important. If you're walking in your neighborhood, look up walkrunjog on the web and plot your route. You can figure speed and time and make up alternate routes. Mall walking, especially in the heat we're experiencing in the SW, or walking on a treadmill, is great too. That's what I do. Start very cautiously, perhaps 5 minutes every other day, the first week. Increase a minute or 2 every other time after that until you can walk for 30 minutes. Then try to increase your speed. I first started at about 2 mph. Because I have knee issues, I will only walk 2.5-3 mph.

Once you walk a bit, then try using free weights. Don't be embarassed to start with small weights. At a cardiac rehab they start everyone, men and women, with 1-pound weights. Look up some simple weight exercises on the web, like bicep curls, pectoral flys, etc. Begin slowly and gradually increase repetitions and sets, then move up to 3, 5, and 7.5 pound weights.

I now work with a trainer, have since March. I was in terrible shape and could barely walk up steps. I told her I wouldn't respond well to a "Jillian" type trainer and wouldn't do things that made me sick or hurt. The results are STUNNING. I am able to walk up steps without pain, get up and down from chairs far easier, and my back pain is gone.

There are plenty of other options: yoga (but if you have trouble getting on the floor and back up, you may need to wait), recumbent cycling (I do this--very effective and easy on my knees and back), the eliptical (I started this last week at 2 minutes, ramp 3, and can now last 5 minutes), and more. My daughter's a Pilates instructor and wants to work with me, but I'm waiting until I'm stronger and more flexible. I have also done the Curves circuit, which is fun too.

This last thing, which I really love and has helped immeasurably, is water aerobics and water walking. If you have access to a pool, go for it. It's great for joints and YOU DON'T SWEAT! And, you really do get a workout. Several years ago I lost 100 pounds and water aerobics (3xweekly) helped greatly. If you don't have a pool, check with your local recreation department or Y.

If I can do it, YOU SURELY CAN!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Walk at Home (Leslie Sansone dvd's) is also a good "walk"
    you 'walk' 1 mile in 15 minutes.
    I was so heavy when I first started that I had to do it mostly sitting down.
    I was also doing leg lifts and bicep/tricep exercises that I remembered from
    a video I have that's packed away. (Bun Busters Total Body workout).

Here's a link to the WAH video I do. there are 3 vids on the page.
    I do the one on the left. I do plan on buying some of her vids, just can't atm.
    http://www.walkathome.com/try-walk-at-home/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    The one you will do consistently. No matter how great an exercise can be, if it ain't done, then it's useless.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been exercising at all, I'd start with walking and work up to a power walk. Once you have built up some stamina try different things until you find something you find fun, because that will be the one you stick with.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    When I started, I hadn't exercised in YEARS and I was over 300. I started with walking and elliptical. I could barely do 3 mins on the elliptical without dying. My trainer set goals to get to 15 mins the first week adn 30 mins the second week. By the end of week two I was at 30 mins. After a bit of feeling more into a routine I started spin class (yes, even at my size). For me, it was a huge motivator because it wasn't boring, there was always something new and it was low impact on my body but high-impact on my fat! :-)

Just find something that you LIKE to do, set goals and you will be more likely to stick with it.
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    The best way to start is just plain old walking!!

This or swimming. Water aerobics is fun too and very easy on the joints.