attn fitness geeks: please help explain what just happened

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but with your HRM did you set your resting HR? Mine said to do it first thing when you wake up in the morning BEFORE you ever get out of bed. I would say you pushed yourself a bit, but not to worry so much. I used to be like that and my HR would skyrocket. Now I have a lot of days where I can't get it above 140 and it p***es me off! Hopefully one of the trainers on here will see your post and respond.

My HRM did not ask for a resting heart rate.

Over the 8+ months I have been losing weight, I have constantly pushed myself to get as much 'hard' exercise in as I could. Often my HRM would beep and tell me I am reaching the upper limits. I have lost 20some pounds and around 6% of my bodyfat. I can't imagine those 20some pounds were muscle loss, since my bodyfat % has reduced so much during this time as well.

How can I know if I am really 'hurting' myself while pushing to the limit? I cannot IMAGINE walking and staying at a low HR for my workout (my resting HR is incredibly high, so just walking to the bathroom and back puts me at like 60% hr)

At your age, you are not "hurting" yourself. HRMs are passive instruments, not active directors. They respond the way they are programmed to respond. If you have not changed the default settings to fit your particular physiology, then the "alarms" mean nothing. It's like if you bought a new watch, but never set it to the correct time or to your time zone, then wondered why you were always late.

That being said, pushing yourself to the limit every workout is not always the best strategy. A balanced program that includes low, medium and high-intensity exercise usually provides the best overall results.