appetite = gone

Options
I consistently am having trouble reaching even my basic calorie requirements for the day (much less my workout calories) because my appetite is just shot. I'm never hungry anymore, so even if it feels like I've eaten a lot, the site tells me I'm anywhere from 500- 1000 calories off.

Does anyone else struggle with this? What do you do?

Replies

• vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    No, but I wish I did! Are you exercising/or enough? That always triggers my appetite with a vengence!
  • sdwelk11
    Options
    I do. I don't have cravings or hunger anymore and there are times that I don't even want to eat but I just do it because I know my body needs it and if I don't do what I need to then my body can go into starvation mode. I just keep pushing thru!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Increase the caloric load of what you do eat, so that the food that you do take is more nutritious. Eat great food from the great cuisines of the world: French, Italian, Indian. Try out new delicacies. Avoid boredom in food.
  • lunaephiliac
    Options
    I've been having the same problems. my guess is a combination of stress about food (nothing feels like a good choice), and depression. try exercise before you eat, especially in the morning.

or pot. that works wonders.
  • Crazyrunningwolf
    Options
    I have the same problem sometimes, and what I do is to just schedule my eating times and just eat whether I am hungry or not. Just think of your body like your car. If you did not put enough gas into your car then it would not start and you would not be able to drive to work or anywhere else!! So if you are not putting enough food fuel into your body the same thing happens, starvation mode=no weight loss. This is similar to what happens to your car when it runs out of gas. So whether you are hungry or not, EAT!! Your car cannot run without gas and your body cannot function without food. :happy: I hope this helps. :happy:
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    when i go swimming, i am always ravenous, try going swimming

or if i eat fruit only for breakfast, i get starving.
  • Babs0515
    Options
    I am not craving the food that I used to and since I am eating more healthy, I also find it hard to eat all my calories. I do best when I eat small meals instead of the forum of B/L/D/Snack I do BB LL DD SS. I seem to do better. Going out to a restaurant has literally become a nightmare, the plates seem so big that I am full before I take a bite. I have to box up most of it right away so I am able to eat something. Thanks for sharing that, I am trying to get used to this new appetite too.
  • cervenec
    Options
    I don't get hungry that often, but I when I need to eat to make sure I get all my calories in the for the day, I eat either luna lemon zest bars, or plain yogurt with fruit. I've found I'll be okay with eating those when I'm not hungry, because with almost anything else just thinking about it makes me feel sick lol
  • Bunni8E8
    Options
    I know what you mean. I could go days with out eating a full meal, maybe just a few snacks here and there, and really only because I realized I hadn't eaten yet. What works for me is a schedule. At 8 am I eat breakfast, even if I'm not hungry, at 1130 I have lunch, again even if I'm not hungry, at 6 pm I eat dinner, might not be hungry but I eat something. It even helps when I eat things that arn't heavy. Now I find that around those times not only am I thinking "oh I need to eat." I also have my body in the habbit of knowing that, that is when I will eat and to be ready for it. Now I find I have less day's in starvation mode and I have more energy. And remember for the first month you may gain weight for doing this just because your body is so used to being in starvation mode, but if you keep it up you will start to lose weight as your body realizes that it can go back to normal.

It only takes 28 days to make a habbit. Just don't get discuraged when you gain a little weight. It will come off especially if the food your eating is healthy.
    Good luck!
  • bevhols
    bevhols Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Both my husband and I have the same problem ... to lose weight I should consume 1200 calories and 1550 for him ... not even looking at our exercise (which is more casual than strenuous) we are having a hard time eating enough ... we have gone from over eating to a great level of awareness of WHAT we are eating ... we space out snacks and meals so we are eating 5 to 6 meals a day and plan ahead for eating out. Between that and drinking appropriate amounts of water we are FULL. Like you, we do not want to go into starvation mode and plateau or even possibly gain! This definitely is tough ... will be watching responses to your post carefully ;-D