Mud Runner

Options
Just got back from a nice trail run. I love running in the mud and water. It is so refreshing and care-free! Anyone else?

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a nice trail run. I love running in the mud and water. It is so refreshing and care-free! Anyone else?

Any tips for a beginner? I'm doing C25K at the moment, but in a few months I want to be where you are :-)
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Oh, I do, I do! I used to run trails a lot more often than I do now but I've got a 10K in October that I need to start training for soon....like TODAY. Any tips?
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    have completed the US Marine Corp mud run two years. Love it
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I knew I wasn't the only dirty person on here. I am no where near a seasoned runner on road or trail, but I like to think that each run brings me that much closer.

Before May last year, I never ran anywhere unless a dog was chasing me! Some coworkers decided to create a team for a local 5K race and for some reason I signed up so I figured I better starting running. My goal was to run the entire 5K and I add about 6 weeks to train. I was not aware of the C25K program at the time so I just went out and gave it a shot. I found a map of the course and decided that was the perfect place to learn. I have always been active on bikes and elliptical, but not running. I just "jogged" until I felt like I had to take a rest so I walked but kept moving around the course. I did that for the entire 5K course. I probably went out 3-4 days/week and every time I was jogging further and further without having to walk. Next thing I knew, I was jogging the entire course without walking at all! I surprised myself when all of a sudden I saw my buddy at the finish line and that is when I realized I was almost to the end!

Once I could make the whole course jogging, I tried to go a little faster each time up until race day. My fastest time in training was 32 minutes but may race day goal was under 30! I ended up running the course in 30m20s!!!! So close!

I have continued to run ever longer races with most of them being trail runs without and without obstacles of distances up to 12 miles (www.toughmudder.com We did thr tri-state race and doing it again this Nov!)!!! The 12 mile race was last Nov after only running for 6-7 months. I ran the same 5K again this year with a final time of 26m59s!!!!!!!!

So in short, my tips would be to start off very slowly and work up to desired distances and times being sure to stretch before, after and during if necessary! And oh yea...get a great pair of runing shoes from a professional runnning store that sizes you up for the best fit. You will pay for them ($100) but they are almost a necessity!

If anyone is in PA/DE/NJ area and interested in doing the tough mudder, check out the site and let me know! It is a blast! I hope my ramble is enough to convince at least one person to hit the trails and not be afraid to get a little dirty!!!!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    *jumps up and down!!!!