BMR vs. Suggested Cal Intake?

Options
Hi! Quick questions concerning BMR vs Actual Calorie Intake.

My BMR = 1525
MFP Suggested Net Cal Intake = 1200

Questions:

1) Hypothetically if I don't exercise and just eat 1200 cals/day, is this screwing over my body by consuming less than my BMR?

2) If I am working out, if I'm burning 200-400 cals per day and eating ~1400-1600 consistently, again is this screwing over my body because my NET cals are 1200 and thus under my BMR?

Replies

• HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The difference between your BMR and you intake is the deficit you need to loose weight.
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Very good question. Should we be eating our BMR?
  • papa5280
    Options
    So, if you consume at your BMR, and don't exercise, you theoretically will maintain your weight.

The 1200 target is to lose. Exercise increases the net calories that you burn.
  • xxrouguexx
    xxrouguexx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't pay any mind to the bmr calories unless all you do is loaf around the house all day. And if your exercising, you don't have to eat the calories you burned, if you do that, you won't gain weight but you won't lose any either. Just follow your daily calorie goal for best results.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    So, if you consume at your BMR, and don't exercise, you theoretically will maintain your weight.

This
  • papa5280
    Options

Yes, if your goal is to maintain your weight. if you want to lose, you need to eat below your BMR. Every 3500 calories below your BMR = 1 pound. So, 500 cals per day below your BMR = 1 pound per week.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

No. If you eat your BMR and do no exercise except normal living you will lose weight because you are still eating below the amount your body needs to maintain you.

Only eat LESS than your BMR if you are very obese.
  • girlinahat
    Options

Yes. Unless you are seriously obese in which case it may be okay.
  • theperfectratio
    theperfectratio Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhhh conflicting opinions! So which is it...eating BMR = maintaining, or eating BMR = healthy weight loss (combined w/exercise)?

For context, I'm on the lower end of 'overweight' according to the BMI count (~25.3), so I'm not obese. I work out ~3-5 times a week and I HAVE been losing but I've also been eating sort of erratically (one day 1200, one day 1500, etc etc). I'm trying to figure out EXACTLY where I should be targeting in terms of intake...I dont' want to overeat, but I don't want to undereat either! >_<
  • girlinahat
    Options
    BMR = what your body needs to survive if you are say, sleeping and bedridden all day. You need to multiply that by an activity level to find out your TDEE - ie the amount your body needs for you to get through a normal day, so for me, being mostly sedentary, I multiply my BMR (1252) by 1.2 to get my daily maintenance cals (1502). to lose weight I need to eat less than 1502, but no less that 1252.

It sounds like you should do something similar. Oh, and that should really be net calories.
  • girlinahat
    Options
    Ps. I'm constantly amazed how people fail to know the difference between BMR and maintenance
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    This website is posted on another forum: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Shows you your BMR and what you actually burn off by your usual daily activity. Anything less than the higher amount puts you in deficit.

It has persuaded me to increase my calories up to my BMR (1500). Haven't lost anything for ages despite staying at the MFP recommendation of 1200 calories. Will see in a week's time if my lack of weight loss is due to my body going into a bit of a panic and starvation mode.
  • theperfectratio
    Options
    BMR = what your body needs to survive if you are say, sleeping and bedridden all day. You need to multiply that by an activity level to find out your TDEE - ie the amount your body needs for you to get through a normal day, so for me, being mostly sedentary, I multiply my BMR (1252) by 1.2 to get my daily maintenance cals (1502). to lose weight I need to eat less than 1502, but no less that 1252.

It sounds like you should do something similar. Oh, and that should really be net calories.

Damnit pressed enter before I even typed anything...

Anyway, let me see if I have this right. So to calculate how much I need to MAINTAIN, I take 1525 * 1.2 (I'm also sedentary). Then I want to make sure I eat LESS than that in NET calories every day. So 1200 net cals is perfectly fine....yay! :D
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There is no actual scientific study that shows eating under your BMR is harmful.

Your BMR (actually what most online sites, including this one, calculate is RMR, not BMR, but that's mostly semantics) is the amount of calories your body burns in 24 hours of being comatose, or laying in bed and not moving. As soon as you get out of bed and start moving, you are burning more calories than your BMR (it's called your TDEE, Total Daily Energy Expenditure.) To maintain weight, you need to eat or TDEE, or "maintenance calories." Eating your BMR will cause you to lose weight. Eating below your BMR is fine and depending on how much weight you have to lose, you probably will be for quite a while. Keep in mind also that BMR and TDEE are not static numbers, they change as you lose weight. Your BMR and TDEE constantly drop, since you have less weight to support, you need to eat less calories.
  • theperfectratio
    Options
    Okay great, this is really helpful as well. It also helps make the MFP suggested net intake more logical (I was wondering why they would tell me to eat under my BMR if it was unhealthy to do). Thanks everyone!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    1) Hypothetically if I don't exercise and just eat 1200 cals/day, is this screwing over my body by consuming less than my BMR?

Yes. You will "screw over your body". Been there. Your BMR is the amount of calories you would need to basically lay in bed all day and do nothing. You should eat this amount, but probably more, since I assume you at least get up and move around during the day-- go to work, school, etc.
    2) If I am working out, if I'm burning 200-400 cals per day and eating ~1400-1600 consistently, again is this screwing over my body because my NET cals are 1200 and thus under my BMR?

Yes. If you want to just try initially eating your BMR amount, make this number your net. Then increase gradually. If you exercise and start eating more, as well as more often, you will start to feel hungrier and will be able to eat more, as you should.
  • theperfectratio
    Options
    Hmmmmm...took a look at a link someone else posted earlier (http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced) and the site says this:

This can be a helpful tool for weight loss as it allows you to estimate the amount of calories that represents your energy balance. If you eat less than this, you will lose weight.

It seems to suggest that eating BELOW your BMR is the way to go.
  • brandy1castillo
    Options
    bump
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm...took a look at a link someone else posted earlier (http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced) and the site says this:

This can be a helpful tool for weight loss as it allows you to estimate the amount of calories that represents your energy balance. If you eat less than this, you will lose weight.

No, eating less than your total energy expenditure (the second and higher number) is the way to go.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

The website isn't very clear but I'm pretty certain it means if you eat less than your total energy expenditure (the higher figure on the calculation) rather than the lower figure (your BMR).