Vegan Trying this out! Love it so far...

Options
Hi, I'm Emma. I've been skeptical of new diet apps or fitness trackers, but this one really seems amazing and the motivation from others is so helpful.

I have had family members die of obesity and I want to not follow in those footsteps. I grew up somehwat vegetarian and then fell off that wagon. In junior high I lost 70 lbs and then ran cross country in high school. Once I got to college, it was so tempting to eat as much as I wanted and go out and party all the time without logging those daily miles anymore.

Now I am finding that my weight battles influence my self-esteem and confidence so much that I feel like hiding and that I am not good enough for others. Something so petty as food should not take over my life. I desperately want to have energy and be a happy, confident person.

I am currently vegan, which sounds hard, but it is actually pretty easy to be an unhealthy vegan! french fries, oreos (yes oreos are vegan). I started out with just brown rice and veggies, but now am struggling to get back to a healthy lifestyle. I am very athletic and enjoy working out once I start, but getting the energy after two stressful jobs and a bad break up has certainly been a challenge.

Looking for all the motivation and words of wisdom I can get! Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• anvacarz
    Options
    Hello! I was a vegan and felt great but then discovered the dirty little tricks (like oreos and french fries! Or just a ton of chips and salsa). After working a night shift I fell off the vegan wagon and onto vegetarianism. Now just doing a weird combo or not eating this but eating that and so forth. Anyway, I admire the strength and ethics of vegans. I don't really know when I lost site, but hey, we're in the same boat for the most part- trying to stay healthy. :)

Feel free to add me, and best wishes!
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been vegan for a week and loving it! :)
  • Jackie_Snape80
    Options
    Me too! I know it's easy to be a "junk food vegan" XD. It's just that too much of it is what's bad. Learn to love your veggies and tofu! If you want you can friend me and/or peek at my diary. I do use meat subs fairly often, just because being at college it's difficult to find time to cook all the time.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

I am 98% vegan, i have bad vegan days and sometimes just a vegetarian. I is possible to eat healthy and vegan. It does take some effort, but once you get the junk out of your system, you will feel great. I have found a great community here, vegan and non-vegan.

Please feel free to add me
  • fivefeetunder
    Options
    I've been a Vegan / Vegetarian since the 6th Grade! Now in college, I'm happy about it. Sometimes it gets tough to find places that have Vegetarian / Vegan choices, there are DEFIANTLY some out there. Being Vegan is being healthy it's having the strength to say no to Ice Cream and cheese cake but yes to Soy Ice Cream, and Fat Free Frozen yogurt.
    Honestly for eating this way for so long I've never craved a Steak or Chicken.