EEEEEEK im so tired of this!!!!!

Hi, my name is wayne, and after an 8 year marrage i found myself at 275 and not doing very well atall. So i went on a diet. Well it wasnt a diet, it was an im depressed and not eating diet. Needless to say i lost 60 pounds. I know its not the healthiest way to do it but it is what it is. Anyway so now im down to 210, running 4 times a week n doing my best. Problem is this. No matter what I do, how much i excersize, i cant seem to get under this 210 mark for the life of me. 5 days a week im below my calorie mark, the weekends are tougher for me tho.

Can anyone give me some dietary suggestions on meal preperation? What are some good meals I can make for myself that arnt hotdogs and hamburgers?

Thanks for reading

Wayne

Replies

• Broken_
    Broken_ Posts: 172 Member
    No Soda, Sweetened Coffee Drinks, Dairy (Cheese, Milk, etc), Ketchup, Mayo

Limit Bread and Pasta intake (and even then shoot for whole wheat).

Drink more water (not sure how much you are drinking now).

Avoid salts, add extra veggies.

Don't eat within 2-3 hours of going to bed.

Best I got for ya right now :) best of luck
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    For 5 days try 2 adays then rest all weekend and see if the scale moves
  • Choose better protein meat! Hotdogs and hamburgers are not great choices, choose chicken (not fried!) and turkey instead. Skip the bread too. Eat more fresh veggies. Have a protein shake. You might want to see a doctor to make sure you are doing this lifestyle change (not diet!) correctly. Get a personal trainer if possible. Most of all---stay determined!!!! Good luck!
  • now_picture_this
    now_picture_this Posts: 13 Member
    Hey Wayne, you run 4x's a week and are under your calorie goal 5x's a week? What happens to a car when it runs out of gas? It doesn't go. Your body is a machine and needs fuel so give it what it needs by at least meeting your calorie goal. Try to stick to lean meats such as turkey, chicken breast and fish- grilled, baked, poached or broiled. Eat plenty of steamed veggies and SOME fruit. Try to stay away from grains and pasta but if you must have bread, use Ezekiel bread. Shop around the perimeter of the grocery store and stay away from the middle isles where everything is processed. Give yourself one cheat meal a week so you can have your hamburger or hotdog. ;) Keep it up!!
  • ty for your responses. im not a big soda drinker, i prefer green tea. i do drink about a gallon of water a day tho so thats not bad. i like the idea of 2 a days. ill have to start doing that. i play basketball during lunch / breaks at work and then run after i get home at 5. I have started eating at Souper Salad alot more frequently. Cant do much chicken (whole family doesnt do well with it), but what about deli meats such as ham. im lactos intolerant so i have to stay away from the dairy anyway.

Now picture this......u think im not taking in enough calories? or just the wrong ones?

all of your advise sounds good to me

Thanks
  • now_picture_this
    now_picture_this Posts: 13 Member
    Hi again Wayne, yes and yes- I do not think you are eating enough calories nor the right ones. If you are consistently under your calorie goal, your body will go into "starvation mode". You've been there before with your weight loss but your body can only take so much. If you want Deli meat, watch the sodium content as it will make you retain water weight. Watch your salad dressing choice- I like plain old Olive Oil & Vinegar. Also, a lot of people who are lactose intolerant have found that they can eat or drink raw cheese and milk (hasn't been pasteurized). I am a firm believer that a calorie ISN'T just a calorie. I think you should make the calories count by putting healthy things in your body that will make you feel good. You can eat a sugary chocolate chip granola bar or a small handful of raw, unsalted almonds but which would be better for you and keep you fuller, longer? Take care!
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    everything in moderation...keep up with your MFP journal...download the smartphone app...it's amazingly easy :-)
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Hi again Wayne, yes and yes- I do not think you are eating enough calories nor the right ones. If you are consistently under your calorie goal, your body will go into "starvation mode". You've been there before with your weight loss but your body can only take so much. If you want Deli meat, watch the sodium content as it will make you retain water weight. Watch your salad dressing choice- I like plain old Olive Oil & Vinegar. Also, a lot of people who are lactose intolerant have found that they can eat or drink raw cheese and milk (hasn't been pasteurized). I am a firm believer that a calorie ISN'T just a calorie. I think you should make the calories count by putting healthy things in your body that will make you feel good. You can eat a sugary chocolate chip granola bar or a small handful of raw, unsalted almonds but which would be better for you and keep you fuller, longer? Take care!

What she said! :smile: If you're always eating a low amount of calories for your metabolism rate, your body kind of goes into starvation mode and hangs on to everything to survive. At least shake things up a bit. Eat a couple of days of higher calories (healthy ones, though!), then a few of the lower, etc. That makes your body sit up and take notice. Also, do remember that if you're building muscles, that weighs more than fat, so while the scale may not be moving, you may be toning up and tightening up. Good luck!
  • Trevanator
    Trevanator Posts: 6 Member
    Hi Wayne, eating right is so important, and it looks like you've gotten a lot of good feedback from people on nutritional choices.

Another thing to remember is that your body works on memory. Therefore, if you do the same thing over and over again, your body remembers that and is not shocked when you go out to do it again. You really need to mix up your workouts and keep your body guessing. Weight training (strengthening), building muscle mass is an incredibly effective way to loose weight. You burn calories faster, and combined with cardio workouts, you'll notice more changes in no time - for the better!

Remember, eat well, keep up the motivation, surprise your body with new workouts and add strength training!!! Good luck! We're all on your side! :)
  • today i hit 1000 calories n am clueless on what to eat for dinner. was thinging ramen noodles but i know its too much carbs. say no to hotdogs n burgers now, and there is too much cholesterol in eggs. again...clueless :( ooooo i might just have breakfast for dinner. eggs and pancakes (less syrup) should be ok

Talk about a support group. Its somwhat over whelming to see that so many people share the same problem as i do. Big problem for me is portion control. I really do love to eat...:sad: maybe i should put this in a blog instead lol

cheers :drinker: