Filling foods

Options
Anyone have suggestions for really filling foods? I have heard extra thick rolled oats and milk is and I'm doing the apple and peanut butter thing. My problem is never feeling full! I used to when I drank a coke or something but now that that's out I need suggestions. Thank you!

Replies

• kchrzan
    Options
    Anyone have suggestions for really filling foods? I have heard extra thick rolled oats and milk is and I'm doing the apple and peanut butter thing. My problem is never feeling full! I used to when I drank a coke or something but now that that's out I need suggestions. Thank you!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are good, but take awhile to cook. Brown rice instead of white (again, this takes longer). Heavy wheat bread (my fave is Aunt Milies Fiber for Life but the cal count is higher per slice).
    IF you're drinking enough water, you can avoid feeling empty.
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    As dull as it sounds - you HAVE to drink your water. It will make your brain quit telling you that you need something in your stomach. I add lemon to mine, or I drink unsweetened decaf tea. I am having MAJOR Dr. Pepper withdrawals, but am trying to hang tough 'til I get used to not having one all the time... I'm chomping a lot of ice too.

As for foods that are especially filling - I don't know, but I know that meals/snacks that include all the essential food groups throughout the day will keep cravings at bay. Just make sure to get your fruits and veggies in -

It's all about re-training the brain - so keep sugar free jello on hand, dried fruits, a few nuts... that way you can munch troughout the day and not feel like you are starving yourself - nothing feels worse than hunger - but if you think about - a coke won't stop hunger, it just raises your blood sugar and stops the craving...:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I made a spinach and mozarella bake (it's somewhere in the recipe section on here) and I swear, it was the most filling thing I ever ate, and low cal too. Make the casserole, ate off it for days (as a side dish, or even appetizer).

random answer. kinda. :wink:
  • kellydutcher
    Options
    Hi all-

My name is Kelly and I just started keeping journals on this website yesterday. I'm actually a registered dietitian who works for a weight management program in San Diego. I think this is an excellent resource for my patients and thought I would try it out myself.

That being said, the most "filling foods" tend to be high volume foods. Our brain actually tells our stomach we are full based off of the volume of food we eat, not the calories. Thus the idea is to eat high volume, low calorie foods. People that eat a bowl of vegetable soup before a meal were found to eat ~450 calories less at that meal. Why? Because the water content of the soup and veggies took up space in their stomach, thus displacing the amount of calories left to consume in the meal.

High volume foods include fruits, veggies, nonfat dairy products, high fiber foods and water based soups.

The perfect example of this is raisins vs grapes. In a small box of raisins there are about 80-90 raisins(yes I counted!). I'm positive I can fit an entire box of raisins in my mouth at once, swallow and not really think twice about it. But could I eat 80-90 grapes?! Probably, but I would be much more full than if I ate the dried fruit. It's all about the water content in food.

Hope this helped. :smile:
    Kelly
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I find that eating protein helps me to not only feel full but to stay satisfied. I love oatmeal but I am hungry soon after eating it. An egg with a slice of double fiber bread will hold me till lunch.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I like beans--they are very filling and have lots of fiber and protein. There are many different kinds of beans and you can eat them plain, make bean salads, puree them, etc so they're very versatile.