Healthy, Filling & Delicious Pasta

Options
letsdothis2010
letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
This is hands down the best healthy pasta I've ever made haha. I hate the whole 2 oz serving of pasta (it's so small!), but pasta has way too many calories to overeat. I want substance though, so I had the idea for zucchini pasta.

Zucchini Pasta (Serves 1)

2 oz whole wheat pasta (I used Barilla Whole Rotini)
1 serving of pasta sauce (I love Newman's Own Sockarooni---it has peppers, onions & mushrooms in a 1/2 cup serving)
1 cup chopped zucchini (I sliced my strips long...don't worry about the measurement so much, one cup is only 20 calories)
Pepper
Olive Oil Spray

Boil pasta until al dente, drain, add sauce to it and set aside.
Spray skillet pan with olive oil, stove top should be set to high. Be as generous with the pepper on the zucchini as you like.
Skillet cook zucchini on high for about 2-3 minutes (should be getting a bit of brown to it)
Add to pasta & sauce...enjoy :)

It came out to 290 calories for me and was really filling.

Replies

• lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I also do this with my zucchini. It also works well with yellow squash.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    I like the shirataki tufu noodles. Actually, I kind-of prefer them to regular spaghetti. One cup is only 20 calories, also. Plus....you don't have to go thru all this work....lol
  • miadvh
    miadvh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    *THUMBS UP TO THIS*
    I make this pretty often and it's sooooo yummy! :D
  • loverachel18
    Options
    sounds YUMMY!
  • FrancesGallagher
    FrancesGallagher Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe, I intend to try it. A good way to have extra veggies. FG
  • krystico
    Options
    Ever try spaghetti squash in place of pasta? Boil the entire squash for about a half-hour. Let it cool. Cut it in half length-wise and "scoop" the inside out with a fork. (Get rid of the seeds.) It will look "string-y" like spaghetti noodles. Pour on some pasta sauce - Done! My 8-year-old even likes it!
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    mmm chunks of zucchini and lots of other veggies sound great with Pasta... I don't use sauce anymore though, well hardly ever. I love tossing some pasta with a tad bit of EVOO and chunky veggies.. :tongue:

Thanks for idea:flowerforyou:
    Ever try spaghetti squash in place of pasta? Boil the entire squash for about a half-hour. Let it cool. Cut it in half length-wise and "scoop" the inside out with a fork. (Get rid of the seeds.) It will look "string-y" like spaghetti noodles. Pour on some pasta sauce - Done! My 8-year-old even likes it!
    Still need to try this... sounds like something different and I've been meaning to try it forever:flowerforyou:
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    This is hands down the best healthy pasta I've ever made haha. I hate the whole 2 oz serving of pasta (it's so small!), but pasta has way too many calories to overeat. I want substance though, so I had the idea for zucchini pasta.

Zucchini Pasta (Serves 1)

2 oz whole wheat pasta (I used Barilla Whole Rotini)
    1 serving of pasta sauce (I love Newman's Own Sockarooni---it has peppers, onions & mushrooms in a 1/2 cup serving)
    1 cup chopped zucchini (I sliced my strips long...don't worry about the measurement so much, one cup is only 20 calories)
    Pepper
    Olive Oil Spray

Boil pasta until al dente, drain, add sauce to it and set aside.
    Spray skillet pan with olive oil, stove top should be set to high. Be as generous with the pepper on the zucchini as you like.
    Skillet cook zucchini on high for about 2-3 minutes (should be getting a bit of brown to it)
    Add to pasta & sauce...enjoy :)

It came out to 290 calories for me and was really filling.

im hands down in love with you. i know how my zucchini is being used tomorrow!! yum!
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    mmm chunks of zucchini and lots of other veggies sound great with Pasta... I don't use sauce anymore though, well hardly ever. I love tossing some pasta with a tad bit of EVOO and chunky veggies.. :tongue:

Still need to try this... sounds like something different and I've been meaning to try it forever:flowerforyou:

hurry and try it cause it's AWESOME!!! i spagetti-squashed myself out i did it so much :)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options

I forgot about the spaghetti squash. LOVE, just love it. With a little tomato sauce, some goat cheese, Italian herbs <mouth watering>. Can't wait for it to get back in season. I found that you can also freeze it. So that's what I do............
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Sounds Yummy!Thanks for sharing
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

hurry and try it cause it's AWESOME!!! i spagetti-squashed myself out i did it so much :)
    cm2two -- I bought one yesterday..YAY ME! Thanks for the push:laugh:

exermom -- your method sounds delish!! OH? Good to know it can be frozen... of course I'm guessing you mean after it's cooked, yes? Yes, I'm now pretty sure that's what you meant after typing this...:blushing: :tongue:

letsdothis2010 -- Love that you did a one serving recipe it helps those of us that really only want one serving and get temped when more is cooked. Plus it'd be super easy to make more for a bigger household.:blushing: :wink: :drinker: