wedding dress fitting... help!!!

Options
ok so i need some help here!!! i am getting married on april 19th :drinker: and have purchased my wedding dress :love: but now i need to start the fitting/altering process :mad: i was thinking of going for my initial fitting on :heart: valentines day :heart: because that will give me two full months until the big day, but i'm not exactly sure how this all works. i want to postpone the initial fitting for as long as possible cause i want to lose some weight between then and now. how long can i wait? what if i go through the initial fitting and go back and have lost more weight and need to do it again?!? :noway: i need to hear from someone that has done this before! :happy:

Replies

• tmbish82
    Options
    ok so i need some help here!!! i am getting married on april 19th :drinker: and have purchased my wedding dress :love: but now i need to start the fitting/altering process :mad: i was thinking of going for my initial fitting on :heart: valentines day :heart: because that will give me two full months until the big day, but i'm not exactly sure how this all works. i want to postpone the initial fitting for as long as possible cause i want to lose some weight between then and now. how long can i wait? what if i go through the initial fitting and go back and have lost more weight and need to do it again?!? :noway: i need to hear from someone that has done this before! :happy:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I would contact whoever is doing the alterations. They can tell you how long they need to get it done. Then set your dates for fittings from there.
    April is also prom time to it's a busy time for the alteration depts in bridal shops.
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I agree, thats a very busy time, for weddings too. I would get with the shop, cause they may can do the actual alterations, and just make adjustments right at the end. Thats why you have several fittings.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Have you asked the person who's going to do the alterations? They will have the best sense of what they can do in what time frame.

That being said... When I got married, I bought a Maggie Sottero (sp?) from a salon that would give my bridesmaids a discount if we all ordered from there. I figured better them the discount, because the other dress place gave the discount to the bride, and I didn't need it... Well, the dress came in, and I went for my fitting, went back and they had screwed it up... They had someone else come in and do the alterations then. In the meantime, I'm talking to everyone I know, because I don't like the dress. I loved the one I tried on (in the other shop), but hate the one I bought.... Something was wrong. So, my dear husband called the dress shop (the one I tried on the dress at, but not bought at) and they said that they were the only authorized Maggie Sottero dealer in town.... and gave him the number for the sales rep for Maggie Sottero. Long story short, the dress I bought and paid full price for was a copycat. A week before the wedding, we find this out! It explained a lot about why I didn't love the dress when it came in, doesn't it.

Happy ending though... The shop in town let me buy the dress off the rack (at a HUGE discount, I may add) and I was able to get it cleaned and altered in 4 or 5 days. I got a full refund on the fake dress, and the owner of that shop was very very peeved because I was telling everyone the story of the fake. She even went so far as to call on my wedding day and leave three messages about it.

All that not meant to be a horror story, but to show that alterations can be done quickly, but it would be best to talk to whoever is doing the alterations. I had to pay quite a bit to get it done in only a couple of days, and I'm sure it put stress on the seamstress, because she was also repairing loose crystals and the draped crystals down my shoulders.
  • mbb8682
    mbb8682 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have been throught this you need to contact the alterations people and ask them how many you can have before they start charging you. Also try not to stress the weight is going to come off when you get closer to the bug day I lost 5 lbs in a week due to the stress of everything. My dress didn't get here until 2 weeks prior to my wedding so we were in alteration mode those 2 weeks. Keep the inital fitting and then go from there.
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options

I had bought my dress had it altered. Started time of the month had to have it altered again and picked my dress up two days before my wedding and it ended up being to big. if they do the alterations in the store you might be able to get away with waiting. Talk to the person doing the alterations if you can.
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    awww april 19th is my 2 years with my boyfriend :) <333

congratulations!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Agreed, base all dates on the seamstress' deadlines.
    And if losing weight, wait as long as possible for final alterations and then just maintain weight before the big day.
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!:heart: