A little fun snacky tip from a hippie :)

Options
So... I just started in with this website a few days ago... and came up with a fun way to keep eating what i like without being naughty...

I've been having these massive "holy moly!" moments, actually paying attention to how quickly all my favorite snacks add up (green tea with honey and rice milk = 200 calories?! woah!).

we shop at a coop and i eat a lot of bulk snacks- licorice spirals, smoky almonds, dried fruit, chocolate coconut haystacks (o-m-g), etc., and i can just munch and munch on these things and completely forget how much I'm eating- i find that especially with salty foods (which are the ones i crave), it never occurs to me that I've had "enough".

SO!!

my kids (who don't know i'm "dieting", just that we're suddenly paying a LOT of attention to numbers) and I bought all our favorite bulk snacks, and i wrote down alllll of the nutrition facts (well, calories, carbs, fat, sugar, & protein)- and then we came home and made 300 calorie and 150 calorie "snack packs", wrapped them in foil, and put them in a big glass flip-lid cookie jar. so now i have these cute little mystery grab bag snack packs full of stuff that i love, and they've all got the pertinent info written in marker right on the front... i even made sure they had good protein:sugar ratios!

so... this might not apply to folks whose favorite snacks are like... candy bars or whatever... but I thought this might be a fun idea to share with the hippier among us... :happy:

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    great idea, c'mon over - I got a jar you can fill up - sounds like a lot of work LOL
  • tinkerbella01
    Options
    I do this with chocolate, break bigger bars into smaller (calorie controlled) portions and put them in the freezer.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Great planning! Good idea!
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    this is perfect for the wallet too :)

bulk, bulk, bulk!!!

:D
  • zigzag13
    zigzag13 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like it, thanks for the idea ;)
  • loverachel18
    Options
    awesome idea!
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I do this with my chex mix, or crackers or any other easy to divide item. Not in mystery packs though, that sounds like lots of fun!
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Love it!
    And much more ecomonical than those 100 calorie snack packs I just bought!!!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Great idea - and it actually works for all foods - I buy bulk meat, chicken, and then weigh and pack them into portion size zip-lock bags when I come home - so when I need to cook I grab the right amount of meat - and off I go - no temptation in cooking more than one portion and then fighting the urge for "seconds"....
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    love this idea! except not the mystery ones, i tend to crave certain foods and if i dont get that one specific thing, i'll eat til i do! :blushing: :sad:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Totally love this. . How fun is that. . I am going to have to throw some together for my daughter and I.
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love this idea....I think this will be fun for myself and my son when I am making our lunches each day!! He and I will just have to agree on finding food we both like!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Thanks for sharing!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Very clever.
  • anjukins
    anjukins Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It was sort of a lot of work, yeah... but it was a FUN lot of work! I wish i could do this for a job on the side... Hippie Mystery Snack Packs... hah! they are definitely economical, for sure... I'm glad you guys liked my idea!! I didn't know if it was too dorky for the forum... hah...
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Lol...very nice idea! Now that its getting closer to Halloween..hehe...I get a Naughty sweet tooth...! Of course chocolate is my fave...so I freeze them...Haha..kinda hard to eat these frozen..lol.. but I do like your idea's as well, I am going to try this..although going to be rough as my household are a bunch of munchers...most of 'em being muscular and thin..the teenage brats..lol, I think I'll put them in individual packs, in the "freezer" Ha!! There we go..lol thanks!!:wink:
  • anjukins
    Options
    Rachael, I know just what you mean. my husband is counting calories on this site too, and his recommended calorie intake per day is 3600! He's trying to gain, I'm trying to lose... and my kids eat like wolves. So... I hear you!
  • anjukins
    Options
    ...and I ate my first pack!! it was such an adventure! hah!
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It was sort of a lot of work, yeah... but it was a FUN lot of work! I wish i could do this for a job on the side... Hippie Mystery Snack Packs... hah! they are definitely economical, for sure... I'm glad you guys liked my idea!! I didn't know if it was too dorky for the forum... hah...
    no way, not dorky at all! Very cool concept :tongue: :drinker: Love the mystery idea:laugh:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    great trick!
    I leave the food scale out on the counter. It's my reminder to weigh all of my snacks before I eat them, and the hubs has taken to using it too--even though he has nothing to lose!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    that's a really good idea!!!!