Anyone else ready to maintain?

Options
Hey guys!
Hope everyone is having a nice day/evening xD Since I've decided I want to maintain my weight, I'm going to start adding on the calories. But I don't know how quickly I should do it!
I'm overly paranoid about just adding 50 calories a week even! Should I do something like 100 per week? I don't want all my lost weight to come sprinting back o_o;; I've read posts on here about people who like add on 200-300 calories immediatly and then gain all the weight bak.......*shivers*
Thanks for any advice/helpful comments! xD

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i'm almost there, but i was planning on reverse dieting to maintenance then move to a bulk.

for you it depends on your current deficit and length of diet, i'd slowly add back cals week by week till you get up to your maintenance level
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    bump... i curious as well.. i'm close to maintaining...
  • zaiikaa
    zaiikaa Posts: 112
    Options
    same here.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I pushed my goal down another five pound, because I was so freaked out about adding back calories.

When I first started I was doing 1290 cal. a day... as I lost weight MFP kept taking calories away.
    When I got to 1200 I went to lose 1/2 lb a week and I got 1410 calories... Now when I lose I override MFP and don't let it any more calories away.

I want to end up somewhere between 141-145 (141 was the lowest I could maintain and live a life I liked before the gain)
    I'm gradually adding until I get to maintenance calories for 141 lbs -- 1600 cal
    When I get to 145 I'll up it to 1500 and inch up from there.

I think the key is what ever change you make continue to track and monitor so that you can make adjustments that work for you before things get out of control.

I'm going to play around to see what works best for me, then when I find it I expect I'll keep tracking here for at least a year. So that my body can internalize what the correct type of food/amount to eat is.

I do want to keep an eye open to figure out how to gauge food so that I can some day solo... I'm not there yet, til then I'm thankful I have this tool and I'll take advantage of it as long as I need it.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    When I switched, I added them all within a week. Safe.
  • BeckyReba
    BeckyReba Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    having this same problem! i keep losing weight when i don't want to, but because i'm scared to gain!! :(
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You're likely to regain a BIT of weight going back to maintenance between metabolic speed up and increased water balance. The important thing is to not freak out!

Just remember that maintenance =/= going back to the way you were! KEEP working out, KEEP choosing better options, and most definitly, still keep track of your weight to make sure you aren't taking steps backward!
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't know what I'm doing! I'm 5'8, started at 152,and my goal was 140. Hit 140, and decided I had more weight to lose. Now I'm at 132.5, and still see some fat. I guess I'll lose a few more pounds, and then I'm ready to maintain! Quite worried about it though!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I'm 2lbs away from goal and am scared to move to maintenance mode.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm on maintenance and bumped my calories up by about 300ish in about two steps over a fortnight. So far, it's working but early days yet.