New here and need some inspiration

So I am somewhat new at all of this. I injured my back in March of this year and need to start really trying to loose the excess weight that i have gained. Any pointers any one has would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Welcome!
  • Welcome!!! The pointer I would give is to just start moving. Walk around the mall, outside, or at a park just get moving!! Feel free to add me.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Ok, so here were my stats when I started this weight loss odyssey on February 2nd of this year:

Height - 4' 6"
    Weight - 170 (or there abouts)
    BMI - 39.6
    Body Fat % - 52

Measurements: Neck 15, waist 39, hips 47

When I started I was unemployed and worked out at least 3-4 times a week, and if I didn't work out, I walked. I have been watching my calories and serving sizes. Not only that but I have pretty much cut out beef, except for a couple times a month. I am eating healthier and eating more turkey, chicken, pork and fish to get my protein. I have also been drinking at least 6-8 glasses of water a day.

I used to have a HUGE butt, a prominent pouch below my belly button, big butt and big rolls on my back.

My current stats as of today:

Employed in a medical office
    Height - 4' 6"
    Weight – 132.5
    BMI – 31.8
    Body Fat % - 36.5

Measurements: Neck 13, waist 34, hips 40

This is all thanks to eating healthier, joining this site and exercising.

My exercise routine has since become this:

During the week – 1 20 minute walk during my lunch hour and 30-60 min of Pilates at night after work. For lunch I eat a single “Smart Ones”, “Healthy Choice” or “Lean Cuisine” meal along with munching on either some nuts, fruits or veggies. For desserts if I am craving something sweet I have a 100 calorie snack pack version of cupcakes or cookies.

Weekends - I go to the gym for 60-75 min and do both cardio and weight training.

Since I have lost so much weight I feel soooooo much better. I lost the dark circles under my eyes, and I noticed today that my abdomen is even. No buldging in certain areas. In fact I now look very similar to the way I did as a Freshman in ….. HIGH SCHOOL 15 years ago. I still can't believe that I am just over the half way point to my goal! I was looking at my old pictures and realized I physically look how I did in high school. I also went shopping the other day and bought a shirt by converse which was labelled a size "SMALL"!

I agree with everyone saying that for some reason My fitness pal just works. It is a tool which helps keeps us motivated, and gives us a support system outside of our friends and family. Sometimes we need the support from people who we may never meet but are in the same boat. I have actually been able to get 2 of my coworkers to join My Fitness Pal.

For anyone who needs help or tip here's the link to my blog where you can find all the tricks and tips as well as some good recipes. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/woja9640

Anyway I just wanted to say Thank You to all of my MFP friends for the advice, motivation and support.

Here's my before and after picture:

TheNewMe.jpg
    [/quote]
  • jaclyngriffith
    jaclyngriffith Posts: 1 Member
    Welcome! I started in August and have lost 5 pounds already! This is really nice for the accountability. Here are the things that have helped me the most... a lot of which I learned from other friends who are using the site.

1. I love to make 3 egg whites for breakfast in the morning. The prepared kind only cost me 90 calories and I am filled through lunch! Rather than eating these everyday though I rotate between these and Fiber One bars. Delicious and lots of fiber so again, it carries me through 10-11am where I have a small snack (100 calories or so).

2. I am not sure what your exercise ability is yet given your injury, but that makes a huge difference for me. When you do "earn" calories for exercising, I've found that I optimize the weight loss by not eating those earned calories. I walk on a treadmill 3-5 days a week and burn at least 200 calories each time. By not eating those calories I am reducing my weekly calorie intake by 600-1000 calories!

3. Have bad days. There are some days I don't truly count. I counted a bad day in which I went out to breakfast, had wings for lunch, pizza for dinner, and late night appetizers and drinks. I created my own meal titled... Bad Day, Not Counting; Serving Size One Bad *kitten* Day of Eating... and with all that food I ate about 2800 calories. So on my bad days I enter that so I can stay on track.

4. I cut out soda which has made a big difference. Every once in a while I have a regular coke or a diet coke for dinner, but I focus on water and that really helps for me. It does get boring though, so I add slices of lime or orange or use those Mio flavor liquids to give it a little more taste.

Good luck! If you want a buddy we can be friends and help each other out!
  • Hi there! I'm looking to get to know new people for support as well!
    I've lost 5 kilos since I joined this website, still a long way to go but I'm happy :)

Please send me an invite if you're looking to make new friends!
    Also, the iPhone app for myfitnesspal is awesome!