To spend or not to spend? That is my question.

**WARNING/DISCLAIMER**: The following post contains math. If computations scare you, pause here, go find your favorite calculator and then proceed.

As some of you may know, there were layoffs at my place of employment today (I was not one of them...thankfully). However, it does have me running scared in terms of spending money.

One hobby I enjoy is archery. I have a range near my work but they charge $200 per year for membership. For at least the next 3 months, I could only go shoot at most 3 times a week. If we figure I flake out once a week, then I'd be going 2x4x3=24 times. If I pay by the hour, the charge is $10. So I would be paying more money by the hour for the next 3 months than if I got the annual membership. Furthermore, according to fitday.com, I could burn 212 calories for 1 hour of archery. http://calories-burned.findthebest.com/ says I could burn around 318, and of course MFP claims 355. Quite a range. (no pun intended)

However, again, there were just layoffs. Credit card debt exists and is not small, $200 is a lot but won't break me.

So my question to you, should you choose to answer, is: Spend the $200 or not?

--PixarDad

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    I would probably spend. It's something you know you enjoy, gives a bonus of exercise, and you'll be able to get there a few times a week.

What about after the 3 months? Assuming you aren't laid off in that time, will you be able to go more often and essentially get plenty more than your money's worth?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    I personally would always pick the side of not spending money. However, if archery is something you really enjoy more than other less expensive ways to exercise, it could be worth the investment. Especially if you're going to go anyway.

(also, lol at math disclaimer)
  • The major question is whether or not you have a substantial emergency fund to cover you in case of a layoff. If so, spend away! I figure if I have enough tucked away and I know I can put away enough each month to keep it growing, whatever surplus can either be spent putting away any possible debt I have and/or toward hobbies.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Well ... if you get laid off, how much difference will the two bills make? Deer season's coming up. If you're putting in your proper time at the range, you're much more likely to take a deer. Then your freezer's filled with delicious, healthy, low-in-fat venison. I'd say, do it!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Yep. Like you said... $200 wont make or break you. If things stay good at work then enjoy the membership. If you get cut, youll want the membership as a way to get away from things for an hour or two.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    **WARNING/DISCLAIMER**: The following post contains math. If computations scare you, pause here, go find your favorite calculator and then proceed.

As some of you may know, there were layoffs at my place of employment today (I was not one of them...thankfully). However, it does have me running scared in terms of spending money.

One hobby I enjoy is archery. I have a range near my work but they charge $200 per year for membership. For at least the next 3 months, I could only go shoot at most 3 times a week. If we figure I flake out once a week, then I'd be going 2x4x3=24 times. If I pay by the hour, the charge is $10. So I would be paying more money by the hour for the next 3 months than if I got the annual membership. Furthermore, according to fitday.com, I could burn 212 calories for 1 hour of archery. http://calories-burned.findthebest.com/ says I could burn around 318, and of course MFP claims 355. Quite a range. (no pun intended)

However, again, there were just layoffs. Credit card debt exists and is not small, $200 is a lot but won't break me.

So my question to you, should you choose to answer, is: Spend the $200 or not?

--PixarDad
    Make a documentary on it an sell it to Pixar. Set for life.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Depends how risk averse you are.

If you are comfortable in your job that you won't get laid off, the annual membership is definitely the smarter option as you can use it after the 3 months are up too. It's $240 for the 3 months, so it'll end up being $960 for the year if you end up continuing. If you're not sure.. and think you are at risk of being laid off, maybe you want to play it by ear and pay per hour for a few weeks till the layoffs cool down.

I'm a little more conservative with my budget (even though I do definitely splurge here and there), so I would wait a month to see if the situation gets better but only you can gauge how secure you are and how willing you are to drop the $200.
  • Have you used this range before? If not, I'd say just attend a few times this week/next week to make sure it's a place you would enjoy attending regularly, and that you'd stay for at least an hour. If you know this place well, like the atmosphere, and have practiced at length before, then go for it.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    If it is important to you, and makes you happy, do it.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    My place of employment just announced the possibility of cutting 30,000 jobs over the next few years, so I understand. And, I was laid off last summer as well (from another company!) Not to make light of it, but if you spend the money now while you have an income, think of how many times a week you could go if you DO get laid off. :huh:

I'd spend the money. You need to save for the rainy day, but you can't go through life never doing something because something else 'might' happen....
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Well ... if you get laid off, how much difference will the two bills make? Deer season's coming up. If you're putting in your proper time at the range, you're much more likely to take a deer. Then your freezer's filled with delicious, healthy, low-in-fat venison. I'd say, do it!

Oops. Forgot to say I only target shoot, not hunt. Still feel the same way? ;)

--PixarDad
  • pixardad
    Make a documentary on it an sell it to Pixar. Set for life.

BRILLIANT!!!
  • I'd do it. Then if you do get laid off, at least you'll have your archery for a year!
  • pixardad
    And that's why I love this site. You all make wonderful points. I'm starting to form a conclusion but am going to wait on a decision until I hear from anyone else who want to offer up ideas.

(Though that documentary and selling it to Pixar idea...dead set on doing that!)

--PixarDad
  • pixardad
    Ok, so there were no more responses and I'm sure everyone is checking this topic every few minutes to see what I decided. And the answer is........pass.

Your ideas were great and I was going to test out the range a few times before I actually decided (thanks @melissajbutler). And many of you were right, I'd have the range for 9 more months if I did get laid off. However, there is a 'free' range closer to my home, so in reality I probably wouldn't use it.

Nevertheless, I decided not to spend the $200 because of time. I really only have 1 hour for lunch, but the time to drive to the range, assemble the bow, shoot for an hour, and then pack up and return to my desk would be close to 2 hours. I could probably "steal" an extra 30 minutes, but a whole hour is outside my ethics zone.

Anyhow, thanks everyone for your responses and feel free to add me as a friend if you haven't already. You're participation and encouragements keep me going!

--PixarDad