Do you have supportive family/friends?

Options
too long to post so it can be found here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jaramae/view/do-you-have-supportive-family-friends-147615

anyone in the same boat? how do you deal?

Replies

• lauralaurafish
    lauralaurafish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound like I pity you or anything, but that sucks. Thankfully, I don't live at home anymore. I live with my boyfriend who, thank God, is more supportive than anyone on Earth and is always willing to jump on the band wagon with me to start dieting or whatever it is. With MFP, we both have lost weight because it has become a lifestyle - not a diet. Either way, he does encourage me, supports me, and even defends me from other people if they try to make fun of us for "counting calories" or "watching what we eat."

However, when I was back home, I knew that making a lifestyle change can be weird of those around you (after all, no one likes change) and the only thing they instinctively do is anything to get things back to normal. I used to just not tell anyone anything if I knew they would respond in a negative way. Or, if you feel comfortable enough, so calmly tell the person: "You know, I am not asking for your support or anything if you're not willing to give it to me, but I would at least appreciate some respect for my choices and my lifestyle. If I wasn't your (daughter/sister) would you still say those things to me? Would you to a stranger?"
    At least in my family, their answer would be no.

Good luck, and just don't pay attention to the negative nancys!
  • Emma422
    Emma422 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes my family can be a little less then supportive especially when it comes to my mother interrupting my workouts and telling me to use all that energy on something beneficial and telling me that i am only 18 and i have a magical metabolsim and that i don't have to worry about what i eat, but as i started to show how commited i was to my new lifestyle the comments have reached a bare minimum and now my mom talks about wanting to exercise and eat right also :). so as far as dealing with the lack of support just ignore the comments and stick to your guns best of luck! :happy:
  • megskin15
    Options
    My mother likes to say "wow- look at your gut- you should work on that" and when I work out and say something about it she says "you should have been doing housework with that time"... make up your mind woman!
  • jaramae
    jaramae Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My mother likes to say "wow- look at your gut- you should work on that" and when I work out and say something about it she says "you should have been doing housework with that time"... make up your mind woman!

oh the hipocracy and backtracking, my family is an expert on that. Definitely feel the pain with you on that one.
  • andlovesaidn0
    Options
    my parents joke around but it can be hurtful other than that they are very supportive.
  • miadvh
    miadvh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My hubby is umm..semi-supportive? He supports what I'm doing..lets me buy whatever foods and exercise gear I need/want. On the other hand, he's bad about bringing in cokes or going for fast food and bringing me something. I always end up eating the junk because even though he tries to remember I don't want it, he forgets and I end up eating since I'm not a fan of wasting food. My mom's pretty supportive and proud of me, but my grandma has actually said she like a new shirt better than some of my others because "my fat wasn't just hanging out":cry: (I went from tanktops to half-sleeves.)
    NOW onto my dad's side..I don't bother telling them when I'm trying to lose weight because as soon as eat anything unhealthy..even a dang cookie or something I start getting crap from them. My dad has always joked about how much food I ate..It got so bad that I would eat a small meal before going with them for dinner, so that I wouldn't appear to eat as much. They also start nagging me to see if I had worked out for that day and poke fun at my hard work. :/
    And last time that I was actively trying to lose weight my mother- and sister-in-law kept trying to tell me how and what to do as far as eating and exercising since they were living with us and thought they ruled everything. I was being told I wasn't eating enough just because she felt she needed to go buy her daughter a sausage and egg mcmuffin everyday before school. I was eating..I don't know how many calories EXACTLY, but I was eating healthy foods and making sure I felt full. They also tend to make fun of my weight..and just about everything else about me..even though I'm smaller than both. :/