best kinds of cheese while dieting?

Options
I love cheeses of all kinds, but I know most are quite high in fat. Does anyone know how different types (meaning mozarella, cheddar, etc) compare to each other, and which type is the "healthiest?"

I'm not really a fan of those reduced fat ones, since a lot of them don't seem to melt too well. I don't want to entirely give up cheese while dieting, though! Anyone have any suggestions of healthier types of cheese, or even brands of low-fat cheese that melt well?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I don't care which is healthiest, these are the ones I enjoy:

Shredded Colby jack (great for a variety of things)
    Part-skim mozzarella string cheese
    Mini babybel original & cheddar
    Swiss cheese
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I love cheese. My lower fat favorites are Feta (get the French type-creamy and salty), goat cheese (crumbled on salads, baked on chicken), and farmer's cheese (sliced on a wrap/sandwich). I also like the Cabot's 50% and 75% low fat cheddars. I slice the cabot's block and eat it on crackers.

And parmesan is really good and flavorful so you only need a sprinkle for great taste. I like to put a tbsp. of shredded parm on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees until the edges are light brown. Eat the parmesan crisps right off the pan or place them on a salad...yumm.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I'm a cheese head, but I try to get whichever kind that is either low fat/reduced fat or made with 2%.
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I put cheese in the 'dessert' category as much as I can. My top favourite is aged gouda (not smoked, not regular, not any other way but aged) from Holland. Hard, salty, sweet, I cannot compare it to anything else. Rembrandt brand makes an import that I can sometimes get at the local grocery store ( http://www.cheesesupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/408 ).

rem.jpg

Second for me is fresh mozzarella. Sargento makes the closest to fresh I can find in bricks or balls like it's found here: sorrento-fresh.jpg .

Lastly, just a slice of medium cheddar from Sargento is a great finisher to just about any meal.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    dangnabit, I should not have opened this thread.......cheese.....
  • summergreen487
    summergreen487 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow cheese wedges are great. Although they are "light" cheese, they don't taste "light."

http://www.thelaughingcow.com/products/light-swiss-original/