still diet coke free....

2»

Replies

• carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Good for you! If anyone is wondering why someone would kick the habit, in addition to the artificial sweeteners some people would prefer to give up, the phosphoric acid in diet sodas is especially bad for women. It contributes to osteoporosis. I quit a few years ago and have never looked back. The occasional sip I've taken of a diet soda now and then tastes horrible.
  • Does everyone notice a big difference as far as weight loss?? I'm still losing weight and drinking diet coke religiously. I guess if I cut out the diet coke the pounds would melt off. Stories, advice, thoughts?
  • I have cut back to one a day. And traded my DC for Sprite Zero. My goal is to cut out Diet completely, but gradually.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Does everyone notice a big difference as far as weight loss?? I'm still losing weight and drinking diet coke religiously. I guess if I cut out the diet coke the pounds would melt off. Stories, advice, thoughts?
    Thats the question i was trying to ask too. :) With no calories and no sugar, how will cutting help me lose weight? Caffeine before a workout is supposed to help with your workout.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Everyone is going to have different opinions on this but for some people, it is a matter of overall health, not just physical appearance. I don't think pounds will melt off just by quitting. If you google health effects diet soda, you can find a ton of info. Again, if it's working for you, great, but these are reasons why some people try to cut it out of their diets.
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/4-health-side-effects-of-diet-soda.html
  • Does everyone notice a big difference as far as weight loss?? I'm still losing weight and drinking diet coke religiously. I guess if I cut out the diet coke the pounds would melt off. Stories, advice, thoughts?
    Thats the question i was trying to ask too. :) With no calories and no sugar, how will cutting help me lose weight? Caffeine before a workout is supposed to help with your workout.

I think the biggest thing with cutting out diet sodas is getting rid of the artificial sweeteners (aspartame) made in a lab. Whether it is bad for you or not, companies are still pushing it so oh well I guess :)
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    You are doing so well~ I know it is hard but you are already on the path to more healthy habits! keep up the good work!
  • I am just glad to know that I am not the only addict out there. I have managed to "quit" twice in my life (either completely or one per day) and I always go back. I know the amount of diet coke I consume is practically obscene.

Right now, as a SAHM, I'm trying a tactic which was successful for me in the past. I don't necessarily limit the amount of diet coke I drink, I just have to have at least one glass of water before I have another DC. Next week, it will be at least two glasses of water, etc. until I end up at one diet coke per day (unless I don't even want it, which could happen.) This works for me because then I don't feel as if I am deprived...if I think I can't have something, well, the cravings begin in earnest! :-)

Good luck kicking the habit!
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Does everyone notice a big difference as far as weight loss?? I'm still losing weight and drinking diet coke religiously. I guess if I cut out the diet coke the pounds would melt off. Stories, advice, thoughts?

You're right, the empty sugar cals of regular sodas (and a lot of juices too) are less conducive to weight loss goals. The research into "Do diet sodas make us fat?" is not conclusive. Several of the articles I re-read last night so I could include links in my earlier response indicated that the evidence shows "correlation" NOT "causation" (cause). There are other factors potentially at play here, including (and this is mentioned in a couple of the articles), that many folks drinking "diet soda" are NOT making real changes in lifestyle / dietary habit to support weight loss.

What does this all mean? Drinking diet soda is useless if you're still eating half a package of cookies in one sitting! (Like I used to do. Ugh.) In your case, Biker Mike, as a person active on MFP, you are most likely making changes to support healthy eating and getting to a healthy weight, so I bet the effect of "one vice" like diet soda is not going to break you.

I personally quit ALL sodas when I discovered that Splenda gives me migraines. I "instantly" dropped a clothing size just from not being all bloated off the carbonation! (and the migranes stopped instantly too.) That got me started on a larger mission to try to eliminate nearly all "artificial" things from my diet and just eat Food. My definition of "Food" is something that came off a tree, out of the ground, or has a mother. Things that ARE one-word ingredients: apple. almond. milk. chicken.

Here are a couple quotes that I have collected along these lines:
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." (Michael Pollan)
    "If God / Nature made it, you can eat it. I don't know about you, but I don't have a Cheetos tree in my backyard!" (paraphrased Jillian Michaels)

So that's my little soap-box about diet soda! Haha!

edit to add: I've read the same things about a little caffeine before a workout. That does seem to help! I am getting mine from Tea and chocolate! haha :happy:
  • NHLove88
    NHLove88 Posts: 75 Member
    30 days, woah... I can't believe I haven't had a diet coke in 30 days!
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    One other big reason to kick the can...the money! Think about how much money we blow on sodas. Yikes! A single soda a day, be it diet or not, at a restaurant: $2. In a month, $60. In a year, $720. That's just one soda. How many times did I eat at more than one restaurant in a day and paid double this. Oh, those soda companies are making billions of dollars off us and are giving us ZERO nutrition. Am I ever the dumb one...at least I was.

I'd rather have green tea now, iced is my favorite. 4 bags of Jasmine, one of Lemon Ginger Tulsi and I have a huge pitcher full of refreshing iced tea.

Jasmine tea, 100 bags $3.99
    Tulsi tea, 24 bags $4.99

Makes about 25 pitchers full for under $10, and it's actually good for me and it tastes great. One packet of sweet n low in my glass helps my sweet fix.
  • I've been going without Diet Coke (use to drink 4 cans a day). Now it tastes like chemicals when I drink it. And I've noticed my stomach is flatter! Plus, I lost 4 lbs that first week.
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Good job! I actually had Coke for the first time in 2 years a couple weeks ago... It was delicious but made me feel sick and gave me a headache... Never again!
  • Awesome job !
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    I've been off of it for over 2months (coke zero) anyway......it really help start my wt loss!!!! I don't miss it at ALL!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!