Sugar

luvmycandies
luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
I am trying to lower my sugar intake, but even with clean eating, unprocessed foods, my sugar is always over the goal. Most of it is from fruits. Is this ok, or should I cut back from eating 2-3 fruits a day??

Replies

• Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    i have the same problem...i dont really pay much attention if it is coming from fruits or veggies though
  • jaramae
    jaramae Posts: 100 Member
    I'm struggling with finding a good balance as well. I think its really hard to be able to stay within the sugar levels that mfp suggests without suffering on nutrients. I've learned to live with the overage each day but still monitor it closely and opt for low sugar foods. Coming from natural sources is a good things compared to other options so I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. I'm sensitive to sugar and feel for my personal weight loss, I need to reduce it the best I can so I still try to get it as low as I can or work out enough to compensate for it.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    I only pay attention if it's not fruits or veggies because I LOVE FRUIT!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    I only pay attention if it's not fruits or veggies because I LOVE FRUIT!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    I think fruit is good for you. Eat lots of it. Period.
  • Lumchan
    Lumchan Posts: 4 Member
    The difference is fiber. Fiber will slow down the digestion of sugars in fruits and other carbohydrates versus simple sugars from processed foods. It keeps your blood sugar levels from spiking and dropping as quickly and can help make you feel full longer. So don't worry as much about sugar from fruits unless you are diabetic because fruits also have a lot of great nutrients that other sugary foods do not have.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/family-nutrition/sugar/sweet-facts-you-should-know-about-sugar
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    I eat tons of fruit too, always have, always will but I do remember something my doctor told me with my last pregnancy but I have to be honest in saying I can't remember how it works :laugh: I was being watched for gestational diabetes cause my tests were off and I explained that I love fruit, but because of the natural sugars he told me I had to watch how much I ate. But he also told me if I can't help myself, to sprinkle cinnamon on it because it counteracted the sugars to a certain extent, and it did. I'll see if I can google it for you, just so you know I'm not crazy :laugh:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    I eat tons of fruit too, always have, always will but I do remember something my doctor told me with my last pregnancy but I have to be honest in saying I can't remember how it works :laugh: I was being watched for gestational diabetes cause my tests were off and I explained that I love fruit, but because of the natural sugars he told me I had to watch how much I ate. But he also told me if I can't help myself, to sprinkle cinnamon on it because it counteracted the sugars to a certain extent, and it did. I'll see if I can google it for you, just so you know I'm not crazy :laugh:
    Very interesting! Ill follow this! Zara
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    So I've been googling the heck out of this, I didn't forget. And I can't seem to find anything unless we're talking diabetes. I can still post a link if you want but they all seem to say the same thing...if you have type 2 diabetes, there had been some studies done and cinnamon may actually help lower your blood sugar. Here's one link from the Mayo Clinic, I was hoping to get something more in detail, so sorry about that.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/AN00939
This discussion has been closed.