Losing weight and quitting smoking???

Options
Hi everybody!
It has been a year since I have been on-- I lost 37 pounds and managed to keep 27 off until the holidays hit-- Ugg!!! It is nice to have a place to return to though!!

Here is a question....

Has anyone had any success in quitting smoking with the drug Chantix, and if so did you have to do anything special to lose weight at the same time? I am currently marathon training so I do get a lot of exercise, I am just more worried about the possible side effects that make me love that big fudge brownie instead of my treadmil!!!

Anyone out there try both these huge life changing things and succeed?

Thanks,
Melissa

Replies

• mbaker1169
    mbaker1169 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!
    It has been a year since I have been on-- I lost 37 pounds and managed to keep 27 off until the holidays hit-- Ugg!!! It is nice to have a place to return to though!!

Here is a question....

Has anyone had any success in quitting smoking with the drug Chantix, and if so did you have to do anything special to lose weight at the same time? I am currently marathon training so I do get a lot of exercise, I am just more worried about the possible side effects that make me love that big fudge brownie instead of my treadmil!!!

Anyone out there try both these huge life changing things and succeed?

Thanks,
    Melissa
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I started Atkins Low Carb and quit smoking the same day.............. By the weekend, I wanted to cry.

Going through sugar and starch withdrawals and nicotene withdrawals had me feeling like I had the flu. I kid you not, I felt so weak and achy that I could barely get out of bed, head ached, body ached, etc...............

I was determined to stop smoking with no external assistance.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    my DH & i quit using chantix. we quit 2 yrs next month. i was in the middle of my weigh loss. had lost 74 pounds when i started chantix. i had gain 25/30 back. it took until july of last yr for me to get back on the weight loss track again that was about 18 months. the only side effect to quiting has been my metabolism is lower.
    i do exercise better, my asthma is better, i breath better, i have come off a few meds, my heart has a better recovery time during exericse. you will feel so much better. i smoked over a pack a day and for almost 30 ys. if i can do it you can do it. doctor told me that smoking will cause more health problems than weight. i needed to lose some weight first to get my diabeties under control. now i am back on the weight loss track, passed the weight i was when i quit smoking and on the down hill to goal.
    good luck...