anyone taking magnesium for depression?

Options
(sorry if this is inappropriate, but i know there are quite a few people on here battling against the same things as i am :/)

i was wondering if anyone was taking magnesium to fight depression, and if it worked? i started taking magnesium citrate about 3 weeks ago for cluster headaches at my mom's urging, and had been doing really well, altho i started at the same time i started dieting and exercising as well. on saturday, i fell really hard back into depression/ED. last night i realized that i had accidentally skipped my pills on friday, and hadn't taken them since.

when i realized this, i looked up what effects skipping a dosage of magnesium might cause, and found that in addition to helping migraines, it's also used to alleviate depression.

so basically, i'm wondering if anyone has used magnesium to treat depression effectively, and if that could be what happened? i started taking magnesium again, and i do feel a bit better, but it's hard to tell with my moodiness.

(btw, i do have a call out to my psychiatrist as well. my depression is currently unmedicated because of past experiences.)

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I don't know about that, but I've also been taking it for cluster headaches.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options

has it been working? mine haven't come around, but that's also the nature of cluster headaches so idk if it's working or if it's just not time for them yet :/
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I don't use it for that but, I can see it working. Magnesium in it's most absorbent forms (magnesium citrate and magnesium citramate) is a natural muscle relaxer. Taking a strong dose, more than RDA since that is the minimum recommended allowance, before bed will helps with sleep.

Conversely, zinc and calcium help wake up the muscles and get them going. Taking these in the morning is very helpful.

It's funny that these 3 are often put together in one supplement. Then it's just counteracting some of their better benefits.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

has it been working? mine haven't come around, but that's also the nature of cluster headaches so idk if it's working or if it's just not time for them yet :/

To an extent. They came back at one point, but were not NEARLY as bad as they have been in the past. When it was over, I was like, "wait, that's it?".