my dietician view on exercise cals. agree or disagree?

Options
1235»

Replies

• emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    you are the best expert on your own body

we are all different and sometimes the numbers re deficits and loss dont work!!
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I hate to immediately be so cynical, but I honestly wonder where your dietician got their professional credentials from, and how reputable an institution it is. Everything I have read since I started this process a couple of years ago indicates that, yes, you can run a bigger deficit than someone closer to their ideal lean body weight, but 400 net calories a day isn't healthy for anyone. Perhaps your dietician doesn't quite realize how many calories you are burning (btw, I wonder what it is you are doing to generate so much calorie burn). In my opinion, you may see really impressive short-term results but I would almost guarantee with a net cal rate like that you will crash hard...and soon.

Edit: it's also possible that, unless you are using a HRM, you are overestimating your exercise calories. Honestly, I just looked at your exercise log, and I'd guess that is likely the case. I'm going to guess your Wii Fit exercise staple is step? It's a solid burn if done at a 2 beat/sec rate, but that's faster than the fastest pace the Wii sets. Are you using the calorie burn amounts that the Wii gives you? If so, I can tell you from experience that they are rarely accurate at all. And the little "cleaning, light effort" entries I'd recommend simply leaving out entirely. That's the kind of thing that's just a part of your daily activity. If your dog walks are leisurely strolls with the pooch, ditto those.

THIS IS INCORRECT.

Here's the deal. I NEVER eat back my exercise calories unless I go out. There are times during the week that I burn more calories than I consume.

I am also going to go out on a limb that her "dietician" wait for it..knows what they are talking about.

I am not a dietician but I have been working out consistently for over 30 years and a trainer first starting in college.

if you ever have seen the biggest loser they lose 10-20 punds sometimes a week. The larger you are the easier it is going to be to lose more weight. The more body fat you have the easier its going to be to lose more weight also.

Listen to your dietician.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I'm under weight management through my doctor. I've seen 2 dieticians in the last week. My goal calories is 1400 to loose 2lb a week, without exercise. I'm burning anywhere around 500 to 1000 cals a day in exercise. I weigh 18st 4lb. The 2 dieticians have said because I'm so large I can run bigger deficits and because I'm exercising quite a lot my body won't go into starvation mode. They told me to eat 1400 and only eat extra if I feel hulengry or weak. So that's what I've been doing. I find on a 1000 cal burn day I want a couple hundred extra, but that's all I've had. I lost 4lb this week. It goes against what so many people say on here, but they are professionals so I'm confused. Any views for your experiences. They say when my weight is more like a normal person I will have to eat more, but I don't have to now because of my weight. Feeling confused right now. Can't help thinking this may come back to bite me! Zara
    P.S please bump me so that ill go to the top of the posts and get as many opinions as possible. Thanks
    Seriouly, as a health professional I always always tell my clients if you do not understand something or if you disagree please say something!!! It is apart of you Patient Bill of Rights and how will you suceed or build on our relationship through this if you are not totally honest. Say something to them becasue they have to answer to you and make you understand in words you understand so you can progress safely and without confusion. Take control. They need to make it clear until you understand and I am very serious!!!