Eat then Log vs. Log then Eat?

Options
Hello My Fellow MFP Early Birds
[well it's 6:20AM in my area anyways]

When it comes to the food diary; do you guys eat then log the foods after eating it, or do you make a plan of what you will eat for the day, log it see how much it will cost in calories?

Replies

• PBJunkie
    Options
    I should actually start logging what I eat but the thing is I eat the same stuff day in day out. I would guess it should be easier to track as you go unless you know your meal plan beforehand then you can do it afterwards.

So log first then eat, best to know what calories you have to play around with before consuming food.
  • burndust
    Options
    i always plan first, sometimes upto a week
  • statia152
    Options
    I have made "food coupons" that I leave on the counter. I have my normal stuff (cheese stick, fruit, protein shake ...) so I log after I eat. But if I go out or plan dinner, I log BEFORE!!! Many times I think stuff I used to eat is ok ... until I log it. Then I end up eating egg whites while the family eats my "healthy dinner".
  • abbie017
    Options
    I log right after each meal. That way I get the portion sizes right, and know exactly how I'm doing for the day.
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    I always try to log then eat, partially because I plan my day in advance and secondly because it allows me to see how many calories I have left at the end of the day :)
  • strawberryshortbread
    Options
    Hey,

I think it's different for everyone. I like to plan my day ahead so i know how many calories i have left for emergencies! Also it helps me keep focussed and on track.

I think it's down to preference :)

Have a great day
  • mmhenry28
    mmhenry28 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I log everything Im going to eat for the day in the morning or the night before. Then I try to stick to it.

It also encourages me to not eat extra bad food as I have to go back in and log more.

I also find that 9 times out of 10 if I dont log before I eat then I overeat.
  • kwamgee
    Options
    I have made "food coupons" that I leave on the counter. I have my normal stuff (cheese stick, fruit, protein shake ...) so I log after I eat. But if I go out or plan dinner, I log BEFORE!!! Many times I think stuff I used to eat is ok ... until I log it. Then I end up eating egg whites while the family eats my "healthy dinner".

@statia152, that happened to me recently at work. There was an office party and I thought I'd have a hot dog or two. I logged it after I got home. I was in complete dismay over the high amount of calories in 1 hotdog.
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I usually log before I go out to eat or am about to eat something Ive never had before, just so I know how many calories I'm lookin at, and so I know exactly how much of it I SHOULD eat ha.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Log then eat.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I log my evening meal in the morning, when i get up and decided what i will cook that evening. Then i just log other meals after i have eaten them. My evening meal really allows me to see how many calories i have to play with for the day so which breakfast and lunch ie hight or low calorie i need to have to fit in around that.
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I do a mixture of the two. The majority of the time I log after I eat, but sometimes if I know what I'm going to be eating later or I want to plan out my meals I'll log before I eat and adjust accordingly is measurements change, etc.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to plan ahead and log my food first, then eat it. I will then update it if there are any changes during the day. Works for me :flowerforyou:
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I try to log before I eat, that way I can plan what I'm eat, then calculate how much I will exercise, etc...
  • clarkies3
    Options
    I log each meal as I am making it. The app on my android is Amazing!!! I love the barcode scanner, it really makes it easier.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    6:45am where I am, and my entire day is already logged, and even some of tomorrow's! haha ;)

There will be some minor tweaking in it usually (as I guestimate weights of food when I am putting them into MFP, and then adjust to actual when I am making my plate up!)

I personally find that if I enter it before-hand, there is a better chance that I will stick to it, and not eat something that will put me into the negative...

I alos usually save a few calories (100 plus or minus) when I put my entire day in, so that I have flexibility with measurements, or the ability to add a snack if I need it...

GOOD LUCK!
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I log from my phone. So the things I know I'm going to eat I go ahead and log first. That way I know what my # 's are and where I need to head for the rest of the day. When I go out to eat I log before I go in the restraunant. That way I know the calorie count and go in with my mind already made up ( I'm less tempted to cheat that way ). I can always change what I log , so if I don't eat what I had planned I just change it. I never push the -Finnish logging for the day - button untill I'm done eating for the day and everythings right. So I guess it's a combo of both that works best for me.
  • Page2777
    Options
    i plan ahead and log all the food im gonna have that way i can check the calories and see where i am then i can then make alterations but if i eat anything extra then i add that after i have eaten
  • statia152
    Options

@statia152, that happened to me recently at work. There was an office party and I thought I'd have a hot dog or two. I logged it after I got home. I was in complete dismay over the high amount of calories in 1 hotdog.

Try doing snack shack at ball games and not eat hot dogs!! *sigh* I realize that they are just not worth the calories. May I suggest that you always have low fat string cheese (60 cal) and hard boiled eggs on hand? And make the coupons of all the snacks (with cal count) on them, that way you know what you can eat all the time! (apple 80, sting cheese 60, popcorn w/ butter 140, 2 egg whites 20) Good Luck! :smile:
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I try to log then eat, although sometimes I may have to tweak things if something unexpected happened or I wasn't hungry, etc. I like to plan ahead so I can see what's left for the day in order to plan my next meal, although I tend to spend approximately the same number of calories for lunch, snack, etc.