Cauli Faux-lafels! Low carb/low cal

Options
Laura_beau
Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
You've heard of cauli mash, cauli rice and cauli pizza crust.... here's cauli falafels!!! Or as I call them- Faux-lafels.

I was really craving a falalfel wrap but didn't want to overdo it on my carbs, so I decided to experiment and it worked!!! they are also oven baked so low in cals too.

This recipe will make 8 balls.

Nutiritional info per 'falalfel ball'- 46 calories, 3g of carbs.

RECIPE:

- 4 cups of cauliflower (a small/med head of cauli)
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt/granules or 1 clove garlic
- 1 red chilli pepper or pinch dried chilli flakes (tweak how you like the heat, or omit if you dont like spicy food).
- 1 handful fresh coriender (Cilantro), chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander powder
- 2 tbsp ground almonds (for binding)
- 1 beaten egg (for binding)
- Spray oil (I used 1 cal spray- approx 20 sprays)

METHOD:

- Chop the cauli roughly and part boil for about 4 mins until just beginning to soften. Drain and leave to cool.

- In a food processor- add the cauli, almonds, spices, garlic, coriander &beaten egg. whiz everything together until fairly smooth. If you don't own a food porcessor you can use a hand blender or even a masher. Put in the fridge to firm for about 1 hour.

- Preheat oven to 200c/400F. Spray the bottom of a baking tray with spray oil (dont need to do this if non stick).

- Take the mix out of the fridge and form into balls (about a tbsp of mix per ball). Place on the baking tray.

- Spray the top of the falafel with oil (Helps to colour them up) and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes- a little longer if they require further crisping up.

Serve in a pitta bread with salad and hummus/minted yoghurt, or- if you are low carbing serve in a lettuce wrap with grilled aubergine (Eggplant)/ courgette (zuchinni) slices and drizzle with sour cream mixed with mint & lemon juice.

I took pictures of these last night, and will upload them later if people would like to see them.

Replies