personal trainer or no?

PunkinPi
PunkinPi Posts: 4
edited October 2 in Fitness and Exercise
ok, im a lil discouraged. i joined a gym recently, and was all excited till i had my "complimentary session with a personal trainer"

alot of what he said made and still makes alot of sense... but he basically said that without a physical trainer i wont be able to lose weight. and i dont have enough money to pay for the trainer packages...

has anyone lost weight and hit their goal without the use of a physical trainer?

Replies

• thedodgeruk
    thedodgeruk Posts: 132 Member
    he just tryinng to line his own pockets, scum bag

off course you can loose weight without out one
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    I've lost weight without a personal trainer so it's possible. If you can't afford one, you can't afford one. There are plenty of free resources here and elsewhere online that can provide you with tips and instruction to develop your own workout program and give support for weight loss. A personal trainer does help for those who can take advantage of one but certainly not a necessity. I would say the trainer you talked to is trying to get a new client, hence the sales pitch.
  • You can learn a lot more from just reading and doing a little research than what a personal trainer can teach you.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    That's total bollocks! I've got to my goal with MFP and the advice of my friends here
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    I am sorry that you had that negative experience:( (Was it Golds Gym, they are notorious for that...) Anyhow, a lot of gyms are not there to help you lose weight, they are there to make money, and therefore they are going to try and sell you training sessions, supplements, shake mixes, etc, which you simply do not need.

Most of us on here who have had success have done so without any paid personal training services. I was fortunate that I had a trainer who during my complimentary session asked me if I planned to pay for more sessions, and when I said no came up with a workout plan I could do on my own.

My area of extensive knowledge is nutrition moreso than exercise, so I will defer to others to give you specifics, however I do know that if you focus on cardio and body weight exercises, (pushups, situps, pullups, etc), you can get great results without having to do anything fancy
  • That stinks that they made you feel that way. I was fortunate to meet my initial goal weight of 20 lbs in 3 months. However, I set an additional goal of 20 lbs by the end of 2011 and I got stalled. So, I ventured to a gym, got a membership and even a trainer. I will say that it is DEFINITELY possible to meet an ideal goal weight loss. However, if you are really on a push like I am with a 40 lbs weight loss, a trainer may be of assistance. I have had mine for about 1.5 months now and I've lost 7 lbs and several inches. So, they can make a difference.

Regardless of what you decide, getting started is half the battle and you've made that a priority. So, get in there, handle busines and get'er done!

Good Luck!
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Of course you can!!! However I must admit I love my trainer and he has helped me a lot.
  • He's talking nonsense!! 66 lbs lost, yes I joined a gym and have the benefit of being able to ask questions of the staff regarding fitness training, but nutrition? No, no diet plans, no meetings, no subscriptions! Just me, my wife, and our new best friend - MFP!!!
  • You can learn a lot more from just reading and doing a little research than what a personal trainer can teach you.

Thats a pretty broad brush there...

As far as the OP, that's pretty much crap and a hard sell and irresponsible. A good trainer helps. A lot. But you need to check credentials, references, etc.

I would have dismissed that one out of hand because of that statement regardless of how certifications he or she may have had.
    A PT is fantastic for more then knowledge, but anyone with that approach won't benefit you even on a support level given the transparent money grab.

Plenty do great without, plenty do poorly with, it really comes down to YOU and your drive. I have one now and he is crucial to where I am at this point, but I got here all by my lonesome and if needed to, could go forth without.

But, I feel the need to state that not all PT's are ignorant money grubbers and that some actually do know more then the average person. The ones I know are decent, hard working and care very much indeed.

Thats a pretty broad brush there...

As far as the OP, that's pretty much crap and a hard sell and irresponsible. A good trainer helps. A lot. But you need to check credentials, references, etc.

I would have dismissed that one out of hand because of that statement regardless of how certifications he or she may have had.
    A PT is fantastic for more then knowledge, but anyone with that approach won't benefit you even on a support level given the transparent money grab.

Plenty do great without, plenty do poorly with, it really comes down to YOU and your drive. I have one now and he is crucial to where I am at this point, but I got here all by my lonesome and if needed to, could go forth without.

But, I feel the need to state that not all PT's are ignorant money grubbers and that some actually do know more then the average person. The ones I know are decent, hard working and care very much indeed.

Okay fair but how many personal trainers tell you for every push you need a pull exercise, horizontally and vertically? Or perhaps look up when doing a deadlift as to prevent a disc to move out of your spine that can cause some serious issues?

How about compound exercises and the volume of these exercises? When is it best to do high reps or low reps?

Yes they may help you to some extend, but will they ever share their knowledge with you?
  • Well, see, i can't speak for everyone. So I'm afraid I can't answer that. I could just as well ask how many non trainers know that. Instead, I can share what I know and what the PT's I work with do.

Edited to make that last sentence more coherent.
  • I have learned a lot from a dietician visit and the people here on MFP. I walk alot, I mow the grass, I clean the chicken/turkey coop, I'm more active than before. My goal is to eat 1300-1500 calories daily. Sometime I eat the calories burned, sometimes I don't. I am planning for gastric bypass in October. So I do plan on a trainer to help to tone up due to the fast weight loss. BUT, you can still lose weight, the basic formula is less calories, more activity = weight loss. Consider doing research on eating more protein, less carbs, vegetables, fruit. Very small amount of processed sugar. Each serving of whatever you eat should have less than or equal to 5 fat and less than or equal to 5 sugars. Hope this helps. respectfully, joanna:flowerforyou:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    I have yet to meet a trainer who cares about MY goals. Also, I have met very few trainers who appear to actually work out.
  • The thing is people who really wants to embrace this lifestyle will need to do their research, they can even ask us...or perhaps we should have "Ask an Expert" section where one have his workout plan critiqued and set up correctly.
  • I wonder if this is a chain gym sort of thing? My gym is small and has a very dedicated staff (who all work out at the gym) who are generous with their knowledge. On the other hand, my experiences at Ballys and Gold's were abysmal.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    you don't need a personal trainer to lose weight. I'm not even a member of a gym. What is important is educating yourself on the types of exercise you can do to maximize fat burning (and what works for you might be different than what works for others....for example, most research and most MFPers would suggest doing resistance training and then cardio if you're doing both in a session....however, when I used to do both, I got fantastic results doing cardio first). In short, it takes some education and some experimentation on your end to figure out what works best for you and your body type. the other thing that you want to make sure you're doing is pushing yourself through each workout to maximize whatever time you spend exercising. Exercise should not be a chit chat session or a session where you go through the motions. Exercise should be about concentrating on each movement and pushing your limits to some degree.

Personal trainers can help with both of these, but you can also accomplish both on your own.
  • The thing is people who really wants to embrace this lifestyle will need to do their research, they can even ask us...or perhaps we should have "Ask an Expert" section where one have his workout plan critiqued and set up correctly.

I agree and think thats a great idea. But, I don' think PT's are evil by design and I do caution against taking anyones advice simply because they appear knowledgeable on the web. That could be your avi, you could be some fifty year old fat guy in a wife beater in Mom's basement.

Or you could have gotten that way in a way that is unhealthy. I think it behooves us to carry around a big *kitten* grain off salt in both virtual and real life, in all aspects, really. I've seen 'real' body building sites that give some of the most *kitten* backwards advice out there, but they look good.

If I have a real person in front of me, I know their credentials and am knowledgable myself to determine if they are full of **** (this is where your point of self education comes in) I feel safer then the shiniest fancy talk online. Not that online isn't awesome.

My convoluted point reaching being that all things approaches have merit, but rarely is it as simple as either or. Every consumer needs to educate themselves. Before I even looked for a trainer I spend hours learning the basics and the met current info. That way I had a sort of jumping off point. If they knew more then me, awesome.

After all I only have one body and to blithely turn it over to someone online or IRL is silly.

Edited to add:

One of the things my trainer said to be straight away was that it was his goal to make me independent. It's also helps to observe PT's with clients, if all the clients do the same thing, run away. Or run walk, whatever.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I am currently using a personal trainer, I started using him after I lost my weight and when I wanted to get more serious about strength training. He's awesome, I know him personally as I work at the gym so it was an easy decision for me, he doesn't push or pressure me to extend, and he works me hard. I'm very satisfied with my decision, but don't have the money to renew in 2 weeks. I feel confident that I have the resources I need to continue the work we started together and will keep getting stronger.

Anywho, bottom line is you don't need one, you just need a good schedule.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Yes they may help you to some extend, but will they ever share their knowledge with you?

My two sense on this matter.. Yes they will, if you ask the right questions. I have a Personal Trainer who is more then happy to sit down and answer my questions and give me his knowledge. He understands that I'm not made of money(told him this from day 1) and he understands that I'm doing what I can with what I got. So he's more willing to explain and share, without the crazy price tag attached to it.

To OP:
    No, a personal trainer is not necessary but they are nice. I have one, and I like him a lot.
    Could I have lost the weight without him? Yea, probably.. but I wouldn't have been as motivated, or started weights.. I prob. would have been stuck in cardio only mode.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    I actually said I wanted a personal trainer when I joined my gym and after talking to three different trainers (just to see which of them I liked best), they each said to me that I didn't need a personal trainer. Each of them offered to set up a free session with me to put together a program that I could then follow myself. Had my free session this morning (ended up being scheduled with the person I liked the least, hey ho, what do I know?), and it was excellent. She showed me a series of exercises to do, how to do them, what weights to use, and then said, make sure you add in some cardio, and then check back with us in four weeks to set up a new program. She also said, we're always here and don't be afraid to ask questions or for help. But I was quite amused that they all felt that I was better off keeping my money in my pocket and taking advantage of their expertise as part of my gym membership, not in addition to it. I like people who don't like to spend my money!
This discussion has been closed.