Sorry for TMI but anyone have trouble "going"?

Options
We're all adults on here so I'm gonna try to make this as un-awkward of a question as possible. It seems that every time I try to loose weight and begin diet/exercise my bathroom time significantly decreases which makes me nervous. Usually I "go" everyday or occasionally every other day if I didn't eat much one day. But I'm on day four of not going right now with no inkling of the need. I have also developed sharp pain in my left upper abdomen (right below ribs) which I don't know whether or not to relate to this or not. The pain comes and goes so I'm not sure.

Replies

• OooLaurenooO
    OooLaurenooO Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I occationally get like this when i havent eaten much in the day, i become all bloated & its uncomfortable. =( I found eating apples strangly kinda helps. lol And keep drinking plenty of water to help "flush" :laugh:
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    :embarassed: bump
    sad but true, i'm interested in what others say about this 'cause it has been a problem for me as well
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    First all of call your doctor and make an appt. if you are in pain.
    Going less to the bathroom and therefore spending or wasting less time and toilet paper, water. etc. is one perk of losing weight/eating less.
    I'd also be concerned too if I didn't go for 4 days. Are you tracking your fiber intake? You may need to eat more fiber.
    Then again just call your doctor, would you.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My wife is constipated. We eat a high fiber, low fat diet.... I know that before I gave up dairy and started this diet I had "loose" stool daily. Now, I am regular and satisfied.

No doubt that diet effects your digestion.

Good luck with your troubles and go forth and POOP!!
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Might be time for an unpleasant trip to the doctor's.

Do you eat much fiber on your diet? (Fresh veg, sticks of celery, less refined carbs).
  • MzLori
    Options
    Hi, I am post op Gastric Bypass. I know that my surgeon tells me if I havent gone in 24-36 hours I need a dose of milk of magnesia. If taken before bedtime it usually works first thing the next morning. I highly recommend this for you, anytime you are depriving your body of the norm it gets confused. Hope it gets better for you. :)
  • gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If the pain is severe get it checked by a doctor. It may be just, gas. If you have problems with the bathroom, I use ground flaxseed either in my cereal, yogurt or shake.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Do you have a lot of fiber in your diet? Also do you drink enough water as well?
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Do you have a lot of fiber in your diet? Also do you drink enough water as well?
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Usually when we change our diets, it takes our bodies time to adjust.

Here are some foods that will help... I try not to use any medications unless its life or death, lol.

Apples/Apple juice
    Tea (Any kind, but my favorites are black tea or green tea.. doesn't have to be expensive either.)
    Coffee (Helps but I personally don't drink it)
    Rasins
    Prunes (Don't worry I wouldn't eat them either)
    Grapes (The red ones)

Give your body at least 2 weeks to adjust to the new changes and then things should feel more normal :)
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Doctor. Water, Water, Fiber... in that order. :wink:
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I found the same. For me, drinking more water has helped and consciously trying to include more fibre in my diet. Prunes or prune juice work a treat for getting you back to being regular - or rather as reguar as you ever are!
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    When you start talking about having pain, it may be time to see the doctor?

However, when it comes to the bathroom issue, I found the same thing when I started dieting.
    My doctor recommended getting more fibre in - and not just in food.
    Therefore, I began taking 1 orange benefibre pill before bed (don't like the powder) every 4 days if I hadn't gone.
    This worked like a charm, and it just helped me to go normally, nothing more! ;)

However, I have read that once you start this kind of routine, your body can get used to it.
    Therefore, over the past few months, I have been trying to increase my fibre in food, and drinking more water.
    This seems to be doing it for me, and I will only need to take a Benefibre like once per month or so...
    I've been going for 9-12 cups of water per day lately, and that seems to do it!

Good Luck!
  • simplyychaos
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys. The funny thing is; the last few days my fiber intake has actually been high, mostly with apples, carrots, lettuce, and celery. Also coffee and grapes (as one person mentioned)
    Guess I will be seeing the doc on Friday if the issue hasn't resolved itself.
  • omgitsgarry
    Options
    I was having this problem when I first started. I suggest a daily fiber supplement. I take benefiber. It's three times a day and it is tasteless so you can put it in anything, but I just mix it with water.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    If you haven't gone in 4 days and are feeling pains in your side, you're pretty likely constipated.

I've never gone that long, but when I get "tight up", I up my vegetable fiber significantly (like two or three apples in a day, or three servings of spinach in a meal) and being really conscious about keeping my water intake high will take care of it.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    From what I have read about this you need to make sure you are not only getting enough fiber but you need healthy fats too.
  • Wibikerlady
    Wibikerlady Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My simple answer is, we to a gastrointestinal dr about the same issue...started dropping the weight, but couldnt *go*. He told me to take Miralax.... He also told me I could take it daily if needed. Well, that was almost 2yrs ago. I use the WalMart version of it, but I take a cap full every morning and every night. On a TMI note, 99.99% of the time, I have no problems in the mornings. People will say add more fiber..but there is a thin line of more and too much. Too much fiber will bind you up, hence, not being able to go. Like I said, I use it every morning and usually have no issues. But if I cant go one morning, lord help me the next morning! LOL
    As for the pain, I would have to say thats because your backed up. Your intestines are trying to push down and you probably dont have anywhere for it to move. Eat an apple, some grapes things like that to help you get some movement to remove some pain.
    Good luck and dont be sorry about the TMI question...people have the issue and your question and everyones help might help someone.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys. The funny thing is; the last few days my fiber intake has actually been high, mostly with apples, carrots, lettuce, and celery. Also coffee and grapes (as one person mentioned)
    Guess I will be seeing the doc on Friday if the issue hasn't resolved itself.
    You have to balance fiber with water, otherwise fiber can have the opposite effect.
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    When I started my "diet" on here I started with Low/no Carb and to make sure that I would go I tracked my fiber intake to make sure I was getting enough in. That is a huge reason for the not going also making sure you drink pleanty of water!!!!! When you become dehydrated from not drinking enough you will have problems going as well. The pains you are describing sound a lot like gas pains. You might try a laxative like a senna laxative or even a psillium fiber suplement like Metemucil(sp) it might help your current situation. Good luck!