More of what? Protein?

Options
Hi all. I have been stuck for awhile, like several months. I started doing a bootcamp two weeks ago. I lost 3% body fat, but no weight in one week. Today marks the end of two weeks of bootcamp. The trainer told me to limit carbs during the day, and have them in the evening with supper. That's what I've done. He also said to have almonds or avodcados in the morning. I opted for almonds. (this was instead of not eating, because I've always gained when eating breakfast). I have a salad for lunch and then my dinner consists of a meat, starch, and a veggie, generally. I stay within my calorie limit. I am not losing weight still, just body fat. What recommendations can you give? Should I be having more protein? Less sugars? Constructive criticism welcomed. My diary is public.

ETA: Bootcamp is M-F 6:30 to 7:15. This week Trainer B is on vacay, so I'm doing M W F 630, and evening 530/730 class. When Trainer B gets back next week, I will go back to M-F 630, and also the evening 530/730 MWF. I want results, and I want them now...

Replies

• LickyNees
    LickyNees Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I am interested to hear comments too
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    *your protein should at the least be between 60-80 grams a day.
    *you NEED to make sure you have a balanced breakfast to start your day
    *stay away from pop, junk & fast food... this increases sodium BIG time and is not a friend of weight loss.

fine tune things of what you are doing... find what you need to do for your body to respond and you will see results
  • ConfidenceNMe
    Options
    Also, I don't know why your personal fitmess trainer said to eat your carbs during the evening. I've found with alot of people that eating more of your carb intake in the morning helps burn it off throughout the day. If you eat it in the evening hours, not only are you not doing anything to work it off, but you're going to sleep. And though your body does burn calories while you sleep, It is only very few. If I'm still hungry, I usually fill up on water. More protein is good, and though when you work out, you need some extra calories to eat but if you stay within your daily caloric goal, you'll see more results. I know ths is a long time argument on mfp.com, but if you eat everything you work off, not only will you be quite full, but you'll more than likely gain weight or stay the same. This also depends on where you at in your weightloss, so it varies person to person.
  • LickyNees
    LickyNees Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    *you NEED to make sure you have a balanced breakfast to start your day

hmmmm.....one of leangains.com's top 10 myths:

"7. Myth: Skipping breakfast is bad and will make you fat.

Truth
    Breakfast skipping is associated with higher body weights in the population. The explanation is similar to that of lower meal frequencies and higher body weights. Breakfast skippers have dysregulated eating habits and show a higher disregard for health. People who skip breakfast are also more likely to be dieting, thus by default they are also likely to be heavier than non-dieters. Keep in mind that most people who resort to breakfast skipping are not the type that sit around and read about nutrition. They are like most people dieting in a haphazard manner. The type to go on a 800 calorie-crash diet and then rebound, gaining all the weight (and then some) back.

Sometimes, an argument is made for eating breakfast as we are more insulin sensitive in the morning. This is true; you are always more insulin sensitive after an overnight fast. Or rather, you are always the most insulin sensitive during the first meal of the day. Insulin sensitivity is increased after glycogen depletion. If you haven't eaten in 8-10 hours, liver glycogen is modestly depleted. This is what increases insulin sensitivity - not some magical time period during the morning hours. Same thing with weight training. Insulin sensitivity is increased as long as muscle glycogen stores aren't full. It doesn't disappear if you omit carbs after your workout.

Origin
    First of all, we have the large scale epidemiological studies showing an association with breakfast skipping and higher body weights in the population. One researcher from that study, commenting on the association with breakfast skipping or food choices for breakfast, said:

"These groups appear to represent people 'on the run,' eating only candy or soda, or grabbing a glass of milk or a piece of cheese. Their higher BMI would appear to support the notion that 'dysregulated' eating patterns are associated with obesity, instead of or in addition to total energy intake per se."

Kellogg's and clueless RDs love to cite them over and over again, so people are lead to believe that breakfast has unique metabolic and health-related benefits. In reality, these studies just show breakfast eaters maintain better dietary habits overall.

Other studies frequently cited claiming that breakfast is beneficial for insulin sensitivity are all marred with methodological flaws and largely uncontrolled in design.

In one widely cited study, subjects were entrusted to eat most meals in free-living conditions. The breakfast skipping group ate more and gained weight, which affected health parameters negatively.

From the abstract: "Reported energy intake was significantly lower in the EB period (P=0.001), and resting energy expenditure did not differ significantly between the 2 periods." EB = eating breakfast. In essence, people who ate breakfast could control their energy intake better for the rest of the day. They didn't gain any weight but the breakfast skipping group did. Fat gain always affects insulin sensitivity and other health parameters negatively. Thus what people took this to mean is that breakfast is healthy and improves insulin sensitivity. Which isn't at all what the study showed."
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Definitely up your protein. Completely remove your carbs until evening. I also think you workout to much. One day a week reverse your protein/carb intake and eat little protein with lots of carbs and eat at a surplus.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I think the main issue is you're already at a healthy bmi, trying to lose even more. Your body isn't going to give up pounds very readily at that point (and I would rethink being focussed on a number on the scale, and instead concentrate on shape).
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I agree with upping your protein (ideally you should have 1 gm per lb of body weight) and you can do that with greek yogurt, protein powders, bars, etc.

I disagree with limiting carbs because carbs fuel your body. Opt for complex carbs, those made with whole wheat and whole grain when whole wheat is not available.
  • 4theking
    Options
    I agree with upping your protein (ideally you should have 1 gm per lb of body weight) and you can do that with greek yogurt, protein powders, bars, etc.

I disagree with limiting carbs because carbs fuel your body. Opt for complex carbs, those made with whole wheat and whole grain when whole wheat is not available.

Not limit carbs just eat them in a short window in the evening. Also, doesn't matter where these carbs come from. When you are dieting and eating lower carb, your muscle and liver glycogen stores are going to be depleted. Any carb you eat, regardless of source, is going to refill this storage area and give you immediate energy before spilling over into bodyfat.
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I think the main issue is you're already at a healthy bmi, trying to lose even more. Your body isn't going to give up pounds very readily at that point (and I would rethink being focussed on a number on the scale, and instead concentrate on shape).

Agreed.
    You are only 7.5 away from goal and in a healthy range already. I would be very happy to be losing the fat and becoming more fit. I also don't see why the complex carbs are supposed to be in the evening - not sure why that would matter (did he say why?)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Not limit carbs just eat them in a short window in the evening. Also, doesn't matter where these carbs come from. When you are dieting and eating lower carb, your muscle and liver glycogen stores are going to be depleted. Any carb you eat, regardless of source, is going to refill this storage area and give you immediate energy before spilling over into bodyfat.

But don't complex carbs take longer to break down versus simple carbs?
  • 4theking
    Options

But don't complex carbs take longer to break down versus simple carbs?

Yes they do.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't know why your personal fitmess trainer said to eat your carbs during the evening. I've found with alot of people that eating more of your carb intake in the morning helps burn it off throughout the day. If you eat it in the evening hours, not only are you not doing anything to work it off, but you're going to sleep. And though your body does burn calories while you sleep, It is only very few. If I'm still hungry, I usually fill up on water. More protein is good, and though when you work out, you need some extra calories to eat but if you stay within your daily caloric goal, you'll see more results. I know ths is a long time argument on mfp.com, but if you eat everything you work off, not only will you be quite full, but you'll more than likely gain weight or stay the same. This also depends on where you at in your weightloss, so it varies person to person.

Your body burns lots of calories though the night while you sleep. For the vast majority of people their daily activity adds only a small percentage of their total daily calorie burn. I did the math for mine comparing what my expected daily calorie burn minus my BMR (what is needed to keep me alive if I just lay in a bed all day and did not move) and the calories burned through my normal daily activity was one 20% or so of my total calories burned.

Just so you know, through the night your body repairs all the wear and tear you put on it through the day, and guess what, that takes calories.

To the original poster, I would suggest eating much more protein .7 grams per pound of bodyweight would be good.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I think you may need to eat more - you seem to eat <1200 calories much of the time. When you exercise this puts you at even more of a deficit. It seems like a lot of people do better when they eat their recommended allowance PLUS their exercise calories.
  • mdfeller
    Options
    Definitely up your protein. Completely remove your carbs until evening. I also think you workout to much. One day a week reverse your protein/carb intake and eat little protein with lots of carbs and eat at a surplus.

This is what my trainer has me doing. (besides saying upping my protein, since I haven't discussed that with him yet) "Saturdays" have been assigned as the 'cheat' day to apparently "throw my body or metabolism" into shock per se.

For the workout, I was doing very little 2-4 per week and only Jillian Michaels, and wasn't making any progress which I why I started the bootcamp 5x per week, and now after two weeks no results, so I thought I'd add more. Do you really think it would be beneficial to cut back? I'm all ears.

For the breakfast portion, I just can't do more than what I do with the exception of adding an egg in the mix. I'm sorry. As I've said before when I eat breakfast, I always gain. It never fails. I recently tried again last month, and gained a lot of what I lost back, about 4 pounds. I don't want that. I'm fine with maintaining without eating bfast, rather than gaining with eating bfast. Obviously I'd rather lose. It seems these last 5 pounds are very stubborn. However, I am committed to losing them.
  • mdfeller
    Options

That is possible, and I wouldn't focus on the weight so much, if I could go down in clothes size. If I were to comfortably get into a 5 and on "fat" days in my 7, rather than 7's and 9's, I wouldn't be trying quite so hard and looking for advice. I'm not happy with my body shape yet.
  • mdfeller
    Options

I can do that. I can exchange my usual 'snack' of peanut butter toast with yogurt and I'll ditch my 100 cals of chocolate bar for something with more protein in it.
  • mdfeller
    Options

Yeah, that's almost exactly what he said.

What are some other protein suggestions? That aren't necessarily meat. I can also add something to my salad, I'm sure.

Your body burns lots of calories though the night while you sleep. For the vast majority of people their daily activity adds only a small percentage of their total daily calorie burn. I did the math for mine comparing what my expected daily calorie burn minus my BMR (what is needed to keep me alive if I just lay in a bed all day and did not move) and the calories burned through my normal daily activity was one 20% or so of my total calories burned.

Just so you know, through the night your body repairs all the wear and tear you put on it through the day, and guess what, that takes calories.

To the original poster, I would suggest eating much more protein .7 grams per pound of bodyweight would be good.
  • ashreneeknutson
    Options
    Try starting your morning out with a fruit, then don't eat anything else for at least 30 min. If you're still hungry after that, then eat something small like a piece of toast or an egg. The fruit will help get your body working and will help you not be as hungry during the day.
  • 4theking
    Options

This is what my trainer has me doing. (besides saying upping my protein, since I haven't discussed that with him yet) "Saturdays" have been assigned as the 'cheat' day to apparently "throw my body or metabolism" into shock per se.

For the workout, I was doing very little 2-4 per week and only Jillian Michaels, and wasn't making any progress which I why I started the bootcamp 5x per week, and now after two weeks no results, so I thought I'd add more. Do you really think it would be beneficial to cut back? I'm all ears.

For the breakfast portion, I just can't do more than what I do with the exception of adding an egg in the mix. I'm sorry. As I've said before when I eat breakfast, I always gain. It never fails. I recently tried again last month, and gained a lot of what I lost back, about 4 pounds. I don't want that. I'm fine with maintaining without eating bfast, rather than gaining with eating bfast. Obviously I'd rather lose. It seems these last 5 pounds are very stubborn. However, I am committed to losing them.

How much are you eating on your spike/refeed/cheat day? Also, don't eat breakfast if you don't want to. Just be sure and get some protein in at your last meal.
  • AngieMcHenry
    AngieMcHenry Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This may or may not help you, but I had the same problem...stuck. I recently started doing Chalean Extreme along with the running that I was already doing, but I was not losing any weight or inches. This week I upped my calories to 1700 on no workout days and 1900 on days I do workout AND I aim for 1g of protein per pound of body weight. I can already tell a difference on the scale. I think your body may be in starvation mode from too few calories.