Gained 2 lbs in 2 days???

Options
2»

Replies

• cownancy
    Options
    First of all, do NOT weight yourself more than once a week, or you will drive yourself NUTS! Your body can easily fluctuate as much as ten pounds on any given day, that's just normal. Also, if you are looking for long term success, concentrate on eating the right food in the proper amounts and NOT the scale. If you eat 1200 calories and keep your carbs, sugar, sodium in check and get enough lean protein, there is no reason that you shouldn't eventually see the scale move. But, you are not helping yourself micro-managing the scale!

Concentrate on the steps and the results WILL come. Log everything that goes into your mouth and cut down on the sodium. Drink the water. AND, take care of yourself while you are sick!

Good luck!!!
  • aunt_hbomb
    Options
    My scale fluctuates 2 lbs every week. I only count the scale reading once per week on the same day every week. That's a more accurate telling of your actual weight rather than a day-to-day reading.
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. You are only eating around 930 calories a day. That is very low. You need to eat more.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

Not eating enough won't make you gain weight, can't make something out of nothing, if anything it would just slow ya down a bit after a week of not eating enough.

Maybe it's WHAT you're eating, a lot of sweets or carbs instead of lean protein and veggies will do that for you, processed foods and high sodium, etc.
  • KarenLipana
    Options
    It is a very sad morning :( I weighed myself this morning and was shocked to see that I had gained 2 pounds since I last weighed myself 2 days ago. I've been a little sick, so I haven't even been eating a lot, and I have no idea what could have caused a gain. Does anyone know what could be going on? If I keep gaining that quickly I'll destroy all of my progress in no time..

dont worry too much. Its probably just water coz its simply impossible to weigh more if you are not eating more than usual. Dont be too hard on yourself. Hope you feel better.
    **hugs
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    You really can't worry much about fluctuations over a matter of days. I enjoy weighing myself every day as it is a sense of anticipation and focus for me. But my weight naturally bounces +/- 2 pounds from its track. Lots of things can cause variation. Did you poop or not yesterday? Did you drink more or less? Time of the month? Heck I'd be surprised if most bathroom scales were even consistent +/- a pound.

It's the overall trend you are looking for.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

Not eating enough won't make you gain weight, can't make something out of nothing, if anything it would just slow ya down a bit after a week of not eating enough.

Maybe it's WHAT you're eating, a lot of sweets or carbs instead of lean protein and veggies will do that for you, processed foods and high sodium, etc.

True, but then, not. If you aren't eating enough, it doesn't matter what you are eating, there is no "magic" food that will cause you to gain weight on a calorie deficit. The laws of thermodynamics don't care what food you eat.

That said, not eating enough (eating less than 1200 calories, generally) will cause you to lose muscle mass INSTEAD of fat, which will kill your metabolism, and cause your maintenance needs to drop, as well as your body fat to increase, and can lead to stagnation on the scale, as your body hangs on to every calorie it can, as it panics, not knowing how long it may be before getting more food.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

True, but then, not. If you aren't eating enough, it doesn't matter what you are eating, there is no "magic" food that will cause you to gain weight on a calorie deficit. The laws of thermodynamics don't care what food you eat.

That said, not eating enough (eating less than 1200 calories, generally) will cause you to lose muscle mass INSTEAD of fat, which will kill your metabolism, and cause your maintenance needs to drop, as well as your body fat to increase, and can lead to stagnation on the scale, as your body hangs on to every calorie it can, as it panics, not knowing how long it may be before getting more food.

But there are "magic" foods which will lead to water retention and, therefore, an apparent gain on the scale.

As far as "starvation mode" I think it's mostly BS to be honest (at least in how people throw the term around on MFP). Yeah it will slow down but...people do STARVE, if you aren't taking in calories then you lose weight as your body eats itself, and it will continue eating itself until you either take in more calories or die.

I think that if this is actually 2 pounds of weight then it's either water retention or the OP isn't logging the diary fully (seen that one a lot ;))
  • ckspores
    Options
    It is unlikely that you gained 2 pounds of actual weight in 2 days. Stop weighing yourself every few days (stick to once a week).

Also, based on your diary entries, you need to eat more. 930 calories a day does not a healthy and balanced diet make.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yes, people who don't eat starve. They lose all of their muscle mass first, and then when that is gone, they lose what fat stores they have. The danger is someone who eats just enough to maintain fat. Here's the thing with fat vs muscle. Fat takes about 3 calories per hour to sustain, muscle takes about 50. If the body isn't getting enough fuel, and has to make a choice, it will burn off the more metabolically active tissue first (aka muscle.) Also, fat regulates and creates hormones, as well as controls human body temperature. This also makes fat a higher priority for saving than muscle.

True, we always see those pictures of starving children, and that puts it in our head it's impossible to starve and not maintain weight. That's simply not the case, as after a certain point of burning muscle, your metabolism will balance off. If you eat 900 calories a day, eventually your body will burn off muscle tissue to the point where 900 calories is your maintenance level. If someone is emaciated to the point where you can see bones protruding, it's not because they have no body fat, it's because they have no muscle mass.
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had that the other day, except I gained 4lb over night.

Drank loads of water and it's gone now, plus some more.

Unless you've eaten, like others have said, 7000 calories then it's not fat.
  • pickle46
    pickle46 Posts: 2
    Options
    that's interesting..I take two antihistamines by prescription for a chronic rash and I a having a horrible time losing weight...I think I'm going to quit taking them, deal with the itchy rash and see what happens..