Healthier quiche crust?

Options
swimmermama
swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
Eggs are on sale at my store this week, so I am making quiche for dinner! My husband is very much against crustless quiches and I hate the idea of store-bought pie crusts. I found a few recipes that used shredded potatoes as a crust, like this one: http://stephaniegallagher.suite101.com/spinach-quiche-recipe-a28344

Has anyone ever tried that? Or used anything other than a traditional crust for a quiche? What do you think might work?

Thank!

Replies

• crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've often thought about using a few sheets of filo for a quiche crust but not yet got round to trying it. If you use something like a 1 cal oil spray instead of painting the filo with butter, it's not too bad on the calorie front.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Spinach, Green Onion, and Smoked Gouda Quiche
    We like the creamy, custardy consistency of this quiche when it's baked for 35 minutes. If you prefer a firmer texture, bake an additional 5 minutes.

YIELD: 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
    TOTAL:2 Hours, 36 Minutes
    COURSE: Breakfast/Brunch
    Ingredients

Crust:
    6 tablespoons butter, softened
    2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 large egg yolk
    5 3/5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
    Filling:
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
    3 cups fresh baby spinach
    1 cup 1% low-fat milk
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated smoked Gouda cheese
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    Dash of grated nutmeg
    3 large eggs
    Preparation

1. To prepare crust, place butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Combine milk, salt, and egg yolk in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add milk mixture to butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour; beat just until combined. Press mixture into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap; cover. Chill for 1 hour.

2. Preheat oven to 350°.

3. Unwrap and place chilled dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 10-inch circle. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Freeze 15 minutes. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.

4. To prepare filling, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add spinach; sauté 2 minutes.

5. Combine 1 cup milk and remaining ingredients in a bowl; stir well with a whisk. Stir in spinach mixture. Pour filling into crust. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Cut into 10 wedges.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 205
    Fat: 12.9g
    Saturated fat: 6.8g
    Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
    Protein: 7.3g
    Carbohydrate: 15.4g
    Fiber: 1.1g
    Cholesterol: 113mg
    Iron: 1.5mg
    Sodium: 405mg
    Calcium: 120mg
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Spinach, Caramelized Onion, and Feta Quiche

To decrease fat, we've used 2 egg yolks and 5 egg whites. Some egg yolks are necessary to produce a creamy filling. You can refrigerate the leftover yolks for up to 3 days in an airtight container (add a tablespoon of water so the yolks don't develop a film).

YIELD: 8 servings
    COURSE: Breakfast/Brunch, Main Dishes
    Ingredients

2 teaspoons olive oil
    3 cups chopped onion
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups frozen Southern-style hash brown potatoes, thawed
    1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated soft breadstick dough
    Cooking spray
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
    1 cup fat-free milk
    3 large egg whites
    2 large eggs
    1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
    Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, sugar, and salt; cook for 30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in potatoes, and cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat.

Unroll dough, separating into strips. Working on a flat surface, coil one strip of dough around itself in a spiral pattern. Add second strip of dough to the end of the first strip, pinching ends together to seal; continue coiling the dough. Repeat procedure with the remaining dough strips. Cover and let dough rest for 10 minutes. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle, and fit into a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray.

Spread potato mixture in bottom of prepared crust, and top with spinach. Combine milk, egg whites, eggs, and cheese; pour the milk mixture over the spinach. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until set, shielding crust with foil after 50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 262
    Calories from fat: 29%
    Fat: 8.4g
    Saturated fat: 3.7g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
    Protein: 11.7g
    Carbohydrate: 35.3g
    Fiber: 2.4g
    Cholesterol: 72mg
    Iron: 2.5mg
    Sodium: 713mg
    Calcium: 188mg
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe ideas! I will let you know what I try and how it goes!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've often thought about using a few sheets of filo for a quiche crust but not yet got round to trying it. If you use something like a 1 cal oil spray instead of painting the filo with butter, it's not too bad on the calorie front.

I bet these would work great with mini quiches (muffin tin size). I'm gonna have to try this idea.

I did make a hashbrown shred - egg Bisquick "impossible" pie once ..... not great.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options

I bet these would work great with mini quiches (muffin tin size). I'm gonna have to try this idea.

I did make a hashbrown shred - egg Bisquick "impossible" pie once ..... not great.

Your right! Hmm, mini quiches as snacks for me next week i think :)
  • slicksps
    Options
    I keep chickens so have eggs in abundance. I've seen crustless quiches however as a diet version of this amazing dish. I would probably line the bottom of the tin with a thin short crust pastry and leave the sides open. Alternatively make it full fat (the way we all love) but limit the portion sizes :-/ ...