Big Discrepancy

Options
This morning, I did the Wii Fit Free Run, which is essentially jogging in place. But for 20 minutes of "jog in place" I get 300 calories from MFP, while the same time on the Free Run only get me about half that. Which should I use?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Always go with the lower one.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Well 300 calories sounds like a bit much for jogging in place. That's a 4k run for me. (I use a HRM)
  • misjes1
    Options
    Always go with the lower numbers for exercise and the higher numbers for food calories. This will ensure you are good.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Always the lower number, especially if you eat back your calories.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    What would you say your pace was? 4 mph? 5?
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Does the Wii Fit Run use a HRM? because if it does use that.... if not average the two out and take the median number..

I always burn more than my Wii Active Sport 2 HRM says
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My husband & I both have found that the Wii fit figures very low and alot of the reason is you really have a hard time getting the controller to register with the machine because your moving so much. I would suggest using what MFP has or cut it down a bit if that makes you feel better. Just remember that MFP is most likely figuring a good hard jog in place so if you were not doing as consistent or difficult just cut it back. My suggestion only others may think differently. Good job on working out though!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Always the lower number, especially if you eat back your calories.

This!! And I agree that seems like a lot for jogging in place. That's a 2+ mile run for me at about a 10 min pace...
  • ygrad2001
    Options
    I always subtract 125 from what mfp says, if I don't have my HRM.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I deleted the "jog in place" and put the Free Run numbers in instead. I sweated a little, but not 300 calories worth. I've heard the "underestimate exercise, overestimate calories" before, and it seems like a good rule of thumb to me. Maybe I'll ask for a heart rate monitor for my birthday. :bigsmile: