Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbells

Anyone use these? Wondering if they are worth the price. Thinking about getting them for my husband for his birthday...any thoughts?

http://www.bowflexselecttech.com/bowflex_selecttech_us/products.jsp

Thanks!

Replies

• My husband has them. He says they are bulky and take getting used to. I use them sometimes as well. They are bigger than normal dumbells of course, but they are compact in the scope of having a full range of weights in one dumbell; and, selecting your weight is easy. He has the heavier weights, up to 90lbs. I can't say if they are worth the price or not because I don't know the price of a full range of hand weights. He also got the stand and bench as well. Costing nearly $1000. Definitely not cheap.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Individual dumbbells are usually priced $1/pound, but sometimes you can find them on sale. The best way to figure out if thy're worth it for you is to figure out what weights he'll be using, figure out how much you'll be spending and see which is cheaper and of course, take shipping into account. Buying weights online can be ridiculous because they can be so expensive to ship.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    I would have loved to get these, but I bought the Reebok speedpak. They were like $60 a dumbbell. I found them at target.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    I have the 552s and so far like them a lot. They take up a LOT less space than a full set of dumbbells would. I didn't get the stand. Just practice proper lifting procedures from the floor and you'll be fine, maybe even better than with the stand that you have to lean over a bit to use.
  • badbradclark
    badbradclark Posts: 47 Member
    I have the Weider brand, which is about half the price of the bowflex and came with a free stand. Goes up to 50 lbs and I like them a lot. Although I do like them, I would prefer individual dumbbells, but a whole set of them takes up too much space for me.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    I have the Weider brand, which is about half the price of the bowflex and came with a free stand. Goes up to 50 lbs and I like them a lot. Although I do like them, I would prefer individual dumbbells, but a whole set of them takes up too much space for me.

Thanks- I'll have to check out that brand. :)