The way I see it

cessnaholly
cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
First, thank you to Mike. Thank you for sharing your website with us on the Internet. For free. With mostly accurate information. That is easy to use. That allows other folks to connect in a common fight.

Next. This is Mike's site. He built it. He maintains it. He wrote it for himself and he was kind enough to share it with all of us.

The way I see it, this is Mike's house. It runs off Mike rules. He doesn't charge us. He responds to everyone who contacts him. He tries to make the site better for us to use. He asks us for our thoughts. But the bottom line, this is his site.

Why do people think they can come here and demand that there are new rules? Why do people think that just because they can join that this is suddenly their own playground to do as they want? Because it is anonymous? Because it is free? because it is online? It doesn't matter. This is Mike's site. Not ours. We are merely visitors to it.

How would you feel if someone came to your house and demanded that you change your rules? Would you change your rules because they didn't want to follow them? What if they came to your house and used language you didn't agree with? Would you say, OK - say what you want? Or would you tell them that it is your house? And if they chose to leave because they didn't like the rules - no hard feelings, that's just the way it is.

There are so many people here who are wonderful and encouraging and following the rules. My greatest fear is that Mike will get tired of all the dumb bickering and complaining about his house rules and just shut this site down. If you don't like Mike's house rules, then no hard feelings and be on your way.

If you don't mind the rules (which really are just being civil and nice to each other) then stay and support your own health and others.

Let's stop the bickering and complaining and trying to change the house rules. They are fine just the way they are. If you think you can make a better website go ahead and you can make whatever rules you want. Otherwise, let's just appreciate this gift of a lifestyle change community.

Humbly,

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    I agree with what you are saying but...a website is not like a "home." The online world is public domain. Therefore, your metaphor is flawed...
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    No one is trying to change the house rules. At least that I have seen, people are just trying to offer suggestions to enhance the experience when visiting MFP forums. If the owner decides to act on any of the suggestions, kudos, if not, kudos too.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Mike can shut his site down whenever he wants therefore it isn't truly "public".
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    No one is trying to change the house rules. At least that I have seen, people are just trying to offer suggestions to enhance the experience when visiting MFP forums. If the owner decides to act on any of the suggestions, kudos, if not, kudos too.

Plus, he asked for our feedback.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Nice job Cessnaholly! I'm not going to lie, I was one of those people this past week that got in a bit of a tizzy over everything that was going on. But I had a lightbulb moment last night. And you so very amazingly articulated exactly what I forgot about this site. Thanks, I needed this today!
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Great post! The only negative about this site is the whiners who complain about Mike and how he won't do this and he wont do that and he deleted that post but he won't delete that post, just shut the hell up and enjoy the place :)
  • luvmybeebees
    luvmybeebees Posts: 681 Member
    Well said! The rules are set out for everyone to read and follow - or not. Your choice, right? So if you want to be here, follow the basic guidelines, and enjoy what's being offered - support, friendship and all the MFP tools to help you on your journey.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    There is always room for growth and change. But only if it benefits all!
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    If you don't like it, get out of his house :P
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Once your website starts making money and posting advertisements it is totally open to critique :) Doesn't mean he has to take it *LOL*
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    AMEM!! Please use this site for what it was truly meant to be.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member

Plus, he asked for our feedback.
    And when someone said this in HIS thread, "Mike's house Mike's rules" he himself said, "No, not exactly." That's not what he means. By starting a new thread saying so makes me think you are trying to start an argument. Can we just let these dogs lie and give Mike an easy day today?
  • See horse fall.
    See horse die.
    See people grab sticks and beat horse.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Great post! The only negative about this site is the whiners who complain about Mike and how he won't do this and he wont do that and he deleted that post but he won't delete that post, just shut the hell up and enjoy the place :)

^^ this
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Well said.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    See horse fall.
    See horse die.
    See people grab sticks and beat horse.

LOL. How many calories do you think that burns?

In my office, they determined that we don't need a gym because people already get plenty of exercise jumping to conclusions, running down their colleagues, side-stepping responsibility, beating dead horses, and pushing their luck. :wink:
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Yes! Agreed!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    I reject the notion that if its someone else's house, only their rules apply.

If we actually went to Mike's actual house and someone started acting like a jerk, they would still be a jerk, even if Mike hadn't laid out rules explicitly saying "Don't be a jerk by doing x,y,z".
    And if we went over to Mike's actual house and there was something really stupid, it would be in our rights to discuss it and complain.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Mike can shut his site down whenever he wants therefore it isn't truly "public".

No, the internet is public domain. The site can be "shut down," but it never truly goes away... Clearly you don't understand the internet. Many people don't actually.