Quick Healthy Meals?

Options
CVALGAL
CVALGAL Posts: 108 Member
I am looking for some healthy meals that can be cooked up quickly (Like 20 minutes or less.) for those busy days in the week. I don't want to fall prey to the fast food giants out there! I need some that will feed a family of four. Anybody got any suggestions?

Replies

• ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I made up a batch of spaghetti sauce and froze half.
    When we were ready for the frozen one, I took it out the day before and then just tossed it in the microwave to warm at dinner time.
    Small amount of pasta (which you could cooked earlier in the day) and a fresh salad and dinner was ready.

Otherwise, things like ham, chicken, pork, could all be cooked earlier in the day or the day before and warmed. Or use cold in a salad.

I have to plan out our meals so we have good foods on soccer nights (which is 3 nights a week). However, we usually allow one eat out night. Tonight is Chick-fil-a.

So, my point is to either make meals big enough to split and eat the next night or make some freeze ahead dishes.

If you bake a chicken and have it one night, have chicken sandwichs, chicken salad, or something simiilar the next night.
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    This recipe took less than 10 minutes (15 if you include prep time) and was really good!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/08/quick-skillet-steak-with-onions-and.html

I used frozen sandwich steaks and sliced them before I cooked them.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    One of my family's favorites is at eatingwell.com -- BBQ Chicken Burritos. It's tasty and super fast. Another thing I do is cook big batches of some of my favorite hearty soup/stews to freeze in pints or quarts. The heat back up quickly (even from frozen) and they're homemade!
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i am disabled so i cant stand for any length of time.
    all my meals are very quickly prepared.
    i use my microwave alot, my oven frequently & my stove top occasionally.
    i have a few staples in my menu. they are....

breakfast:
    oatmeal
    whole wheat english muffins
    peanut butter

lunch:
    salad; either romaine with different low cal or fat free dressings (i like the hidden valley kits)
    or baby spinach with a bit of fruit or berries on it with almonds or pecans or walnuts
    my fav dressing is the raspberry vinagrette
    sometimes i add to my lunch a yogurt, or a piece of fruit or a sandwich (like tuna & light miracle whip on 35 calorie per slice wheat bread)

dinner:
    baked fish or boneless skinless chicken breast (i change up the seasoning topping so it doesnt get boring)
    steamed frozen veggies topped with grated parmesan cheese (the mixed stir fry ones are awesome just steamed)
    if i have extra calories to burn i add brown rice. my fav is a texamati rice of brown, red, sometimes wild rice, sometimes mixed with lentils, or something else yummy.

snacks:
    besides fresh fruit &/or veggies, i like:
    fiber one 90 calorie granola bars or brownies are yummy
    air popped popcorn w/light butter & little salt is low cal & filling!!!
    yogurt any kind; fruit flavored or parfaits (80-120 cal)
    dark chocolate (just a couple squares is great & satisfying & under 100 calories)

drinks:
    LOTS of water
    & occasionally a cup or 2 of coffee

big no-no's for me:
    soda, candy, junk food etc
    & processed foods like canned soups, canned or boxed foods (its too high in sodium!)
    & no processed meats like sausages & lunch meats (too high in nitrates, sodium, & fats etc)

occassional & in moderation everything else :)

i keep everything basic, quick & easy. & what a difference its made in my life!!
    i hope you find what your looking for, & most of all: balance! :flowerforyou:
    good luck!