"Learning to Run"-open support group

Options

Replies

• abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Olson87, do they hurt less? Or do they continue to ache?

I did week one day two of the C25K programme today. It felt good to be exerising. I can't wait to be able to run for longer.

You will be able to run longer!!! It will happen faster then you think too!!! When I started running (just 2 months ago) I couldnt even run for 3 straight minutes......now I can run 7 miles with only 5mins of walking in it!!! I know somedays it seems like you'll never get there, but I promise you will, you just have to stick with it!!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Well, after finishing a 5k on Saturday, I downloaded the Bridge to 10k program :laugh: No idea how it's gonna go, but I figured I'd try!
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am going home to do week 5 day 2 on C25K. Cant believe that I have made it to week 5. Never been a runner, or should I say jogger as that is a much close description but I am doing it and to me its a major achievement. I really hope to be able to complete the C25K.

I would like to be able to do the race for life next year and to do it jogging rather than walking.
    This is me exactly! I just did week 5, day 1 tonigt. It felt awesome. I am having some shin splints now, though...

I'm happy to join your group! Looks like you guys have been making inspiring progress!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Well, after finishing a 5k on Saturday, I downloaded the Bridge to 10k program :laugh: No idea how it's gonna go, but I figured I'd try!
    And so it goes, right? I run my first official race, which is a 10K, this Sunday. Since I run/walk intervals, I found it to be pretty easy to extend the distance past 3 miles. I may now end up running the Half marathon in the Rock N Roll Las Vegas the first weekend in December, and while that would have freaked me out a few months ago, I know that I can keep going past the 6 mile mark without a problem, and if I have to walk more, I'll walk more.
  • bregalad5
    Options
    And so it goes, right? I run my first official race, which is a 10K, this Sunday. Since I run/walk intervals, I found it to be pretty easy to extend the distance past 3 miles. I may now end up running the Half marathon in the Rock N Roll Las Vegas the first weekend in December, and while that would have freaked me out a few months ago, I know that I can keep going past the 6 mile mark without a problem, and if I have to walk more, I'll walk more.

Awesome! I'm pretty excited to try it out. I think I'll get started on it tomorrow :smile:
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    So, what does everyone plan to do on the 5K off season? I livein the northeast, so it's too cold for 5Ksin the wintertime. I'm afraid I'll lose all of my endurance during the off-season. Since my last 5K was two weeks ago, I haven't been able to bring myself to run again. Mentally, I'm just not motivated if I don't have a race to train for. Any ideas to keep me going? What kind of training do you do on the off-season?

Thanks,
    Shannon
  • mormas
    mormas Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I am in the northeast too and I will run outside as long as possible...right now its still in high 60's where I live and once it is too cold I guess I will switch to running on the treadmill.....not sure what else to do to keep training????
  • mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Options
    I just stumbled upon this thread! I completed week 5 day 1 of C25K. I am thinking of not using the program anymore, cause I'm finding that I really just want to keep going. I ran my first 5 K ever on a whim (literally found and registered for it one day before it happened) It was so incredible I came home and found another one to register for next month. I am however having problems with shin splints. Even after being fitted for shoes and orthodics. I have invested instead in Vibram Five Fingers and will try that out slowly, so maybe staying with C25K for that. I've been doing all my at home workouts barefoot (or in socks) and it prevents my shins from hurting. Anyway, it would be great to add some of you as friends here for support and motivation! It seems a lot of my "friends" here have fizzled out on their working out...
  • mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Options
    Oh I should mention, that after this 5K this weekend, it's addicting... so my goal is to complete one 5K per month for the months of Oct, Nov, Dec, and Jan. 10K Feb & Mar, and 1/2 Marathon in April...
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    So, what does everyone plan to do on the 5K off season? I livein the northeast, so it's too cold for 5Ksin the wintertime. I'm afraid I'll lose all of my endurance during the off-season. Since my last 5K was two weeks ago, I haven't been able to bring myself to run again. Mentally, I'm just not motivated if I don't have a race to train for. Any ideas to keep me going? What kind of training do you do on the off-season?

Thanks,
    Shannon
    I'm a newbie, so I haven't ran through any winters yet, but I'm just planning on going out whenever the weather permits. I do use a gym, so I'll probably hop on the treadmill sometimes, but I don't want that to by my typical workout. I do a lot of spinning and other activities, but I don't want to lose my specific endourance for running.

Anyway, I'm in the Midwest, my RL runner friends run through the winter. They strap on YakTracks if it's icy, and bundle up, I guess. One of my marathon-runner friends said she has a mask, but she really only uses it if it's well below zero. I think I will try their tips, though I don't know if I can comfortably strap YakTracks on the Vibram 5 Fingers I'm trying to get used to... That's more what I'm worried about-- my feet getting cold in those! Here anyway, our weather is in spurts-- when we get a foot or two of snow, we're likely to have roads cleared in a day or two, and we'll get well below zero, but after a few days it'll "warm up" to 0. So I'm thinking I'll just truck through. And possibly be REALLY happy to see Spring. LOL
  • Taryn1627
    Taryn1627 Posts: 120
    Options
    I do a "bootcamp" style workout 4 days a week. There is A LOT of running involved and I just can't keep up! I want to be able to at least finish a lap like everyone else! Eventually I'd like to be able to do the 3 laps at the beginning as well as the 3 laps at the end!!!
  • soniyamas
    soniyamas Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi!

My Couch 25k plan starts on monday next week, mixed in with some weight training at the gym on the rest days.

Last time I tried to run I felt like my lungs were going to collapse, my heart was being slowly eaten by fire ants and I was ready to chuck up my own toenails, so hopefully c25k will help me build gradually without causing me to have a massive coronary!

Exact same thing happened to me. I started C25K (I am currently on week 3) and now my body organs do not protest that much..
  • SueInAz
    Options

Thanks,
    Shannon
    I am actually just coming out of the off-season here. I live in Tucson, so it's really hot in the summer and nice in the winter. I did all of my running super early in the morning while the temps were in the 70s and 80s during the summer. I am now looking forward to running in more "normal" temperatures.

If I'd belonged to a gym, I'd probably have used a treadmill this summer. I know a lot of people here do. You just need to make sure you have it set to a very slight incline (1-2%) to give you some resistance and simulate road conditions.

I tried to find some local 5Ks this summer and there really just weren't any. Race season is just starting here. I have a 10K on Sunday, a 5K on Friday the 28th and I'm registered for the 5K at the Tinkerbell run at Disneyland in January. I'm also planning to run in a 10K on Veteran's Day. I may be running the Half marathon at the Las Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon at the beginning of December (eep! may not be ready for that one!) and I'm in the process of registering for the Half at the Arizona Rock N Roll Marathon in January. I'll probably try to find a few 5K and 10K runs in December, too.
  • PrincessStubbie
    PrincessStubbie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    After repeating week 3 of my C25k, I started week 4 yesterday...I also got fitted for new running shoes yesterday...new week, new shoes, new pains...LOL to my seasoned runners I ask...is that typical when wearing new shoes? I am assuming after a few runs I will get used to them...

I feel I am going to have to double up week 4 too! The longer runs are starting to get hard for me, but I don't want to give up, so I repeat weeks. Another problem I have found for me is if I go 2 days without running, it is hard for me to run on that 3rd day so I am only resting one day between runs.

Another question to my seasoned runners...is it okay to walk on rest days or is that a no-no?

I would like to end by saying, runners are AWESOME people...I have never felt more welcoming by a group of people...they love to talk to you about running and are always happy to give you advice and suggestions. I was afraid to go to the running store to get fitted because, honestly, I am a large person and I thought I would be looked at like some freak, but NO WAY, that salesman was sooooo friendly and he treated me like a runner, not by what I look like...and another customer in the store chimed in when I had questions about running in 5K's and she was super sweet and both were encouraging...it felt great! I am glad I decided to start running as a way to get healthy! I can't wait until I can be helpful, supportive, and encouraging to someone else!
  • SueInAz
    Options
    After repeating week 3 of my C25k, I started week 4 yesterday...I also got fitted for new running shoes yesterday...new week, new shoes, new pains...LOL to my seasoned runners I ask...is that typical when wearing new shoes? I am assuming after a few runs I will get used to them...

I feel I am going to have to double up week 4 too! The longer runs are starting to get hard for me, but I don't want to give up, so I repeat weeks. Another problem I have found for me is if I go 2 days without running, it is hard for me to run on that 3rd day so I am only resting one day between runs.
    You might consider continuing to run and walk in intervals. I decided to continue that route and I'm currently run/walking at a pace of about an 11 minute mile. You might look up Jeff Galloway and decide for yourself. http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html
    Another question to my seasoned runners...is it okay to walk on rest days or is that a no-no?
    Walking is great between runs. Any low or non-impact activity is fine on the days in between running. You just don't want to do anything else which might put stress on your joints so they have time to recover.
    I would like to end by saying, runners are AWESOME people...I have never felt more welcoming by a group of people...they love to talk to you about running and are always happy to give you advice and suggestions. I was afraid to go to the running store to get fitted because, honestly, I am a large person and I thought I would be looked at like some freak, but NO WAY, that salesman was sooooo friendly and he treated me like a runner, not by what I look like...and another customer in the store chimed in when I had questions about running in 5K's and she was super sweet and both were encouraging...it felt great! I am glad I decided to start running as a way to get healthy! I can't wait until I can be helpful, supportive, and encouraging to someone else!
    Way to go! I echo your sentiment. I never thought I would enjoy running, especially since I'm starting in my mid-40s, but I'm actually having a lot of fun with it.
  • bregalad5
    Options
    I signed up for this last night:

This professionally supervised five month program is designed to safely guide folks of all abilities to their individual Ten Miler running goals.

The group will be broken into at least four different program levels based on each person's individual current training regimen. First time or out-of-shape folks are especially encouraged to join us for the 24th edition of this popular training program (over 4,200 have participated in this program over the years).

The overall goal of the program is to guide each individual to a safe and successful completion of the area's oldest footrace and to make exercise a permanent part of each participant's lifestyle!

The program includes:

Comprehensive 21-week program with daily training schedule for all levels and abilities
    Saturday morning group long runs in various pace groups led by friendly C10TP Captains who will keep you motivated to train through the cold winter!
    (beginning Saturday, October 29, 2011 - March 17, 2012)
    Weekly email newsletter with a message from your coach, tips on training, program updates, and other useful information
    Optional track sessions
    Social networking opportunities and events

WHEN: The Training Program will meet as a group every Saturday at 8:00 a.m. beginning Saturday, October 29, 2011 for a quick lecture, tips, and a group run.
    Attendance at these weekly group runs is optional.
  • PrincessStubbie
    Options
    Thanks Sue! I will look into that information! :happy:
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Thanks Sue! I will look into that information! :happy:
    Good luck!

It occurred to me that I forgot to mention your shoe issue since I can relate.

I started running in April using "running" shoes I'd purchased awhile back for general use. My right knee started to bother me after a few days. I switched to a newer pair of cross trainers at that point and had no issues with them until I started running more than 4 miles at a time but that issue was because they weren't big enough and my toes were getting jammed. In August, I went to the running store and was fitted for a pair of shoes. My right knee got a little twingey again, and they were also still a little too small, so I took them back a month later (the store is 2 hours away, so it took planning) and got a completely different brand (my heels were slipping when I went another half size up in the original brand). I am now happy with my shoes and can run 6 miles without any issues.

My point is, if your new pains continue past the first week or two, do not hesitate to take the shoes back to the store. They should have some sort of return policy (Roadrunner Sports offers 90 days for their VIP members) so you can get something different if the ones you bought don't work out. Don't continue to run in shoes that are causing you any sort of pain.
  • PrincessStubbie
    Options
    Thanks again!