How does one know what their Goal Weight should really be?

Options
I am not sure if the weight that I picked as my goal weight is right or not. Does anyone know if it just comes naturally? I have heard that it is hard to stop losing from one other mfp. I think I might have to stay at my GW for awhile and see if it where I want to stay. I just don't know yet! If you have your own experiences, plz oh, plz tell me ur story.....thanks! I need some ideas, of how you are feeling and how it is working for you?

S.W. 234 lbs
C.W. 227 lbs.
semi-mini goal~~~~215 lbs on my 55th birthday~~~~~Oct. 19th (way to go MFP!!!! :):)<3 u
G.W. 145 lbs. (My favorite weight pre-baby was 125 lbs.)

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I just lose until I my body feels and looks great!
  • LenaNicole15
    Options
    Hey :), I know what you mean...I often get lost and/or confused when people that are the exact same height as me or the same weight have a way different GW than me. It often gets me thinking, "is my GW not right? Should I make it less, or more? " Basically, I decided that, for my height, my proper GW is 150lbs...I figured this out by using a BMI calculator and finding out what weight would make me have a healthy BMI. However, I also believe that if your body is at its perfect weight, you'll know. Good luck! :)
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Its all about you being happy with they way you look and feel...and also having a healthy BMI.. There will be a time where your body will not lose anymore weight..and you feel perfectly fine..and are happy with the results.

I would also consult with a doctor.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My goal weight has changed numerous times over the last 6 months! Starting at 246 here were my goals.

I first wanted to get out of the 240s, then 230s, etc....I wanted to be 1xx pounds and see it on the scale! ONEderland is fab!
    When I got married I weghed 190, so that was like "THE" goal by my 12th wedding annivesary this coming Dec. Once I hit 190 and realize hm...Im still not "healthy" lets keep going....so I did... Then I worked my way down to the 180s, 170s, etc.....My next goal set up was to be in the HEALTHY bmi range which for me at 5 9 is 169 and lower....The 169 is the TOP of "healthy". Well I got to 165 and decided I'd like to lose a few more pounds...So 10 pounds later at 155, Im maintaing and see how I "work" in my new body. There is always room for improvement in my mind for me :)
  • mike737
    Options
    I set my fist goal of 14 stone. Stayed really focused and hit is before I knew it. But I set that goal thinking this was another fad and didn't get my hopes up. So now I want to be 13 stone, which isn't coming as easy.

My opinion is to set realistic goals and tick them off as you pass them till your happy.

Personally if I had set a goal of loosing say 4stone, I would have broken down and given up by now.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5" and I don't have a specific number I'm working toward, I have a range that's in the middle of my BMI. I'm aiming to be somewhere between 125 and 140. I know that's a big range and I'll just have to see how I look and feel when I reach the upper end. My main goal is go to get to a healthy body fat percentage. I have a fairly muscular, compact frame so I'm betting that even in great shape with low body fat and nice muscle definition I may still be heavier than I'd like. But, my health is what's most important, not the number on the scale. So if I'm heavy with muscle and bone I won't be upset if I stay at 140.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have never been a small petite person so I just picked a weight I am confortable with. Your doctor can tell you what is suppose to be your ideal weight based on charts and the like but for me, that figure has always been unrealistic. The smallest lady size I have ever worn is a size 12. Since I have never been a size 6, I don't expect to be a size 6 now. Just choose what you are confortable with and when you get there, you can re-evaluate the situation.
  • Gay11nell
    Gay11nell Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, its about how you want to look and feel and BE HEALTHY at the same time. My SW: 240, CW: 199.6, I'm already dwn two dress sizes. So being GW: 180/170 is the smallest I want to be and can maintain - even though the "calculator" states that I will still be obesed-Ha! At the end of the day its all about what makes you happy and healthy.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I know medicaly fir my height I'm suposed to be between 103-136 pounds , I picked 130 as just a good place to know I'm healthy and then after that if I continue a few more pounds then great :)