toned arms in ~4wks: possible?

Options
Well, I have to go to a wedding in early October and my dress is sleeveless. I've always had scrawny arms (and very little upper body strength) my whole life -- and now that I'm thirtymumblemumble, they're starting to get a little bat-wingy besides. Even modified (read: "girly") push-ups are almost impossible for me BUT I think I could handle some small hand weights.

I'm not looking to get ripped; I just want a little more tone/definition/strength... could I get that in about 4 weeks? And if so, how?

Replies

• russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm 53 and managed! Try some 'half' press ups, and some reverse dips.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Anything is possible... lots and lots of curls and upper body weights. Push-ups also good.
  • ryan92408
    Options
    Check out Jamie Eason on Body Building dot Com - she has lots of great work out programs. If you lift heavy enough you will see a huge change in 4 weeks.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Heavier weights at fewer reps give bigger muscles. Lighter weights at more reps makes you stronger and makes your muscles more marked (visible to the eye).
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    If you can't do full push-ups, try doing them against a counter top or edge of a table. That uses less of an "Angle of Attack" allowing you to do more.

Then once you have those, find something lower, like the edge of a chair, until you can do them from the floor.

Your body will adapt to whatever stimulus you challenge yourself to do. If you can only do one....that's fine. Try again tomorrow and I bet you'll do 2.....then 3....then 4.

One step at a time leads you to the destination...whatever it may be.

Cheers!
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It definitely is! I did the 30DS back in July, and my arms really came a long way in that time (in definition, not bulk). Push ups, push ups, push ups, haha. Also, incorporating light weights into things like shadow boxing made a huge difference :)
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Doing the first 10 days of the 30 Day Shred DVD had me seeing so much shoulder definition that I just never thought I could get! It might only be a 20 minute workout a day but boy does Jillian get you results!

So I say yes, it is possible!
  • dannylives
    Options
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You can certainly "firm up" your arms but definition comes down to Bodyfat %

With such a short timescale I would suggest keeping it simple. Bicep curls and kickbacks.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    If you can't do full push-ups, try doing them against a counter top or edge of a table. That uses less of an "Angle of Attack" allowing you to do more.

Then once you have those, find something lower, like the edge of a chair, until you can do them from the floor.

Your body will adapt to whatever stimulus you challenge yourself to do. If you can only do one....that's fine. Try again tomorrow and I bet you'll do 2.....then 3....then 4.

One step at a time leads you to the destination...whatever it may be.

Cheers!

^^^ Agreed. I could hardly do push ups and now, after months of working at it, I can do so much more than I thought possible. And this has translated into my newest goal: to do pullups. Give the pushups a go. Start against the counter in the kitchen. Then after you can do these, start using the steps or chair/couch. Just keep challenging yourself and you'll see results. Not sure if you'll see the results you are looking for in 4 weeks but if you keep at it, you WILL see progress.
  • tsarperknip
    Options
    Thanks so far everyone -- if I tried hand weights, any idea how much weight I should get? (I don't belong to a gym, so I'm probably just going to pick up a pair of weights from Target.) 5lbs or more like 15? I should add, I would like to have more upper body strength in the long run; I'm just thinking short-term goals in the interim.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Just try them in the shop, and pick up some that will push you, rather than the easy ones.
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I got amazing results with just 3 lb weights on the 30DS.