Crock Pot Pulled Beef Brisket from last night

Options
328.jpg

5-6 lbs of trimmed as lean as humanly possible beef brisket. Marinate a minimum of 24 hrs in your favorite marinade ( I was lazy and used a bottled one, this time it happened to be Stubbs but I haven't found one I love yet like I have for fajita marinade). Cook on low 7-8 hrs with a little of the marinade or about 1 cup of beef broth just to keep it moist until it starts to make its own liquid. Then the work starts. Take it out, let it cool, and discard the liquid. Then "pull" the meat (separate the strings of meat from the little bit of fat and the lots of connective tissue that hold it all together--sorry, I know that's disgusting). If you just grab the ends of the muscle strands and pull they just slide right out and what is left behind can be discarded. You end up with a pile of pulled beef.

To make the sandwiches I used a petite Kaiser roll from the Target bakery, cut and toasted and spread with a little mustard. I added some pickles and 3 ounces of meat mixed with 2 Tbsp. of my favorite BBQ sauce. My calories for the whole sandwich ended up at 360. Yours will differ depending on the type of bread and sauce and of course if you butter the bread before toasting it adds a few but it adds another level of yum. It was a good change from burgers, it kept the sweetie (who only eats "man food") happy, it cooks all day while I'm at work (even though it takes a bit of time to pull), and it's always good to break out the crock pot for fall.

**I usually buy a big one (13 lbs or so) and cut it in half. I freeze half and cook half. 5-6 lbs is about what you want for an average crock pot. Even if I could cook more, that is about all we can eat of it before we get bored with it or it has been in the fridge too long.

Replies