Backwards Sit-Ups Are the Best for Love Handles and Back Fat

Options
Hey everyone! So I know I've said somewhere on this site that my love handles are my most stubborn fat spot. I know you cannot only lose weight on one part of your body but I know sit ups target the abs, pushups target the abs and arms, etc, etc. I've never been able to find a work out to target the love handles.Yes I've seen the side crunches and what not. But my love handles go around my whole torso...like I'm wearing a tire. So I've found just the thing.

I work at a sports complex where there is a gymnasium for gymnast...the other day I saw two girls on top of a high mat (like 4 ft off the ground) one girl layed on her stomach and moved her upper body off the mat so that only her legs were on the mat and her head is almost touching the ground.

The other girl sat on her legs to make sure she didnt flip over. The the girl lying down started at a 90 degree angle and using her back muscles, she lifted her torso up as high as she could.

Heres a link to a video if you're confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_dSk5TXZeg

THE ALTERNATIVE

since I do not have a gymnastics mat, I used the arm of my couch. My husband was too lazy to hold my legs so I put my feet under the counch cushions and put my body at a 90 degree angle over the arm of the couch. YOU WILL FEEL IT BURNING! but it feels so good to know im getting rid of this aweful tire. Let me know what you think!

Replies

• Fockertots
    Options
    We had to do these in cheerleading and they work WONDERS!!!
    We had a nazi for a coach and I lost 40 pounds in one season... crazy.
    Alas, this exercise is incredible and you feel amazing after you're done. We had to hold weights in our arms to add more work for our torso.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Just watching that video made my lower back hurt! I don't know if my poor body could handle that kind of move. LOL.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    oooh I wanna try it!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Sounds like something to try .... at least it would be interesting :wink:
  • zaiikaa
    zaiikaa Posts: 112
    Options
    I know it as the roman chair - love these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_FfXNsJh4
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I think she could be a contortionist...
    no way everybody could bend that far back unless they were :noway:
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. :smile:
  • mama22girlz
    Options
    I don't think I can bend THAT much like in the video (I thought the poor girl was going to smack her head on the table) I need to add that to my list of exercises I can do at home. Thanks
  • chelef
    chelef Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I know it as the roman chair - love these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_FfXNsJh4

Ahh! Thanks! I never knew the real name for them!
  • LuckyGirl2422
    Options
    You can also you a large excercise ball or grab a set of free weights, maybe 5-10 LBS, stand feet shoulder width apart, slight bend at the knee. hold the weights in each hand, bend down from your back to the ground and slowly come back up making sure youre using your back muscles.
  • kvmuddle
    kvmuddle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow! Really good stuff...Thank you! I have no husband (lazy or otherwise, LOL), so maybe I'll train my dog and cat to hold me down :D
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I would recommend back extensions (with weights if you want) instead of trying this particular move to avoid hyperextension and injury.
  • Gay11nell
    Gay11nell Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Okay! I watched the video, I may not be able to perform it like that little girl, but it's do-able, with a exercise ball.
  • lparsel
    lparsel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow that 8 year old is ridiculously flexible! I am going to try them out! I have an exercise I like to do, I get on a workout ball and instead of being on my back I go to my side but I tilt slightly forward. I use a wall to keep my stability with my feet at an angle on the wall. For extra fat burning I use a medicine ball. I hope that workout makes since, but i do feel it work! Goodluck!