Does jogging give you muscles elsewhere?

Options
I did my c25k jog yesterday and it is the 11 minute jog. Today I am sore in my obliques. Does jogging help give muscles other places than just the legs? Awesome!

Replies

• outersoul
    Options
    I think it does because you have to engage your core at some point while running. I tend to get tense in my shoulders when I run too.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It helps to get rid of the belly fat... esp if you do HIIT
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Running does involve your core, so you might feel sore there is you are new to running, but it won't particularly build or tone muscles there - rather, doing core strength work will help your running, particularly posture and breathing.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    When I was training for a marathon, I noticed that my waist trimmed down (I've got quite a muffin top) and my arms looked more cut.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    It helps to get rid of the belly fat... esp if you do HIIT

What is HIIT?
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    When I was training for a marathon, I noticed that my waist trimmed down (I've got quite a muffin top) and my arms looked more cut.

How can arms look more cut from running?
  • mhopp71
    mhopp71 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    according to Live Strong's web site, only in extreme long distance running would you burn muscle. The soreness is from the tissue breakdown in the muscles. It is very common to be sore all through out.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Because of the overall fat loss.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    When I was just running, my legs looked good but the rest of me actually felt flabbier (probably because I was burning fat but not toning those areas). It wasn't until I started doing other workouts (Jillian Michaels) that my arms and stomach looked good.
  • loubullard
    Options
    HIIT = high intensity interval training.

basically if you jog for 30 mins at the same pace on a consistent basis, your body gets used to it and plateaus. When that happens, you have to step up your work out by sprinting for 30sec or a min, and repeat that process in intervals. By doing that your heart rate increases and makes your body increasing hot. Therefore you will burn even after the exercise is done.

So if you shorten your run to 15mins and push yourself with the HIIT, you will get more fat loss than a lack luster 30min easy jog
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I am noticing less back flab and toner abs. Also my arms look better.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

Because of the overall fat loss.

And you swing your arms when you run/jog.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    according to Live Strong's web site, only in extreme long distance running would you burn muscle.

Would you expect Nike to say otherwise?
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options

basically if you jog for 30 mins at the same pace on a consistent basis, your body gets used to it and plateaus. When that happens, you have to step up your work out by sprinting for 30sec or a min, and repeat that process in intervals. By doing that your heart rate increases and makes your body increasing hot. Therefore you will burn even after the exercise is done.

So if you shorten your run to 15mins and push yourself with the HIIT, you will get more fat loss than a lack luster 30min easy jog

Good to know...thanks. I should try this tonight.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Good to know. I think after I am comfortable jogging my 5K then I'll start the interval training. I'm still too new, I think, to try that. :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Does running and screaming from that mean *kitten* bull that always chases me, count as HIT?

I've got to find a new trail...
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    LOL it must do :laugh:
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Does running and screaming from that mean *kitten* bull that always chases me, count as HIT?

I've got to find a new trail...

You have a bull that chases you? Or am I missing something here?