HELP: TONING FOR WOMEN! Where do I even start??

Options
Hello fitness pals :)

I've been doing the cardio & eating better thing & it has been paying off. However I've heard all kinds of awesome stuff about building muscle. I understand I should be doing some sort of toning but heck, I have no idea where to start :(

What is great inexpensive way to start in my own home? Any resources you can recommend?

I have a resistance band & a few weights but nothing fancy at home. I won't be joinging the gym so please don't recommend that.. that may be something for my journey later but just need to get started :)

Thanks in advance for your time & help!

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I rely heavily on bodybuilding.com...Right now I'm doing the 12 week fat loss program, it's fantastic...
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Bump! I've been on for a while doing the cardio stuff but realizing that I REALLLLY need to add some toning with no idea where to begin!
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    That's the reason I did Jillian's 30 Day Shred Video....I felt like it was a good start to working with weights. And I saw my biceps forming early on which was a great motivator. I like the video cuz it has it all, abs, cardio and weights.

After I did that I went to Supreme 90 which is 10 DVDs working with weights and cardio too. It would be tough for me to do anything that didn't involve weights now. I love it!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Pilates is a great way to strengthen your core. And I have a resistance band and have found free workouts to use it with on ExerciseTV.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I do ChaLEAN Extreme at home, which some people may think is expensive ($90), but to me, is pretty much the same as paying every month to go to a gym. It's a really great strength training program, and forces you to lift very heavy/create as much resistance as possible until you reach failure within a certain amount of reps (10-12 reps for the first month, 6-8 for the second month, 10-12 again for the third month). The basic program comes with a resistance band and a lower body band, both of which are used in the videos (in fact, Chalene shows you how to use the Bowflex SelectTech weights, free weights, and resistance bands). You will also learn a variety of strength exercises you can take with you if/when you decide to go to a gym and lift.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Start Simple.

How many pushups can you do? How many free squats and lunges can you do with full range of motion?

You don't need any complex workouts, equipment, DVD's or anything. Just a simple outline of something you do every other day to challenge your body into doing new things you haven't previously asked it to do.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Find strength training that you like - it can be anything from pilates, power yoga, body weight, handweights, or resistance bands.

If you have access to Netflix - you can watch (a few) instantly or get others in the mail

Instant play: 10 Minute Solutions Rapid Results Pilates is good
    10 Minute Solutions Target Toning (not a favorite)

Crunch Super Slimdown - this is a fusion of pilates & power yoga - LOVE this one
    Crunch Total Resculpt is good

Crunch Bootcamp Training is a good circuit workout (combines cardio & weights) - I like this one, my knees not so much
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody.... got some ideas for programs I will def be looking at! Also like the simple idea of push-ups & squats & stuff at home!

Great help! Thanks again :flowerforyou: