what to bring to a tailgating potluck?

Options
rbryntes
rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
Hi all,

My work is having a Redskins vs. Cowboys tailgating party (in the office) this coming Monday. People are bringing in hot dogs, hamburgers, rolls, etc. I want to bring in something healthy, but I'm getting stumped as to what.

Note: this is in the office so I'm limited with resources, but can cook beforehand.

I have no problem cooking difficult recipes (I like to cook and bake), but I am schlepping into work on the Metro, so portability is a plus.

I do not own a grill, but I have a slow cooker and a grill pan/panini press.

Vegetables/side dishes or desserts is what I'm aiming for.

Thanks!

Replies

• kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I wish more questions were posted like this (clearly stated, understandable context and limitations, etc.) The lazy alternative would be: "Help! What do I bring to a tailgate party?"

Anyway.. Do you have a crock pot? A good stew or pot of beans can be a great healthy compliment to tailgate food. Might be hard with portability, but if you cooked the night before and cooled it down, could maybe use tupperware or empty glass juice containers or similar. Either microwave are work, or bring crock pot to heat back up. Depending on how bumpy the Metro is, you can sometimes get away with just covering the the crock pot with wrap, then put the lid on, then covering the whole thing. Put in canvas bad. Travel.
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    How about a yummy pumpkin dip with fresh sliced apples?

This is a super yummy dip recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-dip-10000000549850/

I make it every Fall!
  • darklord48
    darklord48 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Personally I always like when people bring homemade salsas/dips. You could make some veggie chips for the healthy eaters, and bring normal chips for others.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Personally I always like when people bring homemade salsas/dips. You could make some veggie chips for the healthy eaters, and bring normal chips for others.

This ^ or maybe hummus and veggies. You could pack it in a little cooler...well, depending on how crowded your metro ride is (it sucks, doesn't it.)
  • lisasbig30
    Options
    How about a simple vegetable and fruit tray? Very easy to transport since all can be carried in a ziploc bag until time to eat.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    How about shrimp and cocktail sauce. Good lean protein choice. I'd bring a bed of ice to put it out on for your tailgate.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Pasta salad is always a hit and it's healthy just carb heavy. It's easy to make in advance, just bring some extra dressing and re-toss at work since the pasta sucks a lot of it up overnight.

Mix cooked rotini with diced red and green peppers, purple onions, pepper and low-cal Italian dressing.
  • rbryntes
    Options
    depending on how crowded your metro ride is (it sucks, doesn't it.)

Yeah. I ride the Orange line from West Falls Church (I walk, it take about 5 minutes) to McPherson Square, and I work about a block from the station. This would be the very worst part of the DC Metro system, folks.

The plus side is that I can come in early (like 6 am) which makes it still crowded, but not like the 8:30 am ride.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm something my mom and I made for a party last week was kale-slaw and everyone loved it.

We used kale from Trader Joe's (already cut and ready to go for those w/ limited time) and then made a coleslaw dressing to put over it with some shredded carrots and sliced almonds.
    Green onions, sesame seeds, raisins, whatever else you like in your coleslaw are all tasty too.

Edit to add: This is also really easy to transport in whatever tupperware you have, or even a ziploc bag if you can keep it from getting too squashed.
  • rbryntes
    Options
    I wish more questions were posted like this (clearly stated, understandable context and limitations, etc.) The lazy alternative would be: "Help! What do I bring to a tailgate party?"

Awww...thanks!
    Anyway.. Do you have a crock pot? A good stew or pot of beans can be a great healthy compliment to tailgate food. Might be hard with portability, but if you cooked the night before and cooled it down, could maybe use tupperware or empty glass juice containers or similar. Either microwave are work, or bring crock pot to heat back up. Depending on how bumpy the Metro is, you can sometimes get away with just covering the the crock pot with wrap, then put the lid on, then covering the whole thing. Put in canvas bad. Travel.

Yep to crock pot (I think I said I had a slow cooker, maybe I forgot to put that in). Stew or beans, huh? *ponders*

The thing is, I bring in a gym bag (with my work clothes and shoes, I usually wear my workout clothes to work and workout in the morning at the gym in the building, and shower and change there), plus a medium-sized picnic cooler with frozen ice block thingies (the technical term) to carry my breakfast, lunch, and morning and afternoon snacks. It's like, maybe 10-15 pounds, easily. I'm thinking of how much I will need to carry that day...

of course, if I gave in and ate the hot dogs they'll be serving here, I won't need to bring in my lunch cooler, will I?

*ponders some more*
  • rbryntes
    Options
    Oooh...I should totally make this!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    This ^ or maybe hummus and veggies.
    I will elbow small children out of the way for some good homemade hummus and veggies.
  • ilookthetype
    Options
    depending on how crowded your metro ride is (it sucks, doesn't it.)

Yeah. I ride the Orange line from West Falls Church (I walk, it take about 5 minutes) to McPherson Square, and I work about a block from the station. This would be the very worst part of the DC Metro system, folks.

The plus side is that I can come in early (like 6 am) which makes it still crowded, but not like the 8:30 am ride.

I live on the Orange line too! We have to meet up (WFC is where I pick it up too, but mostly I just bus to work now)!

The Metro during rush hour is standing room only, up close and personal, at least you're pretty early on the way in, so it's not CRAZY crowded..
  • rbryntes
    Options
    Well, the consensus seems to be for dips, so I think I'll go with dips (maybe a yogurt-honey-curry veggie dip and hummus and the pumpkin dip for fruit), and I'll bring in fruit and veggies. I *may* add something like tabouleh salad or the aforementioned kale slaw or healthy deviled eggs. If I feel ambitious, maybe I could throw up some melted chocolate for a fondue for the "unhealthy" folks. *ponders some more*

Thank you everyone! Keep the ideas coming!
  • ilookthetype
    Options
    I will elbow small children out of the way for some good homemade hummus and veggies.

I like you.
  • rbryntes
    Options
    I live on the Orange line too! We have to meet up (WFC is where I pick it up too, but mostly I just bus to work now)!

The Metro during rush hour is standing room only, up close and personal, at least you're pretty early on the way in, so it's not CRAZY crowded..

Squee! I bet I've seen you! Where do you work? Which bus do you take? I live *right* next to WFC.
  • rbryntes
    Options

Hmmm. I make a good roasted garlic hummus. And I just bought a new bottle of tahini the other day.
  • rbryntes
    Options

I like you.

I like him too.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I posted this recipe: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/342003-crisp-fall-veggie-salad

I haven't made it yet, but the photo made it look AMAZING and I think it'd be really easy. Not to mention healthy as all get out. :)

Have fun!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    omg, a good chili at a tailgate party is great. it can be eaten by itself, or used as a dip with chips. personally, i like it with brown rice, but you can't exactly bring that to a tailgate... but its in the office, so go for it. and you can make a turkey chili, which is a little better for you, and trust me, no one will know the difference!