Meatloaf - how do you make yours

2»

Replies

• herillusion
    herillusion Posts: 62 Member
    Ground turkey!
    Don't knock it til you try it.

Use this recipe for meatloaf or patties.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/actually-delicious-turkey-burgers/detail.aspx

I LOVE TURKEY. Actually love it more than beef most of the time unless I get the 93/7 lean beef.
  • Healthy way.... 1 lb ground turkey breast. 1/2 cup finely chopped Red Onion, 1/4 cup egg beaters, 2 TBSP catsup, 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs, OR 3 slices Ezekiel bread whirred through the food processor. Wet bread/crumbs with catsup,egg beaters, and worcestershire. Add 2tsp.garlic powder...Mix in onion, and mix in Turkey brest. Pour additional worcestershire sauce over the top!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Ground turkey!
    Don't knock it til you try it.

Use this recipe for meatloaf or patties.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/actually-delicious-turkey-burgers/detail.aspx

I LOVE TURKEY. Actually love it more than beef most of the time unless I get the 93/7 lean beef.

You won't be disappointed with this recipe then. I was shocked at how good the burgers were.
  • I typically use my mother's recipe and it translates well to lightening up a bit.

1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I use lean or I use part ground turkey),

about 1/3 of a cup of uncooked old fashioned oatmeal,

finely chopped or even shredded onion (however much you want. I like to cook it a little first),

1 egg (I use egg beaters or just egg whites now),

part of a can of stewed tomatoes (maybe 1/2-3/4 because I like to cook my meatloaf in a pan and this is what helps it stay juicy),

salt and pepper and any other seasonings you might want.

It does very well in a muffin pan and then I can freeze individual portions more easily. I do let the water and oil that cooks out drain before serving. This recipe isn't for everyone. It goes back and long time in my family as a simple and hearty meatloaf, though.

I just figured this up in "my recipes" for calories, and at 8 servings it works out to 184 calories. Not bad.

Now I want it to get a little cooler around here so that I can crank up the oven for meatloaf! Now that I have posted, I see someone else uses oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs!
  • by the dashboard light....

SORRY.. i know i know i know... i fought the urge to post it, alas... my impish alter ego got the better of me..
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Here are some I have used for my family (I am a vegetarian so I don''t eat the) and they LOVE them:

Bufflo Chicken-Blue cheese meat loaf

Olive oil spray
    2/3 cup old-fashion oats
    1/2cup fat-free milk
    21/2tbsp buffalo wing sauce (or more to taste)
    1lb extra-lean ground chicken breast
    1/2 cup finely chopped celery
    1/4cup shredded carrot
    1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
    2lg egg whites, lightly beaten
    1/4tsp salt
    2oz crumbled reduced fat blue cheese

350 degree ove, lightly mist a 9x5x3 nonstick loaf pan with the olive oil spray
    combine the oats and milk in a medium mixing bowl and stir to mix. Let stand for 3 minutes or until the oats begin to soften. Stir in the wing sauce until well mixed. Add the chicken, celery, carrots, onion, egg whites and salt. With a fork or clean hands mix the ingredients well. Add the blue cheese and gently mix to combine.

Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and spread so that the tip is flat. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through and no longer pink. Cut into 8 slices and serve immediately.

263calories 35g protein 14g carbs 6g fat 2g sat fat 74mg cholesterol 2g fiber and 485mg sodium

BBQ- Bacon meat loaf-

1 cup chopped red onion
    4 slices of extra lean turkey bacon chopped
    2/3 cups old fashion oats
    1/2cup fat free milk
    1lb egg whites lightly beaten
    1 clove garlic minced
    1tsp worcestershire sauce
    1/8tsp salt
    1/3 cup bbq sauce (7gr carbs or less per 2tbsp)

350 degrees 35-40 min let stand 10 min before cutting into 8 slices.

Spray loaf pan. Place a medium skillet over meium high heat. Lightly mist the pan with spray and add the onion and bacon. Cook, stirring for 6-8 minutes or until the onion is tender and just barely starting to brown and the bacon is crisped. Remove the pan from the heat and allow mixture to cool.

Combine the oats and milk in a medium mixing bowl and stir to mix. Let the mixture stand for 3min or until the oats begin to soften. Add the cooled onion and bacon mixture the chicken egg whites garlic, Worcestershire sauce and salt. With a fork or clean hands mix the ingredients until well combined.

Put in loaf pan and spread so the top is flat. Spread the bbq sauce evenly over the top and bake.

258 calories, 35g protein, 20g carbs, 3g fat, 76mg cholesterol, 2g fiber, 529mg sodium.

Sloppy Joe Meat Loaf-

Olive oil spray
    2/3 cup old fashioned oats
    1/3 cup + 1/4 cup+ 1/4 cup canned sloppy joe sauce
    2lg egg whites lightly beaten
    1lb 96% lean ground beef (I used ground chicken)
    1/3 cup minced green bell pepper
    1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
    1 clove fresh garlic, minced

Preheat oven 350 degrees and spay loaft pan with olive oil spray.

In a medium bowl combine the oats, 1/3cup +1/4cup of sloppy joe mix and the egg whites. Let the mix stand for 3 min or until the oats begin to soften. Add the meat, bell pepper, onion and garlic. With a fork or clean hands mix the ingredients until well combined.

Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and spread so that the top is flat. Spread the remaining 1/4 cup sloppy joe sauce evenly over the top. Bake for 30 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink in the center. Let sit for 10 minutes. Cut into 8 slices and serve.

225 calories, 27g protein, 16g carbs, 5g fat (2g sat fat), 60mg cholesterol, 3g fiber, 410mg sodium
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Another way to season ground turkey meatloaf that I have found is to use (sorry - I am not a PRECISE cook) Garlic and Herb Mrs. Dash, a BIT of salt (preferably sea salt, tastewise), and a BUNCH of Hungarian Paprika. You can also use Lipton Onion Soup Mix and the Paprika. Turkey, onion, and paprika is a REALLY tasty combination.

In beef meatloaf, it's onion, bell peppers, crimini mushrooms, and the ever-present oatmeal. I've also tried mixing in orange marmalade and tomato into beef (along with onions and worcestershire sauce). Another favorite is to use tamari sauce (watch the SALT, though) and Montreal Steak seasoning (I like it spicy) with rosemary and additional garlic.

All of the above suggestions have an egg and plain oatmeal. I tend to use 1.5-2 pounds of meat.
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Wow KZOsMommy, those are EXCELLENT suggestions, and I appreciate the nutrition info.!
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Minced beaf 10 procent fat, crumbread mixed with some milk that ill leave for about 15 min then mix with the meat, salt, onion, pepper, french mustard, egg and then I fold it in bacon. YUMMY!
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    bump
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    saving for later :)
  • I just made these the other night, they were fantastic! The only thing I changed was because I forgot to buy seasoned breadcrumbs, I used saltines and some garlic salt and Italian seasoning and black pepper. I also used Italian seasoning to sprinkle on top of the 'frosting'

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/08/skinny-meatloaf-cupcakes-with-mashed.html

2qbuo1j.jpg
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    I have only ever made it once with mincemeat 800g, breadcrumbs about a cup full, 1 carrot and 1 onion and 1 egg and the tomato sauce topping it tasted great but feel apart anyone know what I did wrong?? Thanks
  • This looks amazing!!!!!!!!
  • herillusion
    herillusion Posts: 62 Member

Well I didn't follow the recipe but the idea is awesome. My son, who is 4 years old, always complains I give him too much. :) So the muffin size is a perfect size and it took half the time to cook it too.

I love putting lots of oatmeal in mine in order to get more fiber with the meal. :)