Clean Eating Question

Options
I am just starting to research clean eating. I love the idea of it, but I am a reformed processed foods junky, so I haven't yet embraced it fully...baby steps! Luckily I was raised by a hippie health nut (essentially clean eating, a lot of trail mix and granola!) so I have a taste for good, healthy food. My question is about carbs. I understand that clean eating means eating complex carbs, but do you count/limit carbs? If so, what are your daily goals? For instance, today I ate a banana, a banana nakd bar, some vegetable-bean chili, and a couple of other carb heavy items. For me it was a carb heavy day, but it was very good in terms of eating clean. I guess I'm conflicted. Any advice/ideas?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    No need to restrict them :D focus on your baby sets to clean eating. Carbs are not the enemy! Even though you had carb heavy meals you go SO MANY nutrients and vitamins today, congrats!
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    something popular is 40/30/30 = carb/fat/protein
    those are percent in your daily intake
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm on Team Carbs and don't think all carbs are created equal.

For instance, you're better off getting your carbs from a healthy FIBER-filled, NUTRIENT-filled chili than you'll ever be with a bag of gummy bears.

If the carbohydrate-rich food has fiber (which you need to keep your colon cleaned out (and is a colon cancer preventative) and has vital nutrients that your body needs to function properly, I see no wrong in it, as long as you stay under calories and exercise regularly.

It's not like I'm a runway model who HAS to have a super lean body or a bodybuilder. If I was, I'd be an Atkins, rah rah protein junkie. Otherwise, if I have some healthy curves from eating nutritious foods, then so be it. I think more in terms of "healthy" rather than "skinny".
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Interesting...today I was 60/10/30. I'll look in to that, thanks!
  • kgh826
    kgh826 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with other folks postings.. its the quality of the carbs that is the key. Carbs have gotten a bad rap but are necessary for your body.
    Clean eating doesn't restrict eating pasta, etc..my take is its more about eating less processed foods and having balanced meals.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I find 50% carbs works well for me. When I tried to go low, I felt hungry and cr@ppy. I know lots of people do well on low-carb, but not I. I like my veggies (carbs!) and I have a little fruit (just ate a cup of strawberries - that will be it for fruit for today). I eat things like oatmeal, quinoa, barley, whole wheat pasta, occassionally brown rice. I try to cook dinners and save left-overs for lunch. unfortunately, sometimes I need to grab a Healthy Choice frozen lunch when I get stuck. I wish they made them with (besides less sodium) whole grain pasta/rice.

I eat beans. I make my own veggies and meat stock. I make my own pasta sauce. I atea little ragu the other day on my tortellini's. Holy cr@p, I had no idea how much sodium they stick in there. Are they nuts?
  • holmesd450
    holmesd450 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I eat 5/35/60 carbs/protein/fat, but my diet is different then yours :P
  • 4cookiesmom
    Options
    I am a carb junkie. I could never limit my carbs and feel satisfied. I just focus on eating whole grain (not white) pastas, breads and snacks for the majority of the time and treat myself to the not so clean carbs on occasion. I also try to have a protein with each meal and snack. Helps keep me fuller than just carbs alone.