late night workout - does it keep you up?

Options
is it true if you work out late at night (like right now at 9:30ish) that i won't be able to go to sleep for a while? i was planning on working out at 8pm but my son had a hysterical crying fit for an hour :cry:

i am upset and frustrated now both because of my poor little guys scream fest and because i didn't work out today. this is why i just need to knock it out in the morning.

uuuggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• SaraWojcik19
    SaraWojcik19 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    is it true if you work out late at night (like right now at 9:30ish) that i won't be able to go to sleep for a while? i was planning on working out at 8pm but my son had a hysterical crying fit for an hour :cry:

i am upset and frustrated now both because of my poor little guys scream fest and because i didn't work out today. this is why i just need to knock it out in the morning.

uuuggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Michelle09
    Michelle09 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I normally like to be done with my workout and home by 7pm...last night I didn't get home from the gym until after 8:30pm and yes..it kept me up. I am sure everyone is different, but it takes me a while to come down from a workout. Hope you can get a work out in tomorrow! :)
  • SaraWojcik19
    Options
    i was kinda thinking the same thing. i'm only like 20 calories over for the day which i suppose isn't too bad.............just feel like i didn't come thru. i'll be sure to go at it first thing in the am.
  • CrystalClear
    Options
    Well personally I never get to my workout until about 9-10
    I know its horrible but I like to know that I am doing SOMETHING, and I am busy most of the day with school. So I see what you mean. I personally find no problem getting to sleep but I know some people who do. One suggestion is after your workout take a warm shower. It relaxes your body so you can get to sleep easier.
    hope this helps! :smile:
  • SaraWojcik19
    Options
    i think i'm too miserable and self pitying right now to get off my *kitten*. boohoo poor me. i had a bad night. i'll sleep it off and start fresh tomorrow.
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think it's usually cardio that will keep you up...maybe you could do some free weights or some stretching to tide you over til tomorrow.
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I usually work at in the evenings due to me working during the day. I am usually home after 6pm and I am usually at the gym by 7pm and I work out for about 45mins to an hour. I am usually not up much long after 11pm. I usually get a good work out in and then shower and pretty tired. So I usually curl up in bed and sleep like a baby, I am usually on the go from about 5am till about 11pm every night. I am a full time student and work full time and take care of my two girls. So I have been trying to do things for me now.
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    Every body is different...I work out from 9-10 pm...sometimes longer depending on the stress of the day...but with 2 kids and working 11-12 hour days, I don't have time any where else to fit it in...and I think its better than nothing right? I am always in bed before 11pm. Once I'm done with a workout, I take a shower...relaxing...and if I think I will have a hard time falling asleep, I have a cup of hot tea. Yummy!!!
  • SaraWojcik19
    Options
    cardio is what i need to do. i am working on prepping for a 5k so i need to run. i ain't doing so hot yet!
    don't mind me i'm having a pity party tonight.................and no you aren't invited............:sad:
  • bonski
    bonski Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't think it keeps me up. I have worked out as late at 10:00 PM and slept like a baby. As a matter of fact I think it makes me sleep better.

Bonnie
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is suppose to stay up for 4 hours after working out, but if your tired you should be able to relax.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    cardio is what i need to do. i am working on prepping for a 5k so i need to run. i ain't doing so hot yet!
    don't mind me i'm having a pity party tonight.................and no you aren't invited............:sad:

Hey! I've been feeling sorry for myself all day. You can't take that away from me......oh, well - okay. I guess I'm about done with it. :sad: :cry: :grumble: :explode: :angry: :frown:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I do a late BodyPump class on Tues b/c I love the instructor that teaches at that time! I usually am a little pumped when I get home, but my hubby and kids are all in bed and I can just do what I want so it is kind of nice!
  • shayk80
    shayk80 Posts: 56
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. Last night I was only able to workout at 11:30pm. And that was because that is when I was finished with school work (online) and putting my son to bed, cleaning up from dinner etc. I work everyday from 8am to about 6pm then come home, cook dinner, clean up from dinner, play with my son, get him ready for bed, get online for school and by the time I have a minutes to relax, it is time to workout. I just wish there was a better way. After I worked out last night, I jumped in the shower and was in bed asleep by 12:30am.

Now if only I could wake up at 5am and exercise but my problem is getting up out of bed.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It's really a personal thing. Cardio will perk me right up, but an intense lifting session at any time of day will leave me wanting to take a nap.
  • SaraWojcik19
    Options
    you sound exactly like me!!! don't you wish there were 25 hours in a day!!!!!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It keeps me up, so I usually take a Melatonin to help me fall asleep. They work and non addictive.:smile:
  • borac
    borac Posts: 174
    Options
    sith my schedule for the first 2 years i always had to work out late in the night.. and yes there were nights when I would step of the treadmill right arround 0.30 am .. i know crazy .. and my day starts arround 6 : 00 am.. but i just didn't want anymore excuses.. if you really want to change you have to dig- and no it will not always be fun.. i'd like to be in bed arround 9 pm like all
    " normal people " in my house..

Since I changed jobs and have a little more time.. i'm able to workout at 5 am in the morning.. before work

Actually - i slept much better when I worked out in the night, after the shower I think i was just dead .. and slept like a baby

i think it depends from person to person.. you have to try it out to know

I feel better to do it in the am , just because it " wakes me up, have energy trhrough out the day.. eat less ! .. and when I get home i can actually = just relax ..