Want to help someone?

Options
Today I decided I wanted to go through my friends list and see who hasn't logged on in a while. I hear a lot of people say that when they see friends that haven't logged in for a while, they delete them. I on the other hand, thought of a different idea.

I decided I'd instead of deleting, I'd send a private message to check on them and see how they're doing and offer my support. I sent two, and one of them did me back with some questions and say they wanted to get back on track. That's the thing I love about this site, we can help motivate each other. I know some of you help motivate me every day, so why not give a little back :)

Just a thought... if each of us went through and did this today, we could help so many people that might be on the verge of giving up! What if that was you, would that help you try to get back on track?

Replies

• jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    That is a wonderful idea!
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I did this a couple of weeks ago, too. Heard back from three (which was great), but they're not back consistently. Got to thinkin' maybe that's not as big a deal to them as it is to me. Regardless, I like the philosophy behind reaching out. Sometimes that nudge is all it takes. So go, you. :)
  • Bodyforlife2011
    Options
    You are the friend everyone needs!! Keep up the great work!
  • aim2lose
    aim2lose Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    That is what I do if my friends haven't checked in in a while. If still no response after a month or two, I will delete them. I hate to do it but after 3 months and no action, I think it is time.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options

That sammich looks like a wonderful idea!
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I did this a couple of weeks ago, too. Heard back from three (which was great), but they're not back consistently. Got to thinkin' maybe that's not as big a deal to them as it is to me. Regardless, I like the philosophy behind reaching out. Sometimes that nudge is all it takes. So go, you. :)
    ^^this. If they're not going to do it there's nothing I can say... maybe they're just not ready and they can refriend me when they are but I can't let their ambivalence affect my journey. I'm fighting for my health.
  • Faery7
    Faery7 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    ^^this. If they're not going to do it there's nothing I can say... maybe they're just not ready and they can refriend me when they are but I can't let their ambivalence affect my journey. I'm fighting for my health.

I agree with this, makes sense. This is the first time I've tried it, and I agree, this is about my journey, but part of me is helping others, and if I can make that a part of my journey I'll be happy. I know we can't force someone to care, and if they don't, that'll be obvious, but giving up on them before I give them a chance, wouldn't be for me.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    that's usually what I do
    however there are a few on my list that are gone for days at a time
    then come back for a day or two only to be gone for a week or longer again.
    of course I don't know why and it's none of my business, but to me,
    it's almost like they're not taking the weight loss seriously.
    Or, giving the the benefit of the doubt, maybe they're busy or something?

All I know is I would like to keep the people, that are as serious
    about weight loss as I am, on my list.
    If they've not logged in for two weeks straight even after messaging them,
    is usually when I remove people.
  • Faery7
    Faery7 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

That sammich looks like a wonderful idea!

LOL that looks exactly like the sammich I had for lunch today :)
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    this is why been friends come's into its self and things like that show you have not forgotten them and we need friends and supporters like this so welldone and keep up the good work
  • 4cookiesmom
    Options
    This is a great idea. You never know who may need your support at the very time you reach out.