Does spinning build leg muscles?

I've started doing spinning again after an abdominal injury (just a bad pulled muscle somewhere.) Previously I was spinning three times a week, and doing P90 twice a week, between spin days. Spinning was hard and I was having a hard time building endurance/stamina in spin.

Anyhow, three weeks off, and now I'm back in my fourth week of spin. But even in that first week and a half, I noticed a decent increase in stamina. Able to peddle out of saddle longer (position three.) This time back, I've not been doing P90 at all, nor any other weights training. I am attributing my spin stamina increase to the fact that I get a full days rest between spin.

But what I've been reading on these forums is that I am possibly eating into my muscle mass with my cardio. So I wondered - do my spin routines (probably the uphill high resistance) build muscle? I thought I would get some fat burned off first before I went back to weights, but now I'm worried I'm burning off what little muscle I do have. If I'm at least building leg muscle, then I'll probably avoid other weights for another month while I progress in spin.

What do you think? Good course of action? Or should I get back to weights ASAP?

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    I did a spinning class with a marine at my gym this summer and the answer to your question is YES! We would do certain tracks focused on glutes, quads, abs, everything! I didn't know you could do all of it on a bike...and he was AMAZING.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    IDK how true this is but someone told me once that because spinning is one of the most intense fat burning workouts you actually can burn muscle too when spinning too much if you don't back it up with strength training to keep the muscles in your legs.
  • Spinning does indeed build leg muscles, very well actually. If you're worried about eating muscle from cardio, don't be because it's mostly a myth. You would need to be starving yourself and doing cardio like a madman for days in a row for that to happen. I'd also advise you to take a scoop of protein powder after your cardio routine. I usually take a scoop after every spinning class.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    I also found I built leg muscles (and my legs really toned up/slimmed down, but I have a lot of weight to lose) from spin class. As Malibuhydro wrote, I also do a scoop of protein powder after spin class. I think for one month until you are recovered, you will be ok.
  • ericthred
    ericthred Posts: 9 Member
    Spinning does indeed build leg muscles, very well actually. If you're worried about eating muscle from cardio, don't be because it's mostly a myth. You would need to be starving yourself and doing cardio for a madman for days in a row for that to happen. I'd also advise you to take a scoop of protein powder after your cardio routine. I usually take a scoop after every spinning class.

I do drink a chocolate milk that has 20g protein in it - thats probably ok to, yeah? Though I know it comes with all that sugar and, well, its milk. But its a nice treat to look forward to after the workout. And I've heard sugar within 20 minutes or so after an intense workout usually burns right up anyhow

Thanks for the reply!